StromTrooper banner

Can't get into the club!

5K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  LoloPD 
#1 ·
I've Been trying this whole month to get a 2017 v-strom 650xt. Still haven't got any serious word about when they will get in, apparently there was a hold up in production. Anyone else having this trouble?

#2 ·
My dealer in town does not stock the 2017's yet for some reason. They said it takes about 1-2 weeks to get one in. They received a yellow DL650XT this week that was sold, so no test ride. I stopped by and was able to swing a leg over it. It feels and looks slimmer and lower than my wee.

A dealer 25 miles away, in Idaho, has a black one on the floor that I will test ride next week. They said the same thing, about 1-2 weeks to get one in.

#3 ·
Where I live, there is only the one single suzuki dealer, and they are not very big. Actually for the whole island (Newfoundland, Canada) adventure style motorcycles don't seem to popular.
The dealer is trying to push a 2016 vstrom 1000 on me, but the price isn't good enough for me to sacrifice spoked wheels and the new electrical systems. What sucks is I work away from home (one month on, one month off) and come June 2, I'm back at it.

#12 ·
Odd. I would have thought Newfoundland wold be a hot bed of Adv riding! The maritimes - Ferry - St. Johns is on my bucket list!

#4 ·
My local shop had a white one and a black '17. I went in to buy the white one, but a yellow one was fresh off the truck so I got it. Both the white and black were sold and there are two new black ones on the floor.
Doesn't appear to be a shortage around here.

#5 · (Edited)
Delivery dtaes have been slipping in Canada... At least they got rid of all the 2016s... Once they are on the boat the dealer should be able to get vin codes and configuration.

Can you shop where you work and ride home instead? (Alberta?)

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Lol! I wish, I wouldn't be able to pack all my gear and make the trek, and I'm not ready mentally to do that yet haha.

I was in to see the dealer today. There are "some" between here and British Columbia and my home Newfoundland. They told me that the demand for XT models was much more than suzuki estimated globally, so I might have to wait even longer. It want thoae spoke wheels.

#7 ·
I wanted to get a std version this spring but the $$$ isn't there due to vacations.

Don't care for the white std so now I want a black XT! Found a few with a $500 discount in Illinois.

Still going to get one, but not right now.

#11 ·
Jealous of the two 650s. This will be my first strom, and if all goes well, if I upgrade to a 1000, then wife gets the 650 to her own.

Luggage is going to be a wait. I'm thinking about getting a givi top case, or maybe a reckless 80L... I like the price point of the reckless, but I don't really plan to do much adventuring. Soft cases are appealing to me. But the moto panniers I think are too expensive. Haven't looked to much at givi top case and reckless or mosko panniers (living in Canada makes paying for shipping a hassle)

#14 · (Edited)
I found a standard white version (not a white fan) for sale at the local dealer for $7599.00! Was going to get a quote this morning but...

I'd need to get a loan and haven't got any overtime for a while so. :crying2:

I guess they will make more?

#18 · (Edited)
Got a quote of around $8500 OTD yesterday for a white std version. Local dealer has only a $250 BS set up fee.

They told me to go to a credit union for a loan. Hop on SV and go to CU, check credit score 834! :hurray:

They say I can get a loan for $7k @ 2.1% no problem. So essentially I can get the bike today if I really try hard.

BUT, I need to refinance my house first so not going to get a new V-strom quite yet. :serious:

#19 · (Edited)
Slight update
Just home and went to the dealer. Originally I was looking for black, but there is a white "XT". It didn't have the engine plastic cover, but the spoke wheel and hand covers were there... But it also comes with saddle bags. After me telling them about the cover, and pointing out the bracket mounts for the cover, they found one lol.
Originally I didn't want the bags, just an XT. After all the trouble I've had the last two months trying to get an XT, I wasn't paying for the bags. So they tried to move the bags from the 2017 650 to a 2016 1000. But after all the hassle they got them selves into, they end up offering me the bike at XT price, with the saddle bags. Should have it tomorrow!

#21 ·
I got it! Trying to break it in now is a chore. No more than 5000 RPM for the first 800KM, it's a drag lol.
But the bike is awesome. Still playing with the windscreen, its a little noisy. I'm surprised they didn't put the same adjusting windshield as is on the 1000. But oh well.
The saddle bags are small, good for some snacks. But they come off so easy and fast, they have their purpose. I'm just happy I didn't pay for them!

#22 · (Edited)
The (only) dealer in Manila Philippines can't even give me a date when the XT will be available. In June I was told 'end of July'. Now into September I'm still waiting.....

Edit..... Only a few days after posting the above, my dealer emailed me to tell me my XT had arrived in the showroom.
My only problem now is - I'm 2000km away in Shanghai.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.