StromTrooper banner

Error on oil capacity

19K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  greywolf 
#1 ·
I just noticed an error under Specifications on the link below from Suzuki where it gives the Oil Capacity.

V-Strom650

The US is places where it should be Imperial quarts.
It gives the capacity as 3.0L, assuming this is correct. The US quarts should be 3.17 and the Imperial quarts should be 2.639. They have the US and Imperial quarts reversed. Hopefully when the owners manuals were printed they got it right.

#4 ·
Using quarts must be an American thing. Even back when we used Imperial measures, we used pints to refer to engine fill capacity. I can't recall ever seeing quarts in a workshop manual/owner's handbook. (I might go and flick through my collection of old manuals left over from previous car ownership to confirm.)

If we bought a small container of oil, it might have been marked 1 quart but the next larger container would be marked as 1 gallon. Today, the equivalent containers would be 1 litre, and 4 or 5 litres.

#5 ·
#7 ·
Oh, please...Can't you put in two QUARTS, it's what you get at the auto parts/motorcycle dealer. Or if you buy it by the gallon as some of us do, fill it to the line and run the bike and it will fill the filter you just put on and all the oil passages. Then you shut it off and wait for the system to settle and fill to the line again.
If you actually went to college and got a degree and can't do something so simple as put oil in your bike, you should not be allowed to vote!
Just take it to the dealer where some high school drop out will do it for you.

#8 ·
Not even the dealer got it right where I purchased my used bike on Vancouver Island. The weather has been too crappy to bother putting insurance on and taking her for a ride so I've spent the past 2.5 months adding a few farkles. One thing I added was a center stand. Shortly after, I noticed the sight glass showing an over full oil level. I found that strange since the dealer assured me they changed the oil along with a few other items they serviced prior to me purchasing. Anyway, I drained 2 cups from the sump and I'm still on the slightly high side on the sight glass. Brutal!

#9 ·
With the bike on the center stand, the proper full level is near the top of the window. The stock marks are for both tires on the ground with the bike held level.

#13 ·
So just went down stairs and got my son to hold the flashlight on the sight glass and observe the oil level as I lowered the bike off the center stand onto the wheels. My son advised the oil level went up slightly. I was thinking I might not be holding the bike perfectly vertical so I pushed down on the center stand to the point that both feet were making contact with the cement floor but not lifting the bike. Assuming both sides of the center stand are in contact with the floor but not lifting one would think this is an indication of levelness...still oil level was very slightly higher than with the center stand fully deployed. Now I'm confused as the oil level should have dropped when set on the wheels? Anyway, I'm not too worried about it because I'm in the safe range between over and under full.

#10 ·
For the wee Just put in 3 qt's with filter change bike does not know the diff.....This is almost as bad as the BMW people trying to figure how to check the oil using the site glass....

#12 ·
When your an old BMW Rider you carry a rubber emergency engine soft plug, and plug the hole and keep going ... be sure to carry a rag to wipe the oil off your boot and tire ...:wink2:

#14 ·
The sight glass is in the front of the engine. If the bike is held in the same plane on the wheels as it is on the center stand, the level has to be higher when on the center stand. That's basic physics.

#24 ·
I am a technician and manuals we used to receive for Japanese equipment that had been translated to English used to be very entertaining reading. The other techs used to call them Jinglish manuals, it took a few years before they got it right, these days they are very good. Maybe Suzuki are using that old group of translation experts.:laugh2:
I have to say that the manual for my 1979 GS850 was much more professionally and grammatically correctly written that for my 2017 Wee3. I guess Suzi had to save some money somewhere to put traction control on this bike!

#19 ·
Aah but did they use the BMW oil to begin with?

And why all this isn't yet in big oil thread, maybe because noone had mentioned accelerated cam wear?
The thread that included accelerated cam wear got moved starting with this post that I moved to http://www.stromtrooper.com/4504930-post1968.html that included an oil brand name. That's why the thread got moved.

Refresh your memory on site rules. http://www.stromtrooper.com/rules-f...otorcycle-related-questions]/48470-rules.html

Notice it includes:

Although Stromtrooper.com, the site owner, Administrators and Moderators do not and can not review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, they reserve the right to move, edit, delete or close any posts or threads for any or no reason whatsoever.

You've stated your irritation with the movement of a thread to the Big Oil Thread with a number of posts. We're doing the best we can and do respond to valid criticism. Your criticism has been noted and I've decided to stick with the original move. I am now stating my irritation with you belaboring the point. Get over it.

#17 ·
It's supposed to be overful if you check it like that.

You''re doing it wrong (or describing what you're doing wrong)

Page 6-27 of the manual:

9. Replace the drain plug gasket with a new on. Reinstall the drain plug and gasket. Tighten the plug securely with a torque wrench. Pour 2750 ml (2.9/2.4 US/Imp. qt) of new engine oil through the filler hole and install the filler cap. Be sure to always specified engine oil described in the FUEL., ENGINE OIL AND COOLANT RECOMMENDATIONS sttection.

Drain plug tightening torque: 21 N-m (2.1 kgf-m, 15.0 lbf-ft)

NOTE: About 2400 ml (2.5/2.1 US/Imp. qt) of oil will be required when changing oil only

10. Start the engine (while the motorcycle is outside on level ground) and allow it to idle for three minutes.

11. Turn off the engine and wait approximately three minutes. Recheck the oil level on the engine oil inspection window while holding the motorcycle vertically. If it is lower than the "L" mark, add oil until the oil level is between "L" and "F" mark. Inspect the area around the drain plug and oil filter for leaks.

#22 ·
It's more like 0.4 quarts that gets left in the filter. It's not a big deal.

#23 · (Edited)
When I change the oil in my boat I leave old oil behind also! I pump the 75 to 100 gallons of Mobilguard 450 out and then get two barrels of new oil to fill the engine. Try as I may I can't get that 30 gallons or so out of the oil coolers, the filters and the strainers, not to mention the fifty feet of piping for all of that. Darn....I am leaving a lot of old oil in my two EMD 12V-567's!! How ever did they last for the past 75 years?

I am stroking you about your worry about a little bit of oil left behind...but the above is for real.....here I am starting her up after some engine work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-352jOXVS34

#25 ·
My favorite Jinglish translation---

-- On the driver instructions in a Japanese rental car.

When the passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn.
Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles
your passage, tootle him with vigour

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.