33K views 102 replies 51 participants last post by  RikMos 
#1 ·
Road version and XT

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
welperz, we got the shaft: no shaft.
Thankfully!

I sure like that other little tech improvements.. the starting assist (although i never saw any issues with our bikes starting) , the take-off assist (or whatever it's called) the ABS that seems in some way to work better when cornering, (and on the DL650 the addition of traction control plus the DL1000 etc.

..Tom

#4 ·
Back to Ugly. Can't stand the look of the Cyclops stacked head light. Kawasaki did away with it on their Versys 650 and 1000 LT a couple of years ago. Guess when it is time to replace my 2014 Wee 650 I will be looking at the Kawasaki Versys. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

#6 ·
Sounds like the Versys isn't all that, and more and more bikes are going to the stacked headlight configuration. I assume you hate the beaks as well, at least if I remember right? ;)

#10 ·
I like the XT color scheme, dig those gold wheels and the beak/lights don't bug me at all.

HATE, HATE, HATE that exhaust tho. HGTV has a new show this fall where hipsters move in to houses smaller than that ridiculous slab.

The Versys has exhaust aesthetics all figured out...out of sight, out of mind. The new Strom apparently wanted to add a few square meters of real estate for stickers or a map of eastern Asia. Cripes.

Also, still a low ground clearance and that will probably never change, but I'd hope someday a budget ADV offering gets its belly off the pavement.

#11 ·
I ride with a pillion often. One big issue with the 1000 is the height of the pillion foot pegs and the new 650 may also have raised footpegs on account of the larger muffler. I really want to like that new 1000. Suppose the pillion footpegs are still high, I rode a 2014 model in Greece for two weeks and loved the torque, brakes and suspension but really hated the hydraulic clutch and the slipper clutch in the mountain switchbacks...but...this is North America and roads are not like that here.....really slanting towards the 1000. No issues with the single lamp in the 1000 in the dark, but hey who rides that much in the dark...New tires and chain and a bunch of miles for my 2012 650 next year and depending on reviews etc, could be persuaded :)

#13 ·
2017 V/Wee strom

I just saw an article on the new for 17 Strom's. The 650 is very similar to the 2016, which is very similar to the 2011; that is to say, its still the same bike. There are a few engine refinements that may yield more power but no biggie. They added some sort of RMP booster that keeps you from stalling on takeoff but that's not an issue for most of us. The headlight is all new with a stacked rather than side by side look. And there is a beak. Other changes appear to be minor, like a new instrument pod and gas tank. If you thought the old one was ugly, you will not be swayed by the new model. There was no riding review so I don't know if there are any changes but if past upgrades are an indicator anyone who is satisfied with their current Strom will just be adding more farkle rather than jumping to the new bike. I'm always looking for "newer is better" but I've not been moved to trade in my 2007. maybe never.

#15 · (Edited)
I just saw an article on the new for 17 Strom's. The 650 is very similar to the 2016, which is very similar to the 2011; that is to say, its still the same bike.
What? Really? Its a completely new bike except for the frame and swingers. Engine the same but some very nice enhancements. Other than that EVERYTHING has changed. And I think it's a great looking bike. Hope to have the first one that hits my area.

Just to paraphrase your message: except for the wheels, headlights, dash, traction control, upgraded ABS, more power, starting assist, take off assist, gas tank, luggage rack, and instrument panel its basically the same as the 2016?
Exactly! Jeeze.

#14 ·
There are other threads on the subject. Before this gets closed or merged with them a thought:

Just to paraphrase your message: except for the wheels, headlights, dash, traction control, upgraded ABS, more power, starting assist, take off assist, gas tank, luggage rack, and instrument panel its basically the same as the 2016?

What would be a real change in your mind?

..Tom

#16 ·
There are other threads on the subject. Before this gets closed or merged with them a thought:

What would be a real change in your mind?

..Tom

I'm kinda curious as to what the difference is between take off assist and traction control. Is the take off assist like that of the liter bikes that allow you to leave hard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
knowing that the '17 SV650 has a revised engine, it should be no surprise the '17 DL650 would follow suit. The beak and stacked headlights? well, that's subjective now isn't it. I'm real curious about MSRP. Knowing Suzuki, it won't be published any time soon. For me, I'm glad I bought a '16.

#20 ·
For me, I'm glad I waited. Love the 17. I've been looking to replace my 2013, almost went with a Beemer F700. Can't wait to get that yellow 650 in the stable!

#21 ·
I found this useful comment on rider magazine's article on the new 650:

W.Wilkins
October 5, 2016 at 7:01 am
Having bought three new and now very well used (abused?) DL650 ‘Stroms I can attest that they are very good motorcycles. My latest ‘Strom, the 2015 “Beaker Bike” is a fine machine, but putting the new SV engine into the 2017 model is a no-brainer. The “old” engine is a jewel – it’s really the best thing about the bike – but the new engine makes more significant and positive changes than this article suggests.

Just a few examples, the SV package should mean that the new DL650 will have a better air box, Dual Throttle Valve (SDTV) fuel injection, a 10-hole, long-nosed fuel injector throttle body, reworked combustion chamber, NGK MR8E-9 projection plugs, much improved exhaust system with a mid-pipe catalytic converter, the very cool “automated” starting system. And, as far as the ECM goes the new DL will not only be able to order the secondary throttle valve to open and raise the engine speed to prevent stalling, it also has Suzuki’s SV650’s Diagnostic System (SDSII) that accesses data on the ECM to track errors found in 40 previous riding cycles. And, if that doesn’t yell improvement, the one thing that’s been ten years overdue is that the new engine will also use the SH847 series R/R instead of the old shunt type that’s been causing concern to ‘Strom owners since the first one rolled off the assembly line.

Whew, now that’s positive change. But, speaking of change – aside from the mill, the second best thing about the Wee Strom has been the price. Much pivots on that one feature, I hope Suzuki doesn’t ruin it for us who love a deal!

#23 ·
Whew, now that’s positive change. But, speaking of change – aside from the mill, the second best thing about the Wee Strom has been the price. Much pivots on that one feature, I hope Suzuki doesn’t ruin it for us who love a deal!
Good post and some solid gains but they have meet Yamaha's price performance challenge

#30 ·
Besides the new engine setup, it looks to be some integration of previous options. The traction control and the lighter socket are a nice stock addition, however I'm not a fan of the lower and larger muffler setup. I wonder if the new frame based rack setup is a play to exclude some other players? Will the new racks be their own or SW Motech based?

#33 ·
I had a few seat issues with my Glee cos I was sliding forward so I had a play & have fixed it now .

1/. moved the rubber grommets under the seat around because they come in 2 different thicknesses ( ordered some more of the lower profile ones from a dealer )

2/. put Techspec snakeskin rubber adhevisive on the sides of the tank so I can grip with my knees if sliding forward

3/. took the seat to an upholsterer to shave some foam off to make seat more level - worked a treat & not very expensive

Yeah I like the look of the Verseys 1000 & gonna try a test ride on a 2011 VFR1200 soon .

But I still like my DL650 & will definitely wait a year or two till any bugs on the new model are sorted thru

#34 ·
I look forward to seeing the 2017 next year. I'll probably be ready for a new bike next Spring.

I wonder how many farkles will carry over?

#35 ·
To those of you who don't see how different this new model truly is, perhaps you should do a bit more investigating. ;) No.......Zuk didn't do all the things which we were hoping for, but it most certainly is a step in the right direction. The 650 is the biggest seller for them hands down, price has a lot to do with that and bang for the buck. I can put on better bars, I can still upgrade the suspension and brakes, and I will have one helluva nice bike and still be cheaper than the competition. I still at this time am not swayed to go with the 1000, I really feel the 650 is overall better for me in 95% of situations.

#36 ·
... Suzuki Easy Start System, which fires up the engine with just a quick press of the starter button.
Does anyone know how Suzuki implements this Easy Start System on the SV650? The SV650 motor is the baseline / source motor for the 2017 650 Wee.

To me, this Easy Start sound suspiciously like the "auto-decompression" linkage on the DRZ400 (exhaust?) camshaft. It's a major candidate for removal, on the DRZ motor. Most seem to hate it.

#37 ·
I'm sure it is just electronics... Press the button and the computer tells the starter to keep cranking until it starts or until other parameters interfere.

..Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.