Clutch Safety Switch - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Clutch Safety Switch

Just a warning for anyone trying to take the clutch safety switch off of their 2012. They put a lot of thread locker on the screw and there is no way to get a screwdriver to turn it before it strips the head out. I had to drill the head off and then use visegrips to get the screw out. I had a starting problem is why I was pulling it off. Funny thing is after I took the switch off it started working. What's up with that?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

be aware that bypassing your clutch safety switch will affect your fuel map
99 SV650 (135,006 miles)
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
[URL="www.gbhsurvey.com"]www.gbhsurvey.com[/URL]
[IMG]http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/xv920r/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/IMG]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

What does the clutch have to do with fuel mapping?

What's the thought process behind that decision?

2012 G-Strom - White
Old 01-09-2013, 05:24 PM
$tromtrooper

that little switch feeds data through the 'puter.

for an interesting history lesson use the advanced search and go to threads by maine-iac re: clutch switch

apparently before 2007 it was just a switch in the starter circuit, in 07 it went through the ECU

Last edited by henerythe8th; 01-09-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yes, it kicks the red f1 light on. I'm waiting on the replacement screw. It resets when you turn the key off and takes a few shift cycles to kick back on. Hopefully the part will be here tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Moderator++

I just checked all the FI error codes to make sure. There is no error code that will be activated by a clutch switch problem. If there is an FI light, it is caused by something else. Short the White/Red & Black/White wires together, the two top wires in the second pic, on the dealer mode plug near the tail with a paper clip or short piece of wire to read the error code when an FI light is on.

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html

Last edited by greywolf; 01-09-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

The FI light problem didn't come up until I had the clutch switch problem. Anything else that would be related that would kick the light on? I will do the code check later when I get some time. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Moderator++

The switch affects the FI system settings so I guess it's possible. I've never heard of it happening before though. I don't think I've seen a report of an FI light on a Glee for anything yet.

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Old 01-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

The clutch Not-so-safety switch is usually one of the things I eliminate first on a bike that I'm going to be riding in inhospitable terrain. I guess until this is figured out completely, and since I'm not planning on abusing this bike off-road all the time, I'll just wait a bit. I have no doubt that the people on this forum will have it sorted out completely before long!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

Ok, did the code check and it's C65. I also did an net search and found another item that points to the switch kicking the code on. Finding out what C65 fi code is?? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
Havn't tried this link but it talks about someone that put aftermarket levers on and made the clutch safety switch not work properly. It was on a suzuki gsxr600. So apparently the clutch switch does confuse the computer and sets a code. Still waiting on the screw to remount the switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.