Pilot road 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Pilot road 3

Just installed them on my bike and they are fantastic. 1mile on them and the grip is better than anytime on the trail wings. 90% of my riding is interstate so wanted something that would last. Very happy with the purchase.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Let us know how they feel on gravel roads. I don't do very much dirt riding, but do find gravel often enough. Was considering these as a replacement next year as well.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Pilot Road 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donNewtonAlpha View Post
Just installed them on my bike and they are fantastic. 1mile on them and the grip is better than anytime on the trail wings. 90% of my riding is interstate so wanted something that would last. Very happy with the purchase.
PR3's are great tires for handling and pretty good in the wet as well. However, they are a relatively soft compond compared to our stock tires and if u do a lot of interstate they will square off in a relatively short length of time. They are a sport bike tire so the mileage unfortunately will not be anywhere near the trailwings. They will corner like there's no tomorrow however, and the feedback should be good as well. Good luck with your new tires.

P.S. I'll bet they're super smooth on the road and will seem to float along due to the type of compound.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have PR3s on my 2012 DL650. I got a bit over 15,000 miles out of the rear tire. The front tire is still on and will probably see around 20K or so out of them. The PR3s do not square off like several other tires I have seen. I realize that tire wear depends a lot on how you ride so take this as just one guy's experience.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarnr View Post
I have PR3s on my 2012 DL650. I got a bit over 15,000 miles out of the rear tire. The front tire is still on and will probably see around 20K or so out of them. The PR3s do not square off like several other tires I have seen. I realize that tire wear depends a lot on how you ride so take this as just one guy's experience.
So what mileage did you get out of your trailwings? I go 14,500, probably should have changed them a little sooner.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Moderator++

The PR3 Has a harder center compound for wear and softer sides to stick when leaned over. Get the Pilot Road 3 Trail for adventure tourers. The 19" front only comes in the Trail series. The Sport Touring series only had a 17" or 18" front. The 17" rear comes in Sport or Trail. The Sport will wear faster as its harder center section is narrower. Get the Trail and it should last well.

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Old 12-24-2012, 05:03 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have a set of PR3 on my bike.

After 7.000 miles they show less wear than the TW's did after 4.000 miles when I replaced them.

On tarmac PR3 is significantly better than TW - especially in the wet.
On gravel roads the TW are superior to the PR3 (no surprice), but as long as it's dry the PR3 can handle gravel/dirt just fine.

When the PR3 are worn out I'll replace them with a set of TW or similar as I like leaving the tarmac.

Last edited by Don_T; 12-24-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donNewtonAlpha View Post
So what mileage did you get out of your trailwings? I go 14,500, probably should have changed them a little sooner.
I replaced my Trailwings after I put a nail through the back tire, not because of wear. I could have gotten a few more miles out of my rear PR3 but the bike needed a valve adjustment so just decided to get everything done at the same time. Right now the front PR3 has about 18K on it and not even close to the wear bars.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have the Shinko 705's now and I think they are a bit too dirt so I'll try B023's next summer. I hear they are being replaced with T30's in europe. I liked the TW's for all around tires though.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have a PR3 on the front of my Vee and had a set of PR3's on my Versys previously. I don't intend to do much off-tarmac work, but they do fine on a dirt road and they have fantastic grip on the road and when it's raining. I'll be buying a PR3 for the rear of the Vee when the PR2 wears out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement