Seat Concepts - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Seat Concepts

Hi all,
Got my Concept Seat kit in this week, thought I'd share some thoughts and pics.

The stock seat is tough after about 1 and 1/2 hours for me, so I started to look around at the options. The Corbin's and Russell's, etc are all kind of pricey, and I'm sure they are good seats. I just didn't want to bring myself to spend that much on one. Most of the comments and feedback about Seat Concepts was good, and the price was right, about $190 shipped.

It all looked good in the box, and I grabbed my seat and removed the stock cover and foam. Big difference between the two. A lot more padding on the SC foam. I almost sent it back because I didn't want to mess it up, and I couldn't find anyone real local on the net. After thinking about it for a day, I said screw it, I'll just try it, what's the worst that can happen ? I have a nice staple gun I bought to do a dirt bike seat a few years ago ( a much easier seat to do, all straight , no big lips) for about $30, air powered.

I watched the video they recommended in their instructions, and got to work. I took my time, and it paid off. I think it came out great! Sitting on it feels a little higher, but it's hard to tell for sure. It's firmer, and I get more support across my butt, and the nut-buster curve in the front is gone. I've had a real problem in the past with my right hip- most seats tend to pull or separate the hip joints ever so slightly, and it really bothers my right one. This seat looks like it won't do that because of the broad, flat support. Keeping my fingers crossed! Here's some pics- A ride report will follow at some point if I get a chance to get out here in the northeast on the weekend.

It all started on a 1971 Kings dept store mini bike
1968 Suzuki TC120
1972 Suzuki TS90
197? Puch 175 MX
1972 Ossa Pioneer
1978 Suzuki PE 250 (2)
1975 Yamaha RD350
1982 Honda GL500
2003 Honda CRF 230
2001 KTM 300 EXC
1976 Suzuki GT550*
1972 Puch 175 MX*
2009 Yamaha WR250F
1982 Suzuki PE 175*
2012 DL650*

* currently in house
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Very nice looking, let us know how the longer ride tests go.

This looks like a great alternative to a pricey custom seat....
Old 12-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Nice

That looks like a pro did it. No wrinkles or anything.

I'm anxious to hear how it works on the longer rides. Who knows maybe we won't have to wait until spring. Never know when one of those oddball warm days might sneak in.

Grip Puppies; SW-Motech Center Stand; SW-Motech Crash bars; Touratech Skid Plate; Bike Viz Bullets; Stebel Nautilus and a Front Fenda Extenda. Ebay special Brake and Clutch Levers; Wolfman Explorer Lite tankbag; Givi V46 TopCase.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Sounds and looks great! You mentioned that it feels higher - does it change your ground reach?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
[B][COLOR="Gray"]2012 DL650 Shiro Nakama #27[/COLOR]
[SIZE="1"][URL="http://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/79121-footsteps-lewis-clark.html"]Ride Report: In The Footsteps of Lewis & Clark[/URL][/SIZE][/B]
Old 12-13-2012, 04:35 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I hope it does raise the seat, but that isn't my first concern...

Does it help or hurt the passenger seat at all?
My main reason for the Strom is two-up riding.

I have a Seat Concepts saddle on my Husky and it is brilliant.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:41 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

As for how much higher........I'm guessing a 1/2"? I just lowered my bike by 3/4" for a couple of reasons; I don't need the ground clearance, it makes the bike easier to get on, I can flatfoot it at a stop now. I also wanted to use some Rox Risers to bring the bars up and back. I was finding on longer rides I'd take my left hand off the bars and twist my body slightly to relax. (Getting old sucks!) The bike is in the basement now, and I haven't yet sat on it with my boots on for a comparison.

Two up- my guess is it would have to be better than stock. The foam is slightly thicker, firme, and from what my girl has said it wasn't good before. She'd only be ok for about an hour before wanting off. We'll see. At the moment I have high hopes. Hope to get out this weekend for a ride.

It all started on a 1971 Kings dept store mini bike
1968 Suzuki TC120
1972 Suzuki TS90
197? Puch 175 MX
1972 Ossa Pioneer
1978 Suzuki PE 250 (2)
1975 Yamaha RD350
1982 Honda GL500
2003 Honda CRF 230
2001 KTM 300 EXC
1976 Suzuki GT550*
1972 Puch 175 MX*
2009 Yamaha WR250F
1982 Suzuki PE 175*
2012 DL650*

* currently in house
Old 12-13-2012, 06:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

Being one of The Large, I ordered the firmer foam for my Seat Concepts seat. I find it very comfortable, although I wasn't able to do as nice a job installing it as Chappyd.

However, my wife hates it because the foam is far too firm for her. I'll probably have to install an insert of different foam back there. Not sure what I'm going to do about that yet.

On my Vee, I did end up sitting a little higher simply because the stock seat foam was completely worn out after 70,000 miles -- I was sinking in to the stock seat too far. Relative to a newer stock Vee seat, it would probably be about the same. Relative to a new Wee seat, a little higher.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:57 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

do you think the factory cover would have gone back over the new foam. i really like the stock cover since there's no stitching to leak. was looking hard at the russels and corbins but since the bike lives outside and is ridden in the rain, something with stitching is going to work for me.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1ng3l78 View Post
do you think the factory cover would have gone back over the new foam. i really like the stock cover since there's no stitching to leak. was looking hard at the russels and corbins but since the bike lives outside and is ridden in the rain, something with stitching is going to work for me.
No, it's a different shape. I'd contact the Seat Concepts folks and see what they recommend as a vapor barrier.

I have two Seat Concepts seats (KLR and Vee) and I ride and commute in all sorts of crap weather. I've never had an issue.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Great job on the seat. I'm trying to find the video on the install but to no avail, Does anyone have a link, Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement