Two up on the 650 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default Two up on the 650

My mind keeps changing on me. Part of me wants the power of the 1000 but then again I would like the more "refined" motor of the 650. Either one would do me well, I think...

My questions would be: Can the 650 do two up for long trip (700 miles one way for me) with ease? What about passing power (18 wheelers, KLR 650 has none!!)? Winds off the big trucks? Crosswinds? Comfort (personal I reckon)?

Any info would be great... Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 11:00 AM
$tromtrooper

You are apt to get conflicting opinions about this, but this is one major disadvantage of the wee (the other being limited off-raod ability) that I dislike. I weight 185 pounds and my wife weighs about 135. When we are two-up with luggage, I find the bike loses its ability to accelerate well or climb hills. It is still adequate, but I would certainly prefer if it had some more poop. However, I still consider this a pretty small thing to gripe about. Overall, it's still a great bike. You just have to get used to downshifting when passing or climbing, and accept the fact that it's still going to struggle a little.

Would I prefer the Vee? For two-up riding....yes. With just me on the bike, I like my wee. At some point I will upgrade to an 800cc bike or own two bikes. Until then, I accept the Wees limitations and live with it.

Last edited by Jarlaxle28; 12-09-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKT View Post
My mind keeps changing on me. Any info would be great... Thanks
who wants to run their engine at w.o.t. most of the time? cant be any good for your engine. a 650 is a 650 that is a 650. go figure.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

Tough choice, one that only you can answer. My wife and I are both over 6', together we tip the scales at about 400 lbs. We've had Givi top and side boxes on all three vstroms, packed, when she's aboard, of course. On my 07 DL1000 (RIP), I was always amazed how it could pass anything, anywhere, without even breathing hard, and that motor was just plain fun when riding alone on that bike. We had also ridden two up on her 08 Wee and never had a feeling it was all that lacking in power. The big Vee was totaled about the time Suzuki was coming out with the new 650, and my wife had lost interest in long trips, so for me, the choice was easy. For the few times a year she is with me, I plan my passes more carefully, down shift a gear, and it is impressive how well this 650 handles the weight and how well it rides for us. I also don't ride as agressively with her behind me, so that also affects how it handles the two of us. When I'm alone on this bike, even though I sometimes miss that kick in the gut torque coming out of corners, etc... I wouldn't trade it for anything. The difference in purchase price, put the luggage I wanted on the 650. The changes to the style and dash were also a consideration. Having both an 07 Vee and 08 Wee in the garage for a year or so also helped with the choice, if at all possible, see if you can arrange a ride of both, any year.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

I ride the '12 650 Adventure. Weigh 145 and my sweetie 120. With a moderate load of gear it pulls fine. Just can't be in a hurry. Talked with a guy 2 days ago in a store lot who now has a 1000. Previously he had the 650. Wishes he still had the 650 but admits he likes the go fast. Everything is a compromise, no perfect sail boat either. And my sweetie she likes me to NOT go fast so she can see everything better. We can cruise at 65 all day long but with two up and gear we get 50mpg going her desired speed (since she likes the longer view). There is a lesson in it for me. And solo I take a 150 mile run out to her place on a semi regular basis doing between 55 and 70 depending on traffic (and mood). As previously stated you just will be down shifting if you want to get on it. For a lighter machine it tracks really well even when subjected to buffeting from semi-tractor rigs etc. Especially with the added $80 fork brace. That be my 2 cents...
Old 12-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Coming off a KLR it would seem the wee with twice the HP would zip around effortlessly. I forget how much HP my old ZZR600 had but it ran well and needed no shifting to pass... different i know but was thinkin power was similar. I guess I should toss my coin to a nice used Vee or search out a different bike altogether.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKT View Post
Coming off a KLR it would seem the wee with twice the HP would zip around effortlessly. I forget how much HP my old ZZR600 had but it ran well and needed no shifting to pass... different i know but was thinkin power was similar. I guess I should toss my coin to a nice used Vee or search out a different bike altogether.
The 1000 and the 650 are practically the same machine...except for the engine. So passenger room and overall comfort are the same. Don't get caught up in the "only consider a 1000 because that is what I ride" contest. I have both.

When riding with a passenger I ride a LOT more conservative as far as when and where I would pass for instance. As far as cruising goes I don't want to cruise at a true 85 mph all day...on either bike. The difference in passing ability compared to your KLR is substantial. The main difference in passing situations riding a Wee vs Vee is that you will want to downshift the Wee once or twice to make it jump out and deliver for you. If I rode two up most of the time and with added gear the 1000 would be a good choice. A smaller percentage of time two up makes the 650 just as good a choice.

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com
Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry info@werksparts.com
Old 12-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
The 1000 and the 650 are practically the same machine...except for the engine. So passenger room and overall comfort are the same. Don't get caught up in the "only consider a 1000 because that is what I ride" contest. I have both.

When riding with a passenger I ride a LOT more conservative as far as when and where I would pass for instance. As far as cruising goes I don't want to cruise at a true 85 mph all day...on either bike. The difference in passing ability compared to your KLR is substantial. The main difference in passing situations riding a Wee vs Vee is that you will want to downshift the Wee once or twice to make it jump out and deliver for you. If I rode two up most of the time and with added gear the 1000 would be a good choice. A smaller percentage of time two up makes the 650 just as good a choice.
Put in that light the wee sounds like the right bike. Most of the time I'm sure it'll fill the role of the KLR which is commuter, weekend ride with friends then there's the occasional two up with the wife. The last is what I'm really looking to improve and extend the range on which is now limited to around 100 miles or so before I tire of my manhood crunched against the tank and her backside is to numb for her to walk. This bike will not only replace the KLR but be a fill in for a few more years till Goldwing time comes.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm almost 300lbs and I can 2-up with a 120lb girl and adventure model equipment + skid plate and other junk I've added. It runs fine.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Today was unusually warm for December here and a wonderful day to ride. I'm about 300 pounds and my wife's just over a third of that. We had a very nice ~50-60-mile ride (2-up) today on gravel roads, secondary roads and some primary (non-slab) roads. No luggage to speak of (essentially empty topcase) and the '07 Wee did great. We really enjoyed the ride. I'm glad we didn't have the extra 40-45-pound Vee weight to handle on the "roads" we traveled.

If you plan a lot of slab riding, either alone or 2-up, I'd recommend a Vee - just for high-speed passing capability - but if there will be little if any slab riding I'd recommend a Wee - I've certainly been happy with mine.

Oh yeah - Wee MPG is significantly better too (check Fuelly).

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement