StromTrooper banner

Any tips before putting the glee on a weight loss program

7K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Yesler 
#1 ·
I've only 1200klm's over two rides but it is enough to know that I would like to permanently remove the unnecessary (for me) plastics and ABS. I intend to remove all ABS hardware and thought perhaps someone else may have embarked on a similar task and have some handy tips?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
But why..?

The Bosch 8 ABS on the 2012 Strom only weighs around 800 grams :confused:

If you wanna save some weight spend your time and energy on other things that makes a difference like the exhaust and the wheels.

#3 ·
#4 · (Edited)
I've done most of them.

Akra pipe
Shorai battery
Non lockable fuel filler on gas tank from the SV ($35 China deal)

Removed:

Passenger pegs (really heavy, maybe 8 lbs for both)
Horn
Rear rack
Most of tools from pouch

ABS is staying.

#5 ·
I guess I don't see the reasoning in dropping such a small amount of weight.

You know what I do when I want my V-strom to be more powerful... I ride the burgundy one instead of the orange.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

#7 ·
I know some individuals will not see the reason why and I was expecting a plethora of responses offering little advice other then criticism (constructive) or confusion at why I would do such a crazy.

However, fortunately it is my bike and I have the benefit of "freedom of choice" and I do not like or want ABS nor the rest of the material that thwarts access to the goodies hidden beneath. Perhaps I should mount an Oompa Loompa on the rear of the bike to keep a lookout for the narcissists that believe what is not suitable for them also applies to others.

greywolf, you have made the wrong assumption in this instance but thanks for the links.

D.T. Thank you, is the Shoria battery Lithuim Polymer/Ion?

#13 ·
I did a weight reduction campaign on a Can-Am 175TNT once to turn it into a little road racer. The big benefit was in the project itself to do something perceived as fun. I can understand that. It took a lot of time and money with little real benefit in the ride. It was fun though. I drilled a lot of holes in things, the front disc in the upgraded brake especially comes to mind. Relacing the spokes when replacing the steel rims with alloys almost drove me nuts. The project literally and figuratively kept me off the streets.

Anyway, ABS can be disabled by a simple heavy duty switch or relay in the ABS valve fuse line or by pulling the fuse.

#16 ·
Replace the gas tank with a two liter plastic bottle. Cut out one of the cylinders for big weight savings. Replace the stock wheels with skinny moped wheels. Drill holes in all of the metal. Remove the instrument panel, headlight and taillight assemblies. Remove the seat and battery (pop start it). After all of this, ask yourself if weight was really a consideration when you bought this bike :green_lol:

#19 ·
The bike doesn't need twin disc front brakes. Remove one caliper and disc, then to be sure take off the rear disc and caliper. Just plan ahead when you want to stop :thumbup:

Also take off ALL the bodywork, headlights and make it into a complete naked bike. If you need light a couple of LED torches strapped on the front will do. Make sure to remove indicators, hand signals are fine.

You also don't need the sidestand, just leave it against a wall or lay it down when not riding, like a mountain bike!

Convert the chain & sprockets to 420 pitch. Won't last long and you will probably spit a chain, but hey you are saving weight.

Lastly ride naked. Gear adds weight to the rider, unnecessary. You might get hurt if you crash, but you are saving weight!

#20 ·
I'm sorry, but removing the ABS due to weight saving is one of the silliest ideas I have heard. The mirrors weigh more than the ABS.

I guess you aren't planning on having insurance, because the insurance company won't cover you if you've pulled the ABS off the bike. The premiums for the L2+ DL650A is based on it having ABS (hence the A on the end).

The single biggest area for weight saving is the exhaust. My IXIL carbon 3/4 system saved me 4kg.
http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/80322-ixil-exhaust-2012-a.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.