Riding in the wet - very wet - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default Riding in the wet - very wet

So I went on a crazy ride over the summer in a thunder storm. Found some old forest service roads (2 track mostly) and started exploring, in the pouring rain. The trails were getting more and more 'fun' until I got in over my head. I ended up dropping the bike in a deep puddle and about half the bike was under water, exhaust bubbling up through the water. I was trapped under the bike temporarily and ended up getting my boot cover shredded by the drivetrain of the bike which was just slowly spinning (clutch out) under water. I killed the engine, righted the bike and restarted it - no problems. Rode home (another 100 miles) and found the oil level was low and the viewing window was cloudy making it very hard to see the oil level. I drained the oil and replaced the oil filter. I also checked the air filter to see if it had gotten wet - surprisingly no. After the oil change the cloud in the window was still there. I decided to ride it off? and went on a ride about 150 miles or so. By the end of the ride the cloud was gone!

Any body have something like this happen to them? are there other maintenance I should look into after an incident like this?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Stromthusiast!

I don't know about other maintenance, but I personally would never turn off an engine that is currently under water, even partially. The engine running is the only thing keeping water from backing up through the tailpipe. Not to mention that when the engine turns off, it'll have a small about of back pressure that will suck the water right in.

Just my 2-cents, but that's always been what i've been taught about off-roadin'

I'm glad it is running though! Shows how awesome the Vstrom is.

1999 Triumph Trophy 1200

2012 Vstrom 650 (current)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Moderator++

If the bike was on its side, the tip over sensor would shut it off within a couple of seconds anyway. Black Lab drowned his bike thoroughly.

The long version is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGVH...CZo8g&index=23

Last edited by greywolf; 12-06-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

hmm good to know.

1999 Triumph Trophy 1200

2012 Vstrom 650 (current)
Old 12-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
If the bike was on its side, the tip over sensor would shut it off within a couple of seconds anyway. Black Lab drowned his bike thoroughly.

The long version is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGVH...CZo8g&index=23
I've dropped my 2012 several times offroading, but never had the tip over sensor shut the engine off. I thought it would, but have had to reach over and hit the kill switch each time.

Guess I'll check the sensor when I have the 14,000 mile service done.

Vinny
Old 12-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Moderator++

There is a built in delay factor. I've seen two seconds posted. I've had downed Stroms shut themselves off on two occasions but didn't have the ability to time the results.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
There is a built in delay factor. I've seen two seconds posted. I've had downed Stroms shut themselves off on two occasions but didn't have the ability to time the results.
Sounds like an expirement waiting to happen. I'm going to have to go out in the yard and drop the Strom a few times and time how long it takes the tip over switch to kick in.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Geezer on a Wee

When I did my lowside last year, the bike kept running even though it was on it's side for several minutes before a nice person cut it off for me.
1980 Honda Express (my toy!)
Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Mine took a nap a few weeks ago on a muddy rutted dirt road and before I could reach the cut off switch the motor did cut off on it's own.

Then my stupid self spent a minute or two trying to figure out why it wouldn't fire back up, until I realized I hadn't turned the cut off switch back on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement