Crash Bar Vibration - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Crash Bar Vibration

Hello All,

I am planning to install crash bars and skid plate on my '12 VStrom 650. I have read about vibration that many have experienced, including with the Givi, which is my first choice.

I wonder if there is any news about any manufacturer acknowledging the problem and if they have provided any fixes.

On another note, I wonder about using the Happy Trails as crash protection how far do they extend, if at all, when folded, out from the bike?

Thanks for your responses...

--John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 03:05 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Solution for the stock stuff

The vibration disappears for the stock Suzuki bars if you place a rubber shim at the joint of the two bars. Been covered in this forum, and really works.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:36 AM
$tromtrooper

I went with SW Motec-no vibration issues and very well made.
Can't picture folding engine guard- you referring to the Happy Trails folding highway pegs that attach to an engine guard?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1950 View Post
Hello All,

I am planning to install crash bars and skid plate on my '12 VStrom 650. I have read about vibration that many have experienced, including with the Givi, which is my first choice.

I wonder if there is any news about any manufacturer acknowledging the problem and if they have provided any fixes.

Thanks for your responses...

--John
Properly installed and tightened the Givi crash bars only adds marginally (if any) more vibrations to the bike.

I don't see this as a problem the manufacturer should acknowledge, but only as an predictable result of attaching a lightweight metal rack to the frame.

A "fix" could be to produce the crash bars out of solid rods instead of hollow tubes - but that would make them unduly heavy.

Last edited by Don_T; 12-06-2012 at 04:49 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for responses. It appears the vibration issue is quite subjective, and greatly dependent on mounting and tightening correctly. I had crash bars on my 2009 with no vibration, and it seems to me the '12 would be no different - given nearly identical frame.

Yes, I meant Happy Trails folding highway pegs. Are they wide enough to provide any protection in a "sleeper?"

Thanks,

--John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement