Winterize Time - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 02:13 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortp View Post
Its a common mistake to think the battery should be in a warm place, but its better to leave it in the cold, just unplug one of the two wires.
Really? Is it "unhealthy" for the battery to be stored in a warm place and periodically (once monthly) charged for an hour or so?

(Yet ANOTHER reason for me to get my butt in gear and build some on-site/at home storage for my bike instead of keeping it miles away in a friend's garage/barn)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 06:18 PM
$tromtrooper

Self-discharge rate is proportionnal to temperature storage. It is negligable at low temperature for 3 or 4 months.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydrift View Post
I can occasionally get in a ride on the weekends athough it is usually short. Why is it bad to NOT winterize the bike, and try to run it once a week ? I use Sea Foam in the gas, keep everything oiled.....

here is an interesting article on the subject.......

Motorcycle Winterization
run it, or ride it ?

simply starting and letting it idle isn't enuf, if your not going to ride it don't bother starting it,

1. idle doesn't charge like riding speeds
2. just cause water temp is warm doesn't mean the oil isup to temp and contaminates evaporated
99 SV650 (135,006 miles)
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
[URL="www.gbhsurvey.com"]www.gbhsurvey.com[/URL]
[IMG]http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/xv920r/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the input guys..
Old 12-09-2012, 12:24 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcgee View Post
I rolled it into the shed today -- just as easy to roll it out. I don't do anything special to it except gas stabilizer and one is as good as another -- just use it.
So, this thread is relavent to my interests! I too am missing many days as the weather gets oogy. I recently acquired a battery tender, and I'm curious the proper storage methodology.

What I'm hearing is:
1) Don't bother with the tender. The cold weather won't drain the battery. Question to this - should I undo one terminal? Or should I hook up the tender? If I do hook up the tender, should I disconnect the bike electricals?

2) Fill up the tank, put some gas stabilizer in it. Question on this one - what if I want to go for a quicky ride during a warm spell. Is the stabilizer going to be an issue? (I'm guessing not. I'm going to burn it soon anyway.

3) Do an oil change now - My hindbrain says 'yes, if the parts are going ot be sitting still all winter, have them sit in CLEAN oil.'

I also like the "Don't bother starting it if you're not going to ride it. It won't benefit anything".

Dave Shevett - KB1FWR - Berlin, MA
'04 DL650 "The Wee"
'78 GS850 "The Beast!"
Old 12-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Winterizing

My mechanic changed my oil before I rode up to the place I'm storing it. His recommendations were pretty simple:

Throw in stabilizer and then fill the tank up and ride home. He suggested filling with a premium fuel without ethanol, but then admitted it probably didn't matter. For the battery, he told me just to leave it in but unhook the negative terminal, though I have a tender. If you take the battery out, leave it in the garage because colder temperatures are better for them.

For tires he suggested significantly overinflating them (like 80+ psi) to keep them from flattening, just drop the pressure in the spring. I thought this was nuts, but he stakes his reputation on it. In the end, I put the bike on jack stands anyhow, so I could clean the chain, and I hit it with Chain Wax.

Otherwise, simple stuff - I washed it thoroughly, waxed the paint, and treated the rest of it with Fluid Film. I'll wash that off in the spring.

The biggest pain in the ass was the jack stands, because they're not quite a perfect fit and I was slightly concerned about stability, but they seem to be doing fine.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortp View Post
Its a common mistake to think the battery should be in a warm place, but its better to leave it in the cold, just unplug one of the two wires.
Finally someone agrees with me... A Battery stored between 5C - 10C will hold it's charge longer than if stored at room temp...

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]Never argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 12-10-2012, 11:10 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploughjockey View Post
The biggest pain in the ass was the jack stands, because they're not quite a perfect fit and I was slightly concerned about stability, but they seem to be doing fine.
Why not use a center stand? That'll lift the rear tire and carry a ton of the weight. I'd guess with that you'd end up not needing to overinflate the tires (very little weight on the front tire).

Dave Shevett - KB1FWR - Berlin, MA
'04 DL650 "The Wee"
'78 GS850 "The Beast!"
Old 12-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

It's easy to winterize if you have a warm garage. Since I have one I usually don't do much. Clean the whole bike and just add Sea Foam or Sta bil in the fuel. Then I start them a few times over the winter.

If you had to leave them outside I'd buy a cover for them and remove the battery. UV rays seems to age the plastic. Batteries like cool weather, like in the 40's F. So it depends if your bike has a current leak that can kill it in no time. Filling the fuel tank sounds like a good idea too. A flat tire may make it do strage things.

Last edited by D.T.; 12-10-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shevett View Post
Why not use a center stand?
Because some idiot at Suzuki decided that VStroms didn't need them, and some idiot who bought a VStrom didn't get around to ordering one from Twisted Throttle for it. I'm getting one put on in the spring. Along with a proper bash plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
winterize winter storage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.