2012 luggage rack width and off-center measurements? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default 2012 luggage rack width and off-center measurements?

I've googled like the wind and haven't found anything like the old luggage thread for the '12+ stroms.

What are the widths of the rack (only), mounted, on the 2012 for the givi, hepco becker, and swmotech racks? (24.5" for the HT rack and it is more or less centered).

How off-center are the givi, hepco becker, sw motech (as in, how far is the rack center off from the bike center, in inches?)

Good, bike "ass shots" with the racks installed would be a boon to the community, too - I've only been able to find excellent pictures of the sw-motech rack.

Disclaimer: yes, I know the luggage need not be symmetrical. I'd still like it to be within 1" of symmetrical-ish, and *also* sub 38" wide, and *also* made of plastic, like my k9 wee with caribous.

So, between those three (givi, sw-motech, hepco becker) which is least off-center? I've seen a few images with cases not hanging fully vertical, too - is that a problem specific to one rack manufacturer, or just bad luck?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

I was just looking for this last night, too. I didn't find it, either.

I ordered the Givi PL3101 racks last night, so I'll have pics for you in a week or three.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:34 PM
$tromtrooper

Not sure of what you are looking for but maybe some pic here will interest you:

Comparo bagagerie rigide - Valises pour la DL 650
Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

I think those Givi PL3101 are the slimmest mounting rack out there, with regards to fitting the unused space on the left side. You can mount either the Givi PLX or Kappa KLX bags to them.

Snowkarver did a write up on them. (but the pictures aren't showing up?)

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-20...-top-case.html

There's also a few pics of the set up in here.

In The Footsteps of Lewis & Clark

Full credit to Snowkarver, etc....

This setup is on my slowly shrinking list of wants....
Old 11-28-2012, 05:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortp View Post
Not sure of what you are looking for but maybe some pic here will interest you:

Comparo bagagerie rigide - Valises pour la DL 650
I can't improve on those photos.
But I've got to say that the V35s make mine wider than Dumbo.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default Holan luggage rack

Hello ... a manufacturer who makes a "narrow" set of bags is Holan, I've seen a U.S. website that had Holan bags, but can not remember where .....

----------------------------------------------------------

The great advantage of this system is the cut for the exhaust.
This system is more than 10 cm narrowed than the system without the cut.

You can choose the set with 2x31L, 2x 38L or 2x 45L Nomada PRO cases

2 pannier rack options:

-powder coated in black
-in stainless steel

Set contains:

-left case Nomada PRO 31L, 38L or 45L
-right case Nomada PRO 31L, 38L or 45L with cut
-pannier rack with mounting kit
-mounting kit for 2 cases

Locks are NOT included in the set.

The width of the set with the cases:

Nomada PRO 2x31L - 91cm

Nomada PRO 2x38L - 99cm

Nomada PRO 2x45L - 107cm

Holan PRO system with Nomada PRO cases for DL650 2012+
Old 11-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default The Nomada cases looks good on the Strom.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked steve View Post
I think those Givi PL3101 are the slimmest mounting rack out there, with regards to fitting the unused space on the left side. You can mount either the Givi PLX or Kappa KLX bags to them.

Snowkarver did a write up on them. (but the pictures aren't showing up?
The X bags (Givi V35 or Kappa K33) don't fit on the "normal" PL3101 or "quick release" PLR3101 racks, only on the "curved" PLX3101 racks. The tradeoff is that, especially with the Strom's high mount exhaust, the X racks definitely hug the lines tighter.

The Givi V35s made the bike too wide for me. The Kappa K33s are about two inches narrower in total width. Yes, they are off center by at least 1 1/2 inches but it's barely noticeable in real life, and I prefer to actually be narrower rather than look symmetrical. There's still enough room on the left to do a tool tube.

The dynamic CDN server ate up the original photos in my thread, and it's too late to edit that post. Here they are again:

[B][COLOR="Gray"]2012 DL650 Shiro Nakama #27[/COLOR]
[SIZE="1"][URL="http://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/79121-footsteps-lewis-clark.html"]Ride Report: In The Footsteps of Lewis & Clark[/URL][/SIZE][/B]
Old 11-29-2012, 02:06 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_T View Post
I agree... They do look good on the 650 Strom.

[B][COLOR="Black"]2012 DL650-ADV (Black), 2013 DL650-EXP (White), 2008 TW200, 2013 CRF250L[/COLOR][/B] (Member: AMA & IBA)

[B][COLOR="Red"]Ad-ven-ture:[/B] 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. [/COLOR][COLOR="blue"][B] Trav-ell-er:[/B] 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.[/COLOR]
Old 11-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Snowkarver, do you have a rear ass shot of your bike and the width of the bike with the Kappa k33's installed.

I like how they look but i cant decide whether to get the Kappa k33's or the Givi Trekkers. They both look good, but i prefer a narrower setup.

Citizen4 was very helpful for his post on the Givi Trekkers, complete with pics and measurements: http://www.stromtrooper.com/862401-post5.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
glee , luggage rack