What luggage is compatible with the Adventure's racks? - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

Part of the OP's original question - the second part - was about the top plate. I offered what I know of that. I've contacted Twisted Throttle and they verified the OEM top plate is for the Suzuki version of the Traxx luggage, not Givi or others.

Regarding the side racks, I believe they are already drilled to accept Givi mount kits. There is a set of holes on the top of the rail where the Givi tab would bolt up, but I'm not sure about the bottom mounts. An alternate solution is to replace the rack system entirely. Pull the whole OEM Suzuki modified rack system off - Sell it. and then put on the SW Motech unit that accepts all common luggage.

Cheers!

DSR650

Last edited by DSRider650; 11-29-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Aero cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornRider View Post
Yes! Back to the OP's OQ (original question)! I too would like to replace the big ass Trax aluminum boxes with something smaller for daily use and use the large boxes for extended camping trips. I had Pelican 1430 toploaders on my
'08 KLR and loved em. Would love to find some system to attach Pelican or Pelican-like cases to the '12 Wee.
Twisted Throttle sells the fancy Aero sidecases which fit the racks with just a few bolt-mount adjustments. At $450 for the cases plus mounting bolts, though, I'm quite hesitant to pull the trigger. Instead I just use the sidecases conservatively, and mainly use a Givi E55 Maxia case with an adapter bolted onto Suzuki's proprietary plate.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Caribou's Pelican cases adapt to the original racks with a few minor changes in about 15 minutes. They are stable, don't rattle, decrease width by about 5 inches and really improve stability and handling at highway speeds. The investment, about $500, was well worth it.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatbender View Post
Caribou's Pelican cases adapt to the original racks with a few minor changes in about 15 minutes. They are stable, don't rattle, decrease width by about 5 inches and really improve stability and handling at highway speeds. The investment, about $500, was well worth it.

Which Caribou cases?
Old 12-04-2012, 01:50 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default Caribou side cases

I got the 36liter 2600 Pelican Storm cases. They are lighter than the 35 liter cases with almost the same dimensions. They bring the :total width to just over 40 inches. The equal sized cases give a stable ride as they are hit by the wind equally. With the "liners" attached they can top load grocery bags easily.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTRice View Post
Twisted Throttle sells the fancy Aero sidecases which fit the racks with just a few bolt-mount adjustments. At $450 for the cases plus mounting bolts, though, I'm quite hesitant to pull the trigger. Instead I just use the sidecases conservatively, and mainly use a Givi E55 Maxia case with an adapter bolted onto Suzuki's proprietary plate.
So, I installed these after seeing them in person and getting a bit of a discount (15% off). I think they look great, and make me much less nervous in traffic. They install on the same mount points as the TraX, but require different bolts where the locks meet (which the TraX mount over fine) AND unfortunately require unbolting the metal brackets that the TraX cases lock onto. So that does mean it takes about five minutes to swap cases. I guess since I keep a Givi Maxia 55 top case, I don't need the extra side capacity enough that I mind.

Pics are attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0614.jpg (96.8 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0615.jpg (97.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 12-25-2012, 07:29 PM
$tromtrooper

Brian,
I love the look of those Aero bags!

Do the zippers actually do the closing/sealing?
Do the zippers look heavy duty enough to last for a long time?

Dean
Old 12-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I think anything that can be adapted to fit the normal SW-Motech racks should be adaptable to the Suzuki branded side racks. You will likely need the SW-motech adapter kit for whatever type of bag it is. They make them for Givi, Trax (same as Suzuki), and for generic luggage like Pelican cases. I suspect other types could be adapted, but you'd be somewhat on your own.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlare View Post
Brian,
I love the look of those Aero bags!

Do the zippers actually do the closing/sealing?
Do the zippers look heavy duty enough to last for a long time?

Dean
The zippers are pretty heavy duty and are the closing/sealing boundary. They don't work perfectly smoothly but they don't catch. They are not watertight, though, and the waterproof bags are separate, basically wrap your stuff up in there and drop them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement