600 mile service now or in spring? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default 600 mile service now or in spring?

Picked up a new Wee Adventure a few weeks ago.
Love it. Will love it more now that I'm through the 'break-in' period.
Have ~525 miles and will likely not get too many more miles befor it gets too cold for me to ride. Should I have the 600 mile service before putting it away for winter or wait until spring?
Thanks for any advice.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Do the service before you put it to bed for the winter. You always want fresh oil in it because old oil can be acidic and cause corrosion. Fill up the fuel tank and add some fuel stabilizer, put a battery tender on it, kiss it goodnight and cover it for the winter.

If you shed a tear as you go in the house, it's okay, we all do it.

2012 Wee - Fox Orange (Gord)
2011 Wee - Black (The Black Heathen) - Traded in
K7 Wee - Silver (Thunder) - Sold
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yah, sure, do the service now. You may get lucky and have a mild winter. Gotta be ready !
Old 11-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Good points, thanks fellas.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

All I've got to say is that would suck! Not even 600 miles and have to put it away for the winter already. I understand it is cold up there, but don't you get occasional warm days in the winter? I say go ahead and do the service now, and ride when you can. Just because it had the oil changed and has stabilizer in the fuel does not mean you can't ride it, weather permitting of course.

L2 DL650A The Orange Machine
K7 DL650 Hi Yo Silver R.I.P!

Last edited by khager; 11-21-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

My 2c,

I would definitely take some time to get up to 600 miles as you want to make sure it's fully run in b4 you change the oil. After all it should only take 1 hour of riding to get u there.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 11-22-2012, 08:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

I would do it now rather than the spring. Shops are probably not quite so busy now but come spring you could be waiting weeks for an appointment.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I would have the service done this fall --cheaper than having potential problems with acid/corrosion damage from having old oil sitting in it all winter (dependent upon how the bike is stored to some extent).
Old 11-22-2012, 02:36 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I'm no oil expert but it seems to me that the 600 mi. service is not a typical oil change per se, but to put fresh oil in as there are small bits of metal from the engine due to the break-in. I seriously doubt that there will be any acidic oil/corrosion. i would go ahead and get the first break-in maintainence done. They should do other things besides just change the oil, i.e. check the chain, cables, etc. (yeah, right). Ha! we all know it's just a high dollar oil change to keep the warranty valid.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

NOW . It's easier to get an appointment at this time of year, and you will be ready when spring comes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.