Help - Strange engine clicking after 1st oil change - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default Help - Strange engine clicking after 1st oil change

All,

At noon, I did my 1st oil change with 700 miles on the Odometer. I replaced the oil filter with OEM Suzuki filter (confirmed #'s were the same) and added 3 quarts of Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w-40. I confirmed the oil level was near the full mark after starting the engine and filling the new filter with oil.

I went for a Tag-O-Rama ride (80 miles) and noticed a clicking noise at the traffic lights. After getting home, I shot this video. The clicking noise is apparently coming from the rear cylinder. It is a faint noise in the video, however louder in person and can be heard with the helmet on at normal helmet height.

Anybody have any ideas what the issue is?

The clicking stops when the rpms are raised. The clicking was not apparent prior to this oil change.

2012 V Storm - YouTube
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 06:07 PM
$tromtrooper

You don't wear earplugs, do you?
Old 11-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Moderator++

It's often reported. Chances are you just didn't notice it before.

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

If you change the oil filter, you need to run the engine a couple of minutes and recheck the oil. The oil filter holds a bit. Having said that, it would not be enough to cause any oil starvation. Really don't have any ideas at this point.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by henerythe8th View Post
You don't wear earplugs, do you?
Nope, never wore ear plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromburger View Post
If you change the oil filter, you need to run the engine a couple of minutes and recheck the oil. The oil filter holds a bit. Having said that, it would not be enough to cause any oil starvation. Really don't have any ideas at this point.
I did add more oil after starting.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
It's often reported. Chances are you just didn't notice it before.
Most of my miles are city miles with lots of traffic lights. The sound is very distinct and I think I would have heard of it earlier.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:37 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I do appreciate the feedback. I am a little concerned with it being a new bike and it being a cylinder noise. Only apparent in rear cylinder, front cylinder is smooth sounding.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I would just take it back to the dealer. That's what warranty is for if you think there is a problem.

Good luck.

2012 Wee - Fox Orange (Gord)
2011 Wee - Black (The Black Heathen) - Traded in
K7 Wee - Silver (Thunder) - Sold
Old 11-21-2012, 07:11 PM
$tromtrooper

Mine is a 2011 so different engine but try pulling in and holding the clutch and see if the noise changes/disappears?? Actually I had my 600 mile service done at the dealer and when completed made a road trip to of a few hundred miles over two days. I started hearing a knocking like noise after returning home and have had it since. Like others I've finally been able to ignore it....still don't like it but accept it as part of the bikes "personality". In any case, I've noticed, on my bike, it seems to be quieter when I pull in the clutch cable and hold it. In neutral on the center stand (or side stand I suppose), it's the loudest. However, like mentioned above, I'd take it in to the dealer if it really concerns you. Of course, when I made my next oil change myself I learned the dealer had the drain plug so loose I could unscrew it with my fingers. Last time I ever returned for service since I've not needed it in over 16000 miles with the help of folks here.

Good luck in any case.

Rick

PS - What's the status of your 1950 Ford truck. Yes, I checked out other YouTube videos while I was there.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.