Help - Strange engine clicking after 1st oil change - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I confirmed the oil level was near the full mark
Engine off and bike standing upright, right?

America’s infrastructure is now so wretched that, in some areas, the only people who drive straight are the drunks.
Anyone who is sober swerves to avoid potholes.
--Nicholas Kristof
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

From what I see in your video, it looks like the oil level is full when the engine is running. There should be none or very little visible in the sight glass with the engine running. The oil level should be checked with the engine off, on level groung with the bike balanced upright.

I also had the clicking sound after my first oil change, after riding about 100km and sitting in the garage for two days it went away.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick505 View Post
Mine is a 2011 so different engine but try pulling in and holding the clutch and see if the noise changes/disappears?? Actually I had my 600 mile service done at the dealer and when completed made a road trip to of a few hundred miles over two days. I started hearing a knocking like noise after returning home and have had it since. Like others I've finally been able to ignore it....still don't like it but accept it as part of the bikes "personality". In any case, I've noticed, on my bike, it seems to be quieter when I pull in the clutch cable and hold it. In neutral on the center stand (or side stand I suppose), it's the loudest. However, like mentioned above, I'd take it in to the dealer if it really concerns you. Of course, when I made my next oil change myself I learned the dealer had the drain plug so loose I could unscrew it with my fingers. Last time I ever returned for service since I've not needed it in over 16000 miles with the help of folks here.

Good luck in any case.

Rick

PS - What's the status of your 1950 Ford truck. Yes, I checked out other YouTube videos while I was there.
I did not engage and release the clutch, I will check that tomorrow. However, I did hear it stopped at traffic lights (in 1st gear, with clutch lever pulled).

The 1950 F-1 Ford is my fathers. He now has it painted and wood bed installed. The only trouble is old age has catch-up with my dad so he can't enjoy all the hard work of his restoration.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by okidave View Post
From what I see in your video, it looks like the oil level is full when the engine is running. There should be none or very little visible in the sight glass with the engine running. The oil level should be checked with the engine off, on level groung with the bike balanced upright.

I also had the clicking sound after my first oil change, after riding about 100km and sitting in the garage for two days it went away.
I will check this tomorrow. When I changed the oil and the filter, I added 2 1/4 quarts and then started the engine to pull oil into the filter. I then turned it off and topped off the oil via the sight glass. The capacity is 2.9 quarts, and that is what I added.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default Oil level

I re-checked the oil level and yes, I over filled it a little. I drained it to the proper level. Rookie mistake by changing my oil in a semi-level location in lieu of a perfectly flat location and by topping off the oil.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Had same issue after firs service at 1000km, now I have over 2200km and the noise disappear.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonce View Post
Nope, never wore ear plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
You really should wear ear plugs if you are going to ride at hwy speeds. If I could go back in time I would have started wearing them sooner.

L2 DL650A The Orange Machine
K7 DL650 Hi Yo Silver R.I.P!
Old 11-23-2012, 09:47 AM
$tromtrooper

08 DL1000 with stock pipes, one of the noisiest bikes I ever owned while being so quiet, but none of it means anything, ignore it and ride. Been said 100 times on this forum. Now my 78 Sportster, with drag pipes, never heard any mechanical noises.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:59 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

ive had this clicking noise from new ...was told at the dealer "they all do that " so my next service going to go to a different suzuki dealer to see if its "ok" before the warranty runs out ....it seems to be coming from the front of the engine as i pull away from standstill ..sounds just like a loose tappet & goes after 2th rpm ..it also sounds a lot quieter as the engine gets hotter ...been told its just "end float" on the cam .....

Last edited by doboy; 11-30-2012 at 05:01 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonce View Post
I re-checked the oil level and yes, I over filled it a little. I drained it to the proper level. Rookie mistake by changing my oil in a semi-level location in lieu of a perfectly flat location and by topping off the oil.
So how is now, same noise still?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement