Remounting the rear wheel - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Remounting the rear wheel

Folks,

I need some pointers. I pulled my rear wheel to spoon a new tire onto it, and while it took me a lot longer than I'd bargained for, I did it successfully.

I'm currently wrestling with remounting the rear wheel on the bike. I've put the chain in place, spread the brake pads, and lined everything up as best as I can, but I can't seem to work the wheel into place without knocking out one of the spacers and / or the rear brake carrier assembly.

Any suggestions for how to remount the rear wheel without too many tears? I'm trying to do it by myself, but if I need to I can get another set of hands, though it won't be until later.

Thanks,
Trent
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 01:39 PM
$tromtrooper

It pretty much depends on the alignment of the planets.

Putting the wheel on a 2x4 makes it easier for me and some use a wedge. That at least gets the wheel close to the right height.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Replacing rear tire on the 2012 650 V-Strom

Replacing the rear tire on the 2012 650 V-Strom is a pure pain in the rear. allighning the break assembly has been changed and is where i had my problems. The 2005 I had before was very east and simple
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Prop under the tire so it is held at the right spot to get it lined up. You'll only have to juggle the rest of the stuff.

Is the L2 like the earlier bikes where it is easier to put the axle back in from the right? No functional difference, but it holds things in position during insertion with less aggravation.

America’s infrastructure is now so wretched that, in some areas, the only people who drive straight are the drunks.
Anyone who is sober swerves to avoid potholes.
--Nicholas Kristof
Old 11-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Moderator++

Yes, putting the axle in from the right is easier but everything has to get between the swingarms first. It's easier to do that by taking the ABS sensor off the caliper carrier and taking the rear caliper mounting bolt out to swing the caliper up away from the rotor. Once the axle is back in, mount the caliper and sensor.

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Old 11-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

These are great suggestions - thank you!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:34 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

One more question: Are there any drawbacks to inserting the axle from the right? Would precession potentially cause the axle nut to work its way off if it's installed on the left?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Moderator++

There are no drawbacks. While you have the axle out, coat the threads with anti seize. If you use a torque wrench, reduce the torque on the nut to 58lb-ft to account for the lubrication. That will prevent the nut and axle from galling together which has happened.

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Old 11-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

GW, thanks again. I went ahead and remounted the wheel with the OEM axle orientation, and managed to do it on the first try to boot. It was the easiest part of the entire process!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement