Water condensation in oil window - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Water condensation in oil window

I typically ride through the winter, when possible, and this fall has been typically cool and damp, so moisture getting in places I don't want it is expected. The other day I noticed a significant buildup of foamy yellowish- white crap on the oil level window. I did a quick oil change (didn't change the filter), using some Suzuki motorcycle oil I had leftover. Then I rode around for an hour, and saw that the gunk had burned off. So I figured the problem was solved. But today I rode to work, which is about 15 miles of mostly freeway, and when I inspected the window after parking, I noticed a bit of gunk beginning to accumulate there again.

I'm in the Seattle area. It's been around 50 degrees F, with a lot of rain or plain old dampness. The bike is kept in my garage at home, and sits under a carport sort of thing when I'm at work.

So what I'm seeing IS water in the oil, right? What can I do to make it more permanently go away? My understanding is that it can eventually damage bearings, etc. Should I be worried about a leak anywhere? Several months ago I was riding in the rain, and noticed some steam (I'm pretty sure it was steam, and not smoke), coming off the radiator. But I was never able to pinpoint it or reproduce it, so I ignored it.

Any good solutions out there?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 02:55 PM
$tromtrooper

I've ridden mine in all kinds of cold and wet and have never seen any sign of water in the oil. I'm guessing its antifreeze which means a seal failure somewhere in the engine. Probably time to test drive the Suzuki warranty.

09 DL650 ABS

MadStad + stock shield, JCW large topbox, Tuturo chain oiler, Heaterz grips, Suzuki hand guards, GIVI side guards, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, 36l Givi panniers, Richland Rick fork brace, Pipercross Air Filter

http://www.aldntn.bravejournal.com/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Moderator++

See if your coolant level has gone down. Look for scum under the oil filler cap. In either case, coolant is getting into the oil. That can be a bad water pump seal or head gasket.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Ugh. Not what I wanted to hear. Yes, I guess I will be taking advantage of the warranty. Coolant level looks fine, but I guess it doesn't take much?
Old 11-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

If you think it is antifreeze and the dealer isn't cooperative, send an oil sample to a testing lab. Blackstone-labs.com does a full test including coolant for $25. Armed with a lab report showing antifreeze, you have something to make the dealer or American Suzuki respond to you.

America’s infrastructure is now so wretched that, in some areas, the only people who drive straight are the drunks.
Anyone who is sober swerves to avoid potholes.
--Nicholas Kristof
Old 11-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Emulsification? Short runs don't burn off any condensation that is in the engine, and you see that as mayonnaise type goo on the oil filler cap underside / in the oil window. Only way to really get rid of it is a fairly long run. But check the coolant level hasn't dropped.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:37 PM
$tromtrooper

Do you sit with it idling in an attempt to warm it up before riding? If so this is bad news and can cause condensation to build up in the engine. Try and start and ride away (moderately) immediately after starting and try and make you rides be long enought for the engine oil to get good and warm. Tis probably means at least 15 minutes and probably more like 30 minutes.

..Tom

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
Old 11-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
Do you sit with it idling in an attempt to warm it up before riding? If so this is bad news and can cause condensation to build up in the engine. Try and start and ride away (moderately) immediately after starting and try and make you rides be long enought for the engine oil to get good and warm. Tis probably means at least 15 minutes and probably more like 30 minutes.

..Tom
I let it idle long enough for the rpms to stabilize. So only about 30 seconds before I start moving. Takes me that long to back out of wherever I've parked anyway. My ride to work takes about 30 minutes. The engine thermometer always comes up to the midway point (3 bars) well before I have ended my trip. Coolant level is not low, but I have not been checking it very often until just now. There is no goo on the underside of the oil filler cap, and when I changed the oil it did not appear foamy. I just see white goop adhered to the oil window.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

My Kaw Vulcan 1500 gave me the same concern but it was only condensation in the window. Doubt you have a problem.

Next long ride should clear it up until dampness or short ride fogs it up again.

Below taken from ' Gadgets Fix It Page " site:

Fogged Oil Sight Glass "Help, my oil sight glass is looking milky and I can't check my oil."

The Fix: Go for a ride (oh darn) This fogging of the oil sight glass window is especially common when weather turns cold among riders who travel short distances. The engine (oil) doesn't get fully up to temperature so the sight glass fogs (just like when you and the S.O. produce all that heat in the back seat on a chilly night). Once fogged it may take a couple of nice long rides to drive the moisture out from between the double paned glass.
55 CJ5

Last edited by slaghammer; 11-07-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I would vote for the condensation not burning off. Go for a few long rides if you can. I live on the West side of Oregon and short trips only will cause this condensation. Every few times on your way home from work just swing out an extra 30 miles and back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement