StromTrooper banner

Water condensation in oil window

43K views 79 replies 33 participants last post by  spidrgr 
#1 ·
I typically ride through the winter, when possible, and this fall has been typically cool and damp, so moisture getting in places I don't want it is expected. The other day I noticed a significant buildup of foamy yellowish- white crap on the oil level window. I did a quick oil change (didn't change the filter), using some Suzuki motorcycle oil I had leftover. Then I rode around for an hour, and saw that the gunk had burned off. So I figured the problem was solved. But today I rode to work, which is about 15 miles of mostly freeway, and when I inspected the window after parking, I noticed a bit of gunk beginning to accumulate there again.:headbang:

I'm in the Seattle area. It's been around 50 degrees F, with a lot of rain or plain old dampness. The bike is kept in my garage at home, and sits under a carport sort of thing when I'm at work.

So what I'm seeing IS water in the oil, right? What can I do to make it more permanently go away? My understanding is that it can eventually damage bearings, etc. Should I be worried about a leak anywhere? Several months ago I was riding in the rain, and noticed some steam (I'm pretty sure it was steam, and not smoke), coming off the radiator. But I was never able to pinpoint it or reproduce it, so I ignored it.

Any good solutions out there?

See less See more
#2 ·
I've ridden mine in all kinds of cold and wet and have never seen any sign of water in the oil. I'm guessing its antifreeze which means a seal failure somewhere in the engine. Probably time to test drive the Suzuki warranty.

#3 ·
See if your coolant level has gone down. Look for scum under the oil filler cap. In either case, coolant is getting into the oil. That can be a bad water pump seal or head gasket.

#5 ·
If you think it is antifreeze and the dealer isn't cooperative, send an oil sample to a testing lab. Blackstone-labs.com does a full test including coolant for $25. Armed with a lab report showing antifreeze, you have something to make the dealer or American Suzuki respond to you.

#7 ·
Do you sit with it idling in an attempt to warm it up before riding? If so this is bad news and can cause condensation to build up in the engine. Try and start and ride away (moderately) immediately after starting and try and make you rides be long enought for the engine oil to get good and warm. Tis probably means at least 15 minutes and probably more like 30 minutes.

..Tom

#8 ·
I let it idle long enough for the rpms to stabilize. So only about 30 seconds before I start moving. Takes me that long to back out of wherever I've parked anyway. My ride to work takes about 30 minutes. The engine thermometer always comes up to the midway point (3 bars) well before I have ended my trip. Coolant level is not low, but I have not been checking it very often until just now. There is no goo on the underside of the oil filler cap, and when I changed the oil it did not appear foamy. I just see white goop adhered to the oil window.

#9 · (Edited)
My Kaw Vulcan 1500 gave me the same concern but it was only condensation in the window. Doubt you have a problem.

Next long ride should clear it up until dampness or short ride fogs it up again.

Below taken from ' Gadgets Fix It Page " site:

Fogged Oil Sight Glass "Help, my oil sight glass is looking milky and I can't check my oil."

The Fix: Go for a ride (oh darn) This fogging of the oil sight glass window is especially common when weather turns cold among riders who travel short distances. The engine (oil) doesn't get fully up to temperature so the sight glass fogs (just like when you and the S.O. produce all that heat in the back seat on a chilly night). Once fogged it may take a couple of nice long rides to drive the moisture out from between the double paned glass.

#11 ·
My bike has the same symptoms. Sight glass was milky all spring. Cleared up over the summer. Now it is milky again. Two oil changes showed no signs of contamination. So I no longer give it much worry. Unfortunately the condition makes the sight glass useless.

#13 ·
Thanks for the info, guys. I am no longer in panic mode though I'll probably still have a mechanic look at it. A theoretical question though. My previous bike, a Suzuki cruiser, never had this issue, and I rode that through all sorts of foul weather too. My wife's Gladius, which has pretty much the same engine as the 2012 Vstrom, does not have this problem (although it doesn't see as much use as mine). So why would one bike have water condensation, while another similar one does not? :confused:

#15 ·
I'm wondering if you may have had some contamination in the oil that was lying around.

An easy test would be draining (and retaining) the oil and changing the filter. You may need it later if there are head gasket leaks, etc in the motor.

I've always heard that running water in the oil is not all that good for the motor.

#16 ·
This subject has me wondering. The 2012 has the oil to water cooler for engine oil. The 2004-2011 models had oil to air engine oil coolers.

I don't recall this much attention to having condensation in the oil on previous generation Wees...or Vees for that matter.

Could the new oil cooler be a bit too efficient at keeping oil temps down on shorter runs? I would imagine it has a thermostat, but maybe there is a small bypass? I'll try to think to look at the shop manual to see what I can find. If there is condensation in the oil, it is not getting hot enough to evaporate it out. Small amounts are not a problem but I wouldn't like it either.

#21 · (Edited)
Interesting

I live in Renton and am riding daily as well, I even warm my bike up as in start it while I put on my jacket and helmet etc. When I get to work if I was running my accessories full blast I let it idle for a minute while I remove my pants boots and change to my shoes... I never had that, my old GS would get a cloudy glass if the oil was overfilled but that is all the times I saw it. If it is a new bike and you just got it have the dealer check it out. My 09 even with my longer idles never put that yellowish stuff in my oil windows... my last oil change I did have some bubbles in the oil window on my first run to work before it cooled off and now is just fine as I checked it after my return home that same day. In my case I guessing my oil filter was just taking its time to soak up the stuff as I premeasured my stuff before I put it in - Yes I have a premarked bucket I use for oil filter changes or plain oil changes so sue me!...

something does not sound right here... keep us posted and tell us what bike this is...

#22 ·
Fog

I must report the same circumstance. I'm in NC and the temp fluctuates quite a bit. I use my bike to commute to and from work 25 miles 1 way. I don't seem to have any symptoms of failure - just that dang oil window completely fogged over. Its like a yellow color. Almost like the oil has turned into champagne and some jerk shook it up. Anyway - I'm going to check the filler cap to see if any buildup has occurred but I have a feeling its just a result of the short trips daily along with the cold weather. I'm at about 3800 miles currently and am planning to change the oil/ filter at 4000. Any more advise on this issue is welcome! Thank you everyone.

#23 ·
I recently did an oil change and noticed what looked liked fogging as well. When I looked closely it looked like there is a piece of plastic behind the oil level window that looks like it is fogged up. Has anyone else noticed that?

..Tom

#24 ·
I too notice water condensation in oil window lately, and my ride times have been increasingly shorter as fall / winter has approached. It makes sense too me what the other posters are saying about too short of a run time not burning off condensation.......

#27 ·
Fog

I changed my oil/ filter last night as I just rolled 4000. Fortunately the color/ consistency came out correct. Under the cap there was no residue and my coolant level is perfect. I'm prone to think however the buildup is more than condensation as when I make the bike level I can see the oil show up behind the film on the window where the level needs to be and when I put it back on the kickstand it disappears as one would expect. My concern is the residue/ condensation doesn't come off the window even when the oil touches it. I guess at this point I just need to deal with it and wait for warmer temperatures. I intend to ride through the winter including my 50 mile commute to and from work. All signs except for the film/ condensation/ residue not going away are good.

#30 ·
3 uk winters have done then same thing to mine. its just a little moisture in the crank case. notthing to worry about. the pumping action of v-twins do tend to drag a little moisture into the crank case through the breather pipes to the air box. also blows a little oil into the airbox. this oil gets collected in the side of the air box with the mesh filter and where the breather pipes connect.
my dad's nt700 deauville v-twin does the same thing and atm does have a cloudy oil sight glass. and it does go after a long ish ride.

#32 ·
I have the same condition others have stated. This past month I've only been doing short runs around town and back & forth to work, 8 miles round trip. This afternoon was nice & sunny, around 60 out so I bugged out of work an hour early and went for a ride. Put 50 miles on the bike with the last 12 miles on the interstate. Parked in the garage, checked the sight glass and no more condensation!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.