Water condensation in oil window - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

My bike has the same symptoms. Sight glass was milky all spring. Cleared up over the summer. Now it is milky again. Two oil changes showed no signs of contamination. So I no longer give it much worry. Unfortunately the condition makes the sight glass useless.

Others since 1978: 70 Yam 90 HT1, 76 Hodaka Road Toad, 79 Hon XL125
79 Hon CM400T, 83 Hon XR200R, 73 Hodaka ACE100B+, 85 Yam XJ700
85 Yam XJ700X , 97 HD XL, 97 Kaw KDX220, 03 Kaw ZR7S, 96 HD FXD, 07 HD VRSCD, 05 DL650, 03 HD FLHT, 08 HD FXD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

My Glee has the same symptons nothing to worry about at all as previously said its condensation it will clear itself after a good run, my 2008 wee did it as well.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the info, guys. I am no longer in panic mode though I'll probably still have a mechanic look at it. A theoretical question though. My previous bike, a Suzuki cruiser, never had this issue, and I rode that through all sorts of foul weather too. My wife's Gladius, which has pretty much the same engine as the 2012 Vstrom, does not have this problem (although it doesn't see as much use as mine). So why would one bike have water condensation, while another similar one does not?
Old 11-08-2012, 07:01 PM
$tromtrooper

Nothing to worry about. Condensation accumulate after too much short trips.
I saw this often in oil filler cap of car engines when i worked in a service station.

Last edited by fortp; 11-08-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I'm wondering if you may have had some contamination in the oil that was lying around.

An easy test would be draining (and retaining) the oil and changing the filter. You may need it later if there are head gasket leaks, etc in the motor.

I've always heard that running water in the oil is not all that good for the motor.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

This subject has me wondering. The 2012 has the oil to water cooler for engine oil. The 2004-2011 models had oil to air engine oil coolers.

I don't recall this much attention to having condensation in the oil on previous generation Wees...or Vees for that matter.

Could the new oil cooler be a bit too efficient at keeping oil temps down on shorter runs? I would imagine it has a thermostat, but maybe there is a small bypass? I'll try to think to look at the shop manual to see what I can find. If there is condensation in the oil, it is not getting hot enough to evaporate it out. Small amounts are not a problem but I wouldn't like it either.

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com
Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry info@werksparts.com
Old 11-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
This subject has me wondering. The 2012 has the oil to water cooler for engine oil. The 2004-2011 models had oil to air engine oil coolers.

I don't recall this much attention to having condensation in the oil on previous generation Wees...or Vees for that matter.

Could the new oil cooler be a bit too efficient at keeping oil temps down on shorter runs? I would imagine it has a thermostat, but maybe there is a small bypass? I'll try to think to look at the shop manual to see what I can find. If there is condensation in the oil, it is not getting hot enough to evaporate it out. Small amounts are not a problem but I wouldn't like it either.
interesting theory, the oil temp has to be above 212 before it even starts to evap the moisture out
99 SV650 (135,006 miles)
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
[URL="www.gbhsurvey.com"]www.gbhsurvey.com[/URL]
[IMG]http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/xv920r/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
interesting theory, the oil temp has to be above 212 before it even starts to evap the moisture out
100 deg C boils water, below that its evaporation.

It say's it here: Evaporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia so it must be true.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:31 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
It takes a long time for oil to warm up compared to the coolant. Certainly for short trips the liquid based oil cooler allows the oil to get up to operating temperature much faster than air cooled oil coolers, as the heat from the coolant warms the oil. Once the oil has gone beyond a certain temperature then the heat from the oil flows into the coolant. In cars I'm familiar with that have liquid based oil coolers the oil temperature gets up to 110c or 230f and stays there. I'm sure that the oil takes way longer to warm up with air based oil cooler.

..Tom

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

Last edited by V-Tom; 12-07-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Stupid typos from entering on my iPad and being a clutz
Old 11-09-2012, 07:08 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oop North John View Post
100 deg C boils water, below that its evaporation.

It say's it here: Evaporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia so it must be true.
He was talking farenheit so , 212 Degree F = 100 degree C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.