DL650A L2 known issues? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default DL650A L2 known issues?

Hi
I am new to the forum and considering buying a second hand V Strom 650, ABS model L2 which I believe is the latest.
I wondered if there were any known issues with this model that I should be aware of.
The reason I ask is that last year I bought a second hand BMW F800ST, and only afterwards found out on their forum that the model I bought had known "piston slap" problems.
I don't want to make the same mistake again, so I would very much appreciate any advice on whether this latest model V Strom has any issues, and any helpful hints as to what problems to look out for when making my purchase.

I also wonder whether there is a problem with handle-bar vibration, as I also found this a problem with the beemer.
Thanks for any advice, much appreciated
Clive
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hi, I've had my L2 about a year and to give you some idea of how terrible this bike isn't, best you have a read of this:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-20...0-niggles.html

Most common issues seem to be the screen, some love the stock one, others hate it, vibration when you have the Suzuki crash bars fitted and lock stickiness with the re-badges Trax panniers and top boxes.

BTW when "gas mileage" is mentioned, the mean mpg, but of course in the US version of a gallon which IIRC is based on a gallon of wine, bags are things you put on racks and we call them panniers etc etc. Does cause hilarity at times

I came from an BM 1100GS and owned a BM 650GS twin in the past and there seems to be no disaster problems like the 650GS twin chain snapping or ignition switches that fail so you can't turn the engine off with the key.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Dealership or private sale? Just curious...

The only real complaints I have would be the windscreen and seat. I'm a bigger guy and that may be part of the problem. The seat is better than some bikes I've owned (BMW K1200GT). There are many options out there for the seat, and it may not bother you. For the windscreen, I ordered a Madstad bracket and MRA Vario X-creen to replace the stock screen, but I haven't had a chance to ride it yet with the new windscreen.

As far as the engine guards, when I bought my bike, the dealership didn't have any bars in stock, so they ordered mine. When they installed them, I had horrible vibrations (I believe) around the 4200-4700 rpm range, which is ~ 60-65mph. Some people report no problems with vibes. Some feel them, but don't mind them. Some can't stand them and lose the bars. To me the vibration was so bad that my hands were numb after 30 min so I had them removed. I don't plan on taking it off road, so I don't see the need for them.

Get the bike and ride it like you stole it!

2012 DL650 - Havin' a blast!
2006 Suzuki VStar 1100 - To low to the ground, got tired of dragging the boards.
2009 BMW K1200GT - Couldn't do the high prices for EVERYTHING
2008 Yamaha FZ1 - Had to give up the sport bike style
2004 Suzuki SV650S - Outgrew it
2006 HD XL1200C - Tried but couldn't do the HD thing
Old 11-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Check out the video on the first post in this thread?

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-20...ool-video.html

what might be of interest to you especially is that it's a UK registered bike that stars in the video ....
Old 11-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Let it be known, I previously had a gs500, so my thoughts on my 2012 wee may be a little higher than others here, but my only real complaint with the 'strom is that the horn is too close to the indicator (which appears to be one of the most mentioned problems with the bike in the 'niggles' thread).
Also the ABS kicks in very early IMHO and cannot be turned off (without a kit, or pulling the fuse)
Other than those 2 things, I have not had ANY problems with buffeting on highway speed, and if fairly tall at 6'3, but I do have the factory "adventure" shield with the pivoty-flap-thing so I suppose that helps a little.
all in all, great bike, YMMV
Old 11-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by team_milan View Post
Also the ABS kicks in very early IMHO and cannot be turned off (without a kit, or pulling the fuse)
That has nothing to do with the ABS, ABS can't kick in early. ABS kicks in when you lock the wheel. If you don't lock the wheel it won't kick in.

What your really saying is your not used to the powerful rear brake on the strom and you keep locking the rear, causing the ABS to come on. After a year or two you might find your riding style is hard on rear brake pad wear.

If you keep having this problem, try adjusting the rear brake lever to a lower position so that you have to push it further to get to the point of locking.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default 650 dl 2012 carpe diem

go for it ,it's a very versatile bike .
I use it for touring, loaded with tent bedding food & water for 3 or 4 days
4.2 liters of fuel per 100 km
eats blacktop & handels dirt roads or fire trails with ease.
If you are going offroad with it you might want to fit a bash plate
to give that underslung exhaust and oil filter some protection.
I fitted some hand guards which are great in winter, and also give some protection when scratching around off pavement.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatic View Post
That has nothing to do with the ABS, ABS can't kick in early. ABS kicks in when you lock the wheel. If you don't lock the wheel it won't kick in.
I thought that the abs kicks in if it thinks that the wheel speed is too slow compared to the speedo, not when it is already locked. I have not yet tried taking out the fuse and riding it without the abs, so i will try that tonight on my way home and post my findings.
I have also noticed that the rear abs will kick in with even the lightest pressure when on uneven pavement.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

The ABS has nothing to do with the speedo, the speedo reading comes from the wheel speed anyway. The ABS compares the front and rear wheel speeds (compensating for diameter) and looks for a difference.

If the rear is going slower than the front then the rear is starting to lock and the ABS kicks in. At that point if you had no ABS the rear of the bike would be starting to slide sideways, particularly if you are turning at all.

It kicks in over uneven pavement as the is locking as it bounces up in the air over the uneven ground.

I rode a 2004 model non-ABS Vstrom for 8 years before getting the new one, it has the same rear brake and it does lock easily. I had many moment over the years when I went to brake to avoid a car and momentarily locked the rear (before my brain ABS kicked in) and that moment was enough to unsettle the bike and get it sideways. Luckily I ride track days and am one of the better riders on the brakes so I could always deal with it. I have no doubt it would have unsettled a less experienced rider much more.

Last edited by pneumatic; 11-08-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:38 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatic View Post
The ABS has nothing to do with the speedo, the speedo reading comes from the wheel speed anyway. The ABS compares the front and rear wheel speeds (compensating for diameter) and looks for a difference.
If it were just that, you could lock the 2 wheels at the same time. Maybe the comparison between the wheel speed is one of the inputs of the ABS control, but i think it is mainly the rate of deceleration that is computed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement