DL650A L2 known issues? - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

so after testing out the bike with ABS disabled, i can comfortably say that it is programmed to kick in well before the wheels lock up, and that they could have dialed down the aggressiveness of the system.
But you brought up a good point snokarver, in that the rear brake on this bike is quite powerful (compared to my old bike anyway)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 11:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortp View Post
If it were just that, you could lock the 2 wheels at the same time. Maybe the comparison between the wheel speed is one of the inputs of the ABS control, but i think it is mainly the rate of deceleration that is computed.
I tried to give a very basic description, mainly just to highlight it doesn't look at the speedo as the speedo is one of the wheels (which one depends on the bike).

There is a lot of inaccurate stuff on the internet from what I can see. Comparing speeds of wheels is how it is done on cars, I am quite sure bikes do this also. If both lock it will release the brake and see if the wheel speed picks up. If it does then it keeps working. If the wheel speed picks up to less than 5-10mph then it lets the wheel lock. ABS doesn't work below this speed.

From what I understand it can be set to work at different points, in that it will kick in if one wheel is 20% slower than it should be, rather than waiting until it locks. But how it all works in detail seems to be a bit of a secret of the manufacturer.

team-milan, I suspect when you disabled your ABS and rode it again you just were aware you were locking or partially sliding your rear occasionally, particularly when it skips over bumps. The ABS is a much more sensitive and faster acting device than your brain. It can act to stop things that your brain won't even have time to process.

Set your rear brake lever lower and you'll probably find it better.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-09-2012, 02:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

AFAIK. It's a stand alone system, supplied by BOSCH, the only inputs it has are power and the wheel sensors. Greywolf has a manual, and can probably check that.

Personally I'm prepared to believe it's reacting to relative wheel speed changes faster than I can.

Yes, it kicks in a lot more than I remember locking wheels, but it happens in places where I can well believe it.

Pete
Old 11-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Moderator++

The manual doesn't say how the ABS system determines the need to ease the brake pressure AFAIK.

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Old 11-12-2012, 12:19 AM

Picked up DL650 L2 about 4 months ago. Ride about 800 miles a month and about half that is off road. The bike has its little flaws but all and all it has been great.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:23 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
The manual doesn't say how the ABS system determines the need to ease the brake pressure AFAIK.
Check the wiring diagram ?

If the ABS calculations being are done by the ECU, wheel pulse feeds go to the ECU and there's some sort of control signal to the ABS, or if the ABS unit is stand alone - just power and wheel pulse feeds go to the ABS unit (and not to the ECU) in which case relative wheel speed is the only option.

I strongly suspect the SECOND is the case simply because there's a speed pickup on the front sprocket - which you don't need if the ECU does ABS processing. (If the ECU gets speed pickups from the front wheel pulse output you can save $5/bike by losing the sprocket pickup sensor)

Thanks
Pete

Last edited by PeteW; 11-12-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

My only complaint, if you can call it that, is the lack of personality.

I farkled my 2007 heavily and I have yet to do this for the new bike so perhaps this is what is missing, but from a mechanical perspective it does most everything quite well.

I like my brain. My brain likes helmets. I wear a helmet.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm with CecilSaxon, but I've taken the farkling on my 2012 to a whole new level. My wife is sick of new stuff showing up every other week. So is that a bad point? Not necessarily, but the farkles are generally low-cost, so if you're coming from a GS of any flavor be prepared to have more money in your wallet. I know how much we all hate that!
Old 11-27-2012, 05:29 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Gosh, thanks to everyone for the very helpful replies, I am sorry I have not replied as quickly as I should. I did take one for a 50 mile test ride, and liked it a lot (apart from screen wind noise), but overall it is a very comfortable ride. I did find though that the riding style (being more upright) whilst very comfortable felt a bit "remote" and less envolving for me, but that is purely a personal observation and does not detract from the bike overall. It was in my short list, but I later took a Fazer8 out for a spin and absolutely loved it.
So unfortunately I will be leaving this very good forum to join the Fazer8 group, but I do thank you for taking the time to reply and hope that others will find this post helpful in the future.
Best wishes to you all
Clive.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

What a nice fella.... I hope he comes back to visit some time.
'78 KZ650 - Windjammer & sissy bar.
'08 Versys - commuter heaven.
'12 Vstrom - current bike main ride.
'07 DR650 - current bike for playtime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement