Trackside Handguards on a DL650AL2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Trackside Handguards on a DL650AL2

Iíve wanted to add a set of handguards on the the AL2 for awhile, but the price of the Barkbusters ($155) kept me from pulling the trigger. I didnít want to go with the stock Suzuki guards because they donít provide enough protection and arenít cheap, either (about $75).

I came across the Trackside aluminum handguard kit on sale at CycleGear yesterday - pretty stout looking and on sale for $44.95.

Did some searches on the forum and a thread that showed an installation on an older Wee and also found this YouTube vid with a review of them installed on a 2011 Trackside Aluminum Hand Guards on Suzuki DL650A - YouTube. I couldnít find anything on the fitiment for an AL2, but with these reviews and the price point, I decided to give them a try and share the install with you guys.
Here is a picture of the handguard hardware (one side).

I put the guard end over the bar end slider Ė the brake/clutch levers would not have cleared the guards otherwise. You just loosen and pull out the bar end slider, remove the compression nut and slide the screw out, place the guard over the top of the bar end slider, insert screw and then lightly tighten compression nut. The screw is plenty long enough and you use all of the original bar end hardware. Here is a picture of the order in which the hardware goes on with the guard.

Since these are universal fit, some parts require some clearancing (grinding and filing) to make them work. The first clearance issue was between the front swivel mount of the guard and the dash Ė they just barely came into contact at full lock.

I removed the swivel piece and ground about 1/8 inch off the face and that took care of the issue. This was the only issue on the clutch side beyond a little adjustment to the clutch lever mount to make things line up Ė nice and easy.

The same could not be said for the throttle side. I had to do a lot of clearancing on the swivel piece the bottom handlebar mount bracket because of the brake line and brake banjo bolt.

I am very happy with the end result. It took about 1.5 hours but it was worth it for the savings and quality of the guards. Here is the final set up.

Last picture - I promise.
2012 DL650AL2

Last edited by EVstrom; 11-04-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

That arrangement looks a lot like my BarkBuster 44's. (at a 1/3 of the price!)

Last edited by stoked steve; 11-04-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Well done. I saw those guards in CycleGear last week & was wondering how they would fit on the 2012. Nice job & great write-up & pics.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Hand Guards

Thanx for the write up and pics. They look fine and at a very reasonable price as well. BTW i like your bags, who makes them?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil323 View Post
Thanx for the write up and pics. They look fine and at a very reasonable price as well. BTW i like your bags, who makes them?
I bought a pair of used Nelson Rigg CL-850's off of a fellow Trooper a few months back. The tank bag is a Joe Rocket Manta.
2012 DL650AL2
Old 11-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVstrom View Post
I bought a pair of used Nelson Rigg CL-850's off of a fellow Trooper a few months back. The tank bag is a Joe Rocket Manta.
Do these bags require side mounting frames?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

[B]2012 DL650A[/B] w/ Givi Crash Bars + AF3101, Touratech Skid Plate, EB Headlight Relays, AdventureTech Mirror Ext + Peg Lowering Kit + Fork Brace, Signal Dynamics Back Off XP, Lowering Links, Handlebar Risers, G2 Ergonomics Handguards and Plastics, Omni-Cruise, Radiator Guard, Garage Door Opener, TomTom GPS Charging Port, Dan Vessel Soft Luggage Stand-Off, Nelson-Rigg CL850's
Old 11-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlkjw View Post
Do these bags require side mounting frames?
No, they hang over the seat and affix to the passenger peg mounts with straps. They do require a bag support on the left side. I went with the Dan Vessel - here is a link to a thread that gives more info on this product: http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-20...2-v-strom.html

The exhaust heat shield supports the right side of bag, but the soft rubberized pad that goes between the bag and shield quickly curves from the heat of the exhaust and touches the pipe in short order. I fabricated a sheet metal piece and pop riveted it to the pad so if could not curl and that took care of the problem.
2012 DL650AL2
Old 11-05-2012, 09:59 AM
$tromtrooper

Most excellent "documentary write-up"...........well done, great pics to explain. I have not looked at my Barkbusters lately and might have the same problem: if you do take a spill, and the handguards/brackets swivel, will it be enough to destroy the gauges (left side), or brake system (right side)????? Like I said, I have not looked at my own set-up.........I might have the same problems (or worse!).

Last edited by mark444; 11-05-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark444 View Post
I have not looked at my Barkbusters lately and might have the same problem: if you do take a spill, and the handguards/brackets swivel, will it be enough to destroy the gauges (left side), or brake system (right side)????? Like I said, I have looked at my own set-up.........I might have the same problems (or worse!).
The guages should be ok, but your point about possible damage the brake system (banjo bolt and/or brake line) is a very good one. I would be curious to see a pic of the Barkbusters on the brake side to see if they have a similar issue or if they are mounted in a way that avoids the problem and could be copied with the Tracksides.
2012 DL650AL2
Old 11-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Another satisfied Trackside handguard installer

Installed a set of Trackside Handguards on my 2012 yesterday, same issues you had but used a set of Rox risers to eliminate the contact with the dash. Thanks for the great pictures and walk thru, it helped doing mine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
glee , handguards