Trackside Handguards on a DL650AL2 - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark444 View Post
if you do take a spill, and the handguards/brackets swivel, will it be enough to destroy the gauges (left side), or brake system (right side)????? Like I said, I have not looked at my own set-up.........I might have the same problems (or worse!).
I'm curious what people think about this. Is the benefit of the guards (hand protection, possible protection of levers and other components if guards don't swivel) worth the risk of damaging the barrel nut or brake line if the bike takes a spill and the guards do swivel?

Has anyone with a similar installation of Barkbusters or Trackside (or other) ever hit the throttle side guard and taken out their brake line?
2012 DL650AL2
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I would be curious to see a pic of the Barkbusters on the brake side to see if they have a similar issue or if they are mounted in a way that avoids the problem and could be copied with the Tracksides.
This is what mine look like. I dropped the bike in the garage on this side and the bracket/mount did not budge, although the bar bent pretty well.

I think the most common type of fall (tipping over on it's side) is going to push the mount away from the brake MC. If you whack it hard enough to push it upwards into the MC then you're going to have a lot more serious problems to worry about than a broken brake line...I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:09 PM
$tromtrooper

I installed a set of these trackside guards on my L2 also, but I had replaced my bars first.
The pullback on the stock bars cause my wrists to hurt...
Old 11-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Great write-up. I had already gouged the plastic cowling and busted my knuckles trying to get the correct Trackside fit on my 08 wee, then finally I checked stromtrooper. It never occurred to me I could shorten the mounting posts by grinding them down a bit. Absolutely solved the fit problem I was having. Now I'm just hoping I can solve the bike dropping problem I'm having when I take my poor wee off road! Totally destroyed both turn signals, one OEM hand guard, one side case and a clutch lever in a single afternoon of off-road, snow packed folly.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-07-2012, 12:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked steve View Post
I dropped the bike in the garage on this side and the bracket/mount did not budge, although the bar bent pretty well.

I think the most common type of fall (tipping over on it's side) is going to push the mount away from the brake MC. If you whack it hard enough to push it upwards into the MC then you're going to have a lot more serious problems to worry about than a broken brake line...I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks for posting the picture. The Barkbusters have a bit more clearance, but still close to the MC. I think you have it right...I'm just gonna ride and stop worrying about it.
2012 DL650AL2
Old 02-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Re: Trackside Handguards on a DL650AL2

Cycle gear has these for $20 on sale today!! I got some today! Can't wait to get them!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

1999 Triumph Trophy 1200

2012 Vstrom 650 (current)
Old 02-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordneeko View Post
Cycle gear has these for $20 on sale today!! I got some today! Can't wait to get them!

The ones for $20 are brush-guards, not the handguards that can be had on sale for $45.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default Re: Trackside Handguards on a DL650AL2

Ah.. Touché... Well all I really needed was wind deflectors anyways. . these should do the trick.

1999 Triumph Trophy 1200

Old 02-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Well I got my Trackside Brushguards and got them installed. They are a tight fit, and i had to do some adjusting. Thought I'd share my pics

Trackside Brushguards

I had to move the controls on the right side VERY slightly

I was worried it was going to pinch the cable going into the throttle...but it "looks" ok....

Made it fit (Right side)

I love how the labels come off VERY easily

At first I'd hoped that I could just move over the Heaterz controller and it would work

But 1) it was too far away from my hand, and 2) it hit the windscreen at full lock

It looks better here and is even

The Left side

They look good

Potential use of the stickers....I'll see if it grows on me

One note, even though I did some adjusting, they still do "touch" the windscreen at both full locks...but JUST barely...so i'm happy.

Tomorrow morning it'll be about 36F...we'll see if I like the wind protection.

1999 Triumph Trophy 1200

Old 02-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Trackside Handguards on a DL650AL2

Well done. You will feel some relief from the cold air.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
2012 DL650AL2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
glee , handguards