What top case to get? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Default What top case to get?

Just wanted to get opinions/advice/suggestions on what brand top case to get for my 2012 Wee-Strom. The side cases on my bike are on the picture. Some of the sites I’ve visited so far:

Givi Topcase Rack (Suzuki V-Strom DL650, '12-) - TwistedThrottle.com

Zega Pro Topcase Rack, Rapid Trap, Suzuki V-Strom DL650, 2012-on - Touratech-USA

Thank you for chiming in.
Cheers,
Bikerpilotdanny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Suzuki-V-Strom-650-ABS-Adventure_010.jpg (85.7 KB, 104 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 10:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

Note that both the links you posted are for the racks only - which mount to the bike rear rack and let you mount that specific vendor's top-case (at additional charge).
Don't go cheap-o, but you don't need to spend top-dollar (or top-Euro) to get a functional case.
That's a decision only you can make because top-cases are built to meet certain needs. For some it's camping and touring, others commuting, others going to school, some it's groceries, etc.
What purpose do you want to meet?
These forums are a great way to get feedback on one or another case. Both the racks you linked are for good equipment.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

If you wanna go cheap, JC Whitney top box. If you want to brag, get a Givi or other high end box.
You might consider getting a Pelican and mount if flat. Depends on what you want to carry.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Bestem is another cheap option. Lightweight, vibrating piece of crap - but the price was right, rack included, holds bunches of stuff, and keeps it dry.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:58 PM
$tromtrooper

Default Givi V46 Monokey

Givi V46 Monokey - I love it

so much better then the smaller Monolock I used to have on my EX250.

ITs bigger than I need - and that turned out to be ideal!
Old 10-31-2012, 11:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Top boxes are very personal indeed and the way they are used should always be considered. Mine is to specific for most people and required a custom built rack to mount it . It has air vents and a built in leash and even came with food and water dishes. But it works. And cost less than most.

Its different but for a good reason.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Default Appreciate the replies so far...

Thanks for the replies, so far...

I looked at some actual cases now and boy some are reasonably priced while others cost both arms and legs…The two cases in the links below match my side cases best in design, color and style. But they are $571 each…ouch!

Zega Pro Topcase, Anodized Black, 38L, w/ Rapid Trap - Touratech-USA

Also FlyFishJeff posted this on another thread…nice matching Suzuki top case:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/803085-post25.html

But then BioStrom posted this about how the installed case rattled during the ride:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-20...-top-case.html

So I’m concerned that if I get the matching case, it’ll rattle also. Comments anyone?

Cheers,
Bikerpilotdanny.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:59 AM
$tromtrooper

Remember, depending on your body's "Build Quality" (i.e. waistline, height, etc), you might find it hard to swing your leg over (around??) one of the taller topboxes?? Other members have posted here how THEY mount their steed without having to swing their right leg back and around, but I'm old fashion and do it that way.........hence the reason I like my Pelican flat top box. It will not hold a helmet, but the flat surface allows me to mount a big Dry Bag up there on top of it when I go camping (.......and "yes", the Dry Bag does interfere with my leg-swinging antics occasionally).

Just wanted to throw out another option........with Pros and Cons.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

Who has legs long enough to swack the top box while mounting the bike? When traveling I have to lift my leg to slide over the seat because the gear U-pack is on the back seat.
Bikerdanny, you seemed to have gravitated toward the most rugged looking and expensive of the top box set. Even Pelicans in the square style are less pricey, I think. And very stout too.
BMW has nothing on Touratech prices!
And BMW means Bring My Wallet!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

I've got the Hepco & Becker Black Gobi on my bike, easy to get on / off and has a 42 litre capacity. Only downside I think is you can't fit either of the full face helmets we own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement