Lowering the bike vs handling - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Moderator++

2 inches is dangerous. 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" is the maximum. Your tire can hit the inner fender. With the rear lowered more than the front, the aerodynamics are worse than stock so front end lift at speed is even more of a factor. You may have been lucky so far but you're pushing the envelope.

As to the 3/4" front lowering on my bike, it's really 3/4" fork extension so isn't quite an actual 3/4".

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default lowering, lowering links not good for handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintrmute View Post
My mechanic has advised that this is likely to badly effect the handling of the bike though. I see a number of people on the forum have lowered their bikes.. how did you find the result?
i agree with your mechanic. the only thing lowering did for my bike was make it a little easier to get on and off. i didnt like the handling effects at all. dragging hard parts all over the place, curves, drag hard parts even in a straight line over speed bumps. i actually had to slow my overall pace down. first i lowered .75'' frt. & 1.125'' rear. that was really no good. then, .75'' frt.& .75'' rear. still no good. finally went back to stock. glad i did. no more dragging hard parts. m.o.f., i have a pair of .75'' lowering links that i would be glad to sell ya if you decide that the way youre going to go.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
2 inches is dangerous. 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" is the maximum. Your tire can hit the inner fender. With the rear lowered more than the front, the aerodynamics are worse than stock so front end lift at speed is even more of a factor. You may have been lucky so far but you're pushing the envelope.

As to the 3/4" front lowering on my bike, it's really 3/4" fork extension so isn't quite an actual 3/4".
You are correct, 2 inches was dangerous and scary, the wind was horrible on lift and it didn't want to turn anywhere. Kinda felt like..... Well we won't go there. But I changed the rear back to stock and left the front fork tubes up 3/4 like your set up and I love it. Never again will I lower a bike that much, I was just surprised at the 4 inch option on he dog bonesI mean, in understand they are meant for a gixxer as well but that just seems ridiculous.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I lowered mine just like Greywolf had done and haven't seen any issues. 3/4" Koubalinks in the back and moved the front tubes up 3/4". I am able to get more of my feet on the ground any more lowered and I think I would need a new side stand though. I haven't hit the skid plate or foot pegs on anything yet between road and an easy ATV/OHM trail but I don't drive very aggressive either.

If you do lower it and are using a side stand just be prepared for it to feel a little funny putting the stand down especially loaded with luggage. I haven't had any real issues with it but the bike sits more upright on the stand.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default different specs but feels great

I'm a short inseam person (about 30" I think), and with the L2 as it was, I couldn't get confidence with a secure foot hold on uneven ground or camber.
I put the KoubaLink 2 links on the back for an 1 1/8" height decrease -- and then pushed the fork tubes up the tripleclamp 5/8". I now get the full ball of both feet on the ground for secure footing around
I suppose this setup sounds like it'd be a slow turner -- perhaps it is and I wouldn't know, not having anything to compare it with. However, it feels great to me. (I could try the local shop's demo bike to see if there is a difference).
My setup is great on the open road and on gravel roads. The traffic here is minimal -- so can't usefully comment there.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Chris,
How do you find the side stand after lowering that much?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Chris,
I was a bit nervous at first, about never having to park in a place with camber going the wrong way. The bike certainly isn't completely upright (I'll try to attach a picture). I've taken to carrying one of those double sided hook/loop strips (pinched from a laptop computer cord) to squeeze the front brake on by strapping it to the throttle handgrip, to give me a bit more piece of mind when parking where the stand needs to be, that has a bit of a slope going forwards. I really was going to get someone to cut and weld the stand -- but the longer I go on without that, the more I see I don't need to change it.
[I see picture didn't attach -- maybe it was a size thing (2.265 KB) -- I'll try again if it would help to see it]

Last edited by chrisbre; 11-07-2012 at 02:09 AM. Reason: picture didn't attach
Old 11-07-2012, 02:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

bike on sidestand.jpg
Quote:
Chris,
Hopefully this worked -- a picture of the bike on a flat surface
Old 11-07-2012, 02:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

That looks fine -- doesn't look that different to the regular bike to me!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
That looks fine -- doesn't look that different to the regular bike to me!
There's a bit in it -- but not a whole lot eh.
And the handling certainly doesn't feel compromised.
I think I could have lived with a pre 2012 wee as it is -- but this new and much better model was a must have in comparison -- so a solution for the additional height was needed (for me), and I decided to go all the way to really comfortable.
If the bars were raised with a set of risers -- then the forks could come up the tripleclamps more -- but I stopped at 5/8". I might look at risers anyway, to see if the BarkBusters I've bought will then clear the dash when the bars are on full-lock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
handling , lower , lowering , suspension