2012 vStrom 650 niggles... - Page 5 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Greg,

I agree, the low alternator output is my biggest gripe with the V-Strom. Highly recommend you get a volt gage. While there is no question that you can drain the battery with heated gear it does take awhile. I live in NC and occassionally travel to the Baltimore area for work, about a seven hour trip. Last February I rode up and had a full set of Gerbings either near or at maximum settings for the entire trip. By the time I got to Ft Meade my volt meter said 11.6 volts. I fully expected to need a jump to get going. A few hours later I tried to start the bike and it fired right up with no problems. I also carry a spare battery and a set of jumper cables on long trips like this so if I do kill the battery I can get the bike going again.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

I must own up to honking merrily while doing a right turn yesterday.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Two weeks, and 2500km so far...

I picked my '12 650 after getting home from Afghanistan with a plan to go cross country on it until Hurricane Sandy wrecked everything.

The horn thing, I feel less bad now that it isn't just me!

I'm going to look into those lowering pegs, and also thinking about adding risers on my handlebars, as after a couple of hours I tend to get tensed shoulders and I think it'll help.

As for the TraX panniers, I broke one of the keys off in the lock the first day, but I had a locksmith make me new, proper keys, to replace the junk that's supplied. My dealer is going to steer anyone he sells them to to do the same.

I wish they supplied the dry bags that SW-Motech normally includes with those cases. And I do not understand why a centre stand isn't standard.

Overall though, other than I'm glad yoga has made me flexible to climb on to it, I'm pretty happy with the bike... It'll get at least another week before I have to winterize it. Next spring, I can't wait...
Old 11-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

i dont find the side stand a problem as i always leave any bike i put on the side stand in "gear" ...i do find the footrest are high and it makes me feel like an ape , with my knees up high so i subsitute this with my "airhawk " ..might have a look at footrest lowers ...apart from that the bike fits me perfect ....
Old 11-11-2012, 03:38 PM
$tromtrooper

Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
Freeze indicator too bright also. Mine came on for the first time yesterday morning, and holy cow is it annoying
"Freeze"??? What does that word mean???

Does it refer to a "ze" that one receives for no money?
I asked a lot of people here in Florida, and nobody knows what it means.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:30 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default Niggles

I find that if I use the hand brake to exit the bike (which they teach you in the MSF course, I do not have a problem with the side stand. Other than that, this is one of the best bikes I have ever owned. Even as good (and half the price) of the BMW GS I just sold. BMWs are getting too expensive to buy and too expensive to work on. I looked at the new GS prior to buying the Wee, and the new GS is almost $20,000. The 600 mile service on the last new BMW I owned was close to $400.00. My service on the Wee was $183.00. Also, all the aftermarket stuff and OEM stuff is a lot less expensive.

In other words, I love my new 2012 Wee. Only minor Niggle is, when I coming to a stop and don't downshift quick enough, it makes it hard to downshift back to first gear. SO, I have to be careful to downshift to first gear prior to the bike coming to a full stop. I just came back from a ride to Colorado from Houston. On the first day of the ride back home, I rode from Salida Colorado to San Angelo Texas (703 miles). I was not sore and the bike did great handling my 300 pound frame and approximately 40 pounds of gear. I would also suggest an Air Hawk seat cushion for those of you that get sore bottoms when riding. They are expensive, but cheaper than a new seat.

Enjoy your new bikes and get used to the Niggles!!!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:43 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Horn = yes. Hit it more than planned

Stock features for adv model should include stock oil cover, hand covers, and center stand. Lots of aftermarket options and maybe they expect buyers to wan some farkling but should be stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Falkner View Post
"Freeze"??? What does that word mean???

Does it refer to a "ze" that one receives for no money?
I asked a lot of people here in Florida, and nobody knows what it means.
You need to get out more often. Maybe a road trip to the rockies, or the great lakes about now, would do it! LOL!

L2 DL650A The Orange Machine
K7 DL650 Hi Yo Silver R.I.P!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
High beam indicator on the dash is too bright.
yep...i put a small circle of black electrical tape...a little blue aroud the edges of it works great!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:33 AM
$tromtrooper

Is there an obvious way to fix the horn button niggle? It happened to me again today, and it occured to me that it would be as simple as reversing the angle of the button.

It's tilted to follow the line of the handlebar, so it juts out further on the outside of the button, towards the bar end, than the part that's inside toward the steering column. It's that extra bit of sticking out near the hand grip that makes it intersect my thumb as it moves toward the turn signal button.

So if the angle were reversed - have it hang out more on the INSIDE away from the hand grip - it would be no problem. It would mean a slightly greater effort in terms of moving the left thumb to engage the horn, but it's way too easy as it is now.

Or heck, just make the horn button flat.

How hard could it be to make a substitute horn button for the OEM part and to install it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.