Officially a Stromtrooper now - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 01:03 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default Officially a Stromtrooper now

Well, today I brought home the last available orange '12 V-Strom 650 in Texas (according to my dealer). I traded in my 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R, and I must say that I'm amazed at how much smoother the V-Strom is. I now fully understand why everyone loves these bikes so much.

Next step is to dive into the very deep accessory market. Has anyone tried fitting the Givi crash bars with the OEM under cowling, or should I just get the OEM crash bars as well? Regardless, I'm probably going to fit the frame sliders from SVRacingParts.com, so I'm thinking it probably just boils down to cost and/or aesthetics.

Has anyone fitted the Givi bars and Givi belly pan? How do you like it? I'm considering that combination as well.

At any rate, I love this bike already even though I only had the chance to ride it home from the dealership today. I'm hoping to find some free time tomorrow or Sunday to burn off some of these break-in miles.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 01:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

When I was looking to replace my old 2004 Vstrom I thought about going to the Versys for something different. But even the Kawasaki guys said the Versys engine is agricultural compared to the Vstrom. Interesting to see you have similar comments.

I never did try a Versys, but I'm pretty sure I made the right choice upgrading to the new model Vstrom

Enjoy breaking your bike in!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-27-2012, 01:29 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Congratulations on the new bike, I am new to the V-Strom too, I brought mine home just two days ago...I chose the Adventure model.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:53 AM
$tromtrooper

welcome to the insanity, you did the right thing

do a search here on the givi bars, many have vibration issues when using them, just sayin'
Old 10-27-2012, 07:18 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Congratulations and enjoy the new bike.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have the givi bars and swmotech pan. Like it but the install on the pan was a bit hokey. from what i have heard the givi pan isnt too sturdy, but if you are just using it as protection from road debris and small rocks on dirt/gravel roads it will suffice.
'13 Yamaha FZ8
Old 10-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbsdave View Post
welcome to the insanity, you did the right thing

do a search here on the givi bars, many have vibration issues when using them, just sayin'
I dont know what people are talking about with that. I put mine on and no issues at all. The only time i feel the extra vibe from it is when i use them as leg rests. Its a v twin motor.... Stuff vibrates especially when you are bolting something to part of the frame/motor mounts.
'13 Yamaha FZ8
Old 10-27-2012, 11:00 AM
$tromtrooper

The look is a bit unconventional, but perhaps czech out the Pat Walsh Designs skid plate/engine guard assembly. Made in USA and very well thought out.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPockets View Post
I dont know what people are talking about with that. I put mine on and no issues at all. The only time i feel the extra vibe from it is when i use them as leg rests. Its a v twin motor.... Stuff vibrates especially when you are bolting something to part of the frame/motor mounts.
I guess it's different strokes for different folks. I had mine for about a week before having the OEM bars installed. I ordered them when I bought the bike and had to go back to have them installed. I was about halfway home from the dealership and I could tell they had to go.

The vibes weren't bad until I reached 60mph, that RPM level is where I felt them the worst. Since I only ride on the street, that was a problem for me.
By the time I got home, my hands were numb. I went back the next day and had them removed.

I went with SVRacing Parts frame sliders and the oil filter cover from Dan Vessel to help protect the oil filter.

2012 DL650 - Havin' a blast!
2006 Suzuki VStar 1100 - To low to the ground, got tired of dragging the boards.
2009 BMW K1200GT - Couldn't do the high prices for EVERYTHING
2008 Yamaha FZ1 - Had to give up the sport bike style
2004 Suzuki SV650S - Outgrew it
2006 HD XL1200C - Tried but couldn't do the HD thing
Old 10-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglefrq View Post
I guess it's different strokes for different folks. I had mine for about a week before having the OEM bars installed. I ordered them when I bought the bike and had to go back to have them installed. I was about halfway home from the dealership and I could tell they had to go.

The vibes weren't bad until I reached 60mph, that RPM level is where I felt them the worst. Since I only ride on the street, that was a problem for me.
By the time I got home, my hands were numb. I went back the next day and had them removed.

I went with SVRacing Parts frame sliders and the oil filter cover from Dan Vessel to help protect the oil filter.
I know the OEM bars are really bad frim what i have read, but i am talking about the ones from Givi.

True every one has different tastes, mine dont bother me much. Ive ridden bikes that will rattle the fillings out of your teeth.
'13 Yamaha FZ8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement