IXIL Exhaust on a 2012 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 09:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default IXIL Exhaust on a 2012

Ok, so my exhaust just arrived. I probably won't get to fit it until the weekend.

I ordered the carbon version of the IXIL exhaust, it and the GPR are pretty evenly priced in Australia (or when shipped to).

The IXIL website shows this;

I opened the packaging and pulled everything apart, including pulling the end cap off the muffler so I could have a look at the dB killer insert.

This shows the muffler, with the insert pulled out to the right, to the right of that is a little stainless exhaust tip that slips inside of the aluminium end cap, I presume to protect it from the heat. The big surprise is the IXIL label is a sticker that you have to put on yourself.

This show the dB killer insert. It has a blanked off end so exhaust gases have to go in the 12 x 10mm holes before going out. The tip insert and end cap are in the background. The end cap is die-cast and a lot lighter than I thought it might be.

The front of the muffler has a recess of a larger diameter, the end of the main exhaust pipe has a flared section as well. I assume this is for the catalytic convertor insert, which I assume is optional as I didn't get one.

The dB killer insert is 36mm ID, so has an area of 1018mm2. The 12 x 10mm holes have an area of 942mm2. It really needs another 10mm hole to be matched in area. This is quite a reduction from the main pipe and exhaust core size of 48mm ID, which is 1810mm2 in area.

The weights of parts are;
* 700g - main 48mm pipe
* 1260g - y pipe
* 2190g - muffler with dB killer insert
* 120g - stainless steel rear bracket

The carbon fiber quality isn't great. There are little pits where air bubbles came to the surface, and there is lots of air bubbles below the surface trapped around the weave.

Last edited by pneumatic; 10-26-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

very interested in your feedback on this both fitting and sound. I am close on one of these
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

I installed the exhaust today.

First up, the stock exhaust weighed 8-8.5kg, my bigger scales aren't that accurate.

As you can see above the new exhaust is about 4.3kg, so the new exhaust saves about 4kg in weight.

Installing was a bit of a pain. First problem was something the akro guys are familiar with. The exhaust had an M18 thread in it but the Vstrom has a M12 oxygen sensor. I rang around for about an hour and no-one had seen or heard of a M18 to M12 O2 sensor adaptor. I ended up making my own. I had a M18x1.5 O2 sensor blank off bolt from a car exhaust I bought years ago. I got that bolt and drilled and tapped it for the M12x1.25 thread. That is an unusual thread, very fine, so I had to go and buy a new tap to do it ($29!).

Then once the O2 sensor was in the adapter it sat quite a long way out in the M18 bung in the exhaust. I ended up die grinding the M18 bung down internally so that the O2 sensor would actually see the hot gas flow

The new exhaust didn't come with any exhaust gaskets, the funny wire reinforced graphite type ones they used on the slips joints. So I had to use a screw driver and dig the old ones out. I ended up reusing them with some exhaust putty (maniseal) to help them still seal.

The next issue was that the front exhaust pipe couldn't slide far enough into the new exhaust to slot into the exhaust port. I ended up having to cut 15mm off the front stock header pipe to make it fit.

By the time I had it fitted I was pretty annoyed.

I started it with no insert, and it was quite loud. Too loud for me as I use the bike every day as a commuter. For a weekend play bike it might be ok, but I don't want to annoy the neighbours on a daily basis.

With the insert it's ok. The insert design gives it a slight leaky exhaust sound. It could be improved I think. Starting it and blipping the throttle it sounds more like a bike. Riding on cruising throttle it's relatively quiet (to the rider at least). When you open the throttle it does start to bark and make noise. Not a ducati sound, more like a Guzzi if anything. I am going to try to video it tomorrow to see what it sounds like from road side.

I wonder what it would sound like if it had it's optional catalytic converter in it. My friend has a bandit with a similar size carbon fiber pipe, with no insert but the stock catalytic convertor. It sounds a little quieter and better, totally different engine though.

I haven't put the IXIL sticker on yet, not entirely sure I will. Another thing I did is paint the rear muffler bracket satin black. I thought it looked silly the plain stainless steel colour as in the IXIL photos above. It looked out of place.

Powerwise, there is no extra power. With my modified stock exhaust I had a little hole in the midrange but a strong topend. Now the power is much more linear. I can't tell if the top end surge is less now, or it just feels less because the power is more linear.

Last edited by pneumatic; 10-26-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

so would you buy the same again?

I am still looking at getting one, if i do what would you recommend getting as parts before install

Thanks
Old 10-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Before you start the install you need to have a M18x1.5 to M12x1.25 O2 sensor adapter. Buying 2 of those exhaust gaskets would also be a good idea.

I'd be tempted to go for the GPR. It is actually $20 cheaper once shipped from the UK. It's 2-1 header section looks better quality, the slip-on header pipes are actually properly flared single pieces of pipe rather than weird welded on adaptor pieces on the IXIL. It is made for the 2012 so should have the correct O2 sensor thread in it. It is a nicer shiny finish on the stainless piping rather than the weird sandblasted finish on the IXIL.

The reason I didn't go with the GPR is that there is no photo of the carbon pipe on the bike. I don't know how it sits and how it looks on the bike. The IXIL sits really well on the bike, and finishes nice and short. It doesn't stick out the back like some of the other pipes.

GPR;
G.P.R. σσ Born to Run™ σσ Made in Italy
Old 10-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

Nice write up.

Looks like there is going to be issues no matter what exhaust you buy though.

I just submitted my claim to Akra for a possible change. I notice a rattling noise at the Y pipe when I rev it up in neutral. There's always something.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

well despite your warning/problems I have just ordered a sceaming demon(same company) s/steel system at under $470 delivered it is worth a shot. I have asked questions about the oxy sensor and fit just waiting to hear back. But at least I will be prepared thanks to your report
Old 10-27-2012, 06:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

I just got a call from chris who sells the exhausts and he told be that they have had the m18 -> m12 adaptors made and they came in Thursday last week and are now included in the 2012 kits he is going to express post me one just to make sure I get it. He also told if i had any problems with fitting it just give him a call.
I was happy with this
Old 10-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thumbs down I've had similar problems with IXIL exhausts in the past.

A post I made in another tread.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yeah, I remembered your post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.