Trax Box Carry Handles and Lashing Straps - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default Trax Box Carry Handles and Lashing Straps

I have sold out of straps. First, thanks to those who have bought a pair. Given the response I will be taking orders to run a 2nd run of straps. I will keep the order open until December 1st. $45 shipped in the US, $48 to Canada. I need to receive at least 5 orders to make it worth the time investment. Thanks! PM me your paypal email so I can send you an invoice.

Some say necessity is the mother of invention. I think it's cheapness. Not wanting to spend either $27.50 for just a carrying handle or $45.50 for a carrying handle with a sub par lashing system, I made my own. Oh yeah, those prices above are for just one handle. So really it's $55 or $91 for a pair, really? No way, I can make them myself.

I took some measurements of my Trax boxes that came on my 2012 V-strom 650. I wanted to straps to be long enough to lash a 40 Liter dry bag to the top of the boxes to carry light gear, like sleeping mats & sleeping bags. I needed them to lash to the boxes for when the wife is in the passenger seat. When shes not there, I use them for small dry bags for gear I want quick access to, like raingear.

So I found some handles, some double side adjustable quick releases, and polypropylene webbing & hit up the sewing machine once again.

As you an see, the straps are fully adjustable & can hold up to a 40 Liter bag (really they can fit any size, but my dry bags are 40 liters so I cut the tag ends.
Also, the tag ends are fully contained in the handles & box lashing points, so no tag ends flap in the breeze or melt on the exhaust.
Finally, I needed a solution to quickly adjust the straps so the tag ends do not flap when not using dry bags, but just using the straps as handles. I sewed in a thin red line (ha) so the straps always are adjusted the same way & super-tight.
Super adjustable, totally funtional, and oh yeah, a lot less than buying them on the web.
More pics at: https://picasaweb.google.com/Dan.Repella/TraxBoxStraps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG511.jpg (90.8 KB, 665 views)
File Type: jpg IMG518.jpg (86.0 KB, 518 views)
File Type: jpg IMG513.jpg (82.3 KB, 413 views)

Last edited by Capt_phun; 11-12-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Those are very nice! Well done.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks. I left the handle purposely loose so it can be removed or adjusted as needed. Also, the length of the strapping can really be anything someone wishes. I just cut mine to fit a 40L drybag. I don't know what would be larger than that strapped on top of a box. The webbing is easy to cut & then just hit the cut end with a lighter to prevent fraying.

I may end up making some of these for fellow Troopers if enough people are interested?
Old 10-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sounds like a small business venture! Those are very nice and well thought out.

I don't have those boxes, but if I did, I'd be willing to pay some money for those.

Nice job
Old 10-15-2012, 11:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Looks professional. Get a patent!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:54 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I have the same boxes. I will gladly pay you for a set! If you're serious let me know!

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 10-16-2012, 12:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'm in for a set.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

Nice, Capt. You'll have to let us know how much a set of these handles would cost. I am willing to buy a set for a reasonable price.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Old 10-16-2012, 08:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Ok there seems to be enough interest in the straps to warrant making some for fellow Troopers.

First some info:
I made my strap with Black webbing cause I like the matching look of it. I also used Silver thread to join the pieces of webbing because I thought it matched the Trax box colors well. I used red thread for the red line so it is easy to see in the loop of the quick release buckle.
Also, I left the handle unattached to the webbing so the handle can be moved over the top of the drybag as pictured so it could be carried as a whole unit. Or the handle could be removed if you desire & you can use the straps for other purposes (like clipping the webbing together to make a hanging line for a lantern, a clothes line for drying clothes, etc). I like my gear to have more than one purpose in life! With the handle sewn to the webbing you are limited with what the straps can do.

Given the response, I can offer a PAIR of Black webbing with silver thread or black thread for $45 shipped in the US, $48 shipped to Canada. If interested you can PM me & get info to pay with paypal (preferred) or a check.
Turn around time would be about 2 weeks (probably less) since I would need to order some more handles & clips as I only intended on making these for my boxes, but I have no problems making more for other Troopers since I enjoyed the process.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Capt_phun; 11-09-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

"Thoughts?"

You've read my mind. I'd like a set just like yours. Sounds like you nailed it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
diy , trax