StromTrooper banner

Trax Box Carry Handles and Lashing Straps

Tags
diy trax
29K views 136 replies 45 participants last post by  Fisherman 
#1 · (Edited)
I have sold out of straps. First, thanks to those who have bought a pair. Given the response I will be taking orders to run a 2nd run of straps. I will keep the order open until December 1st. $45 shipped in the US, $48 to Canada. I need to receive at least 5 orders to make it worth the time investment. Thanks! PM me your paypal email so I can send you an invoice.

Some say necessity is the mother of invention. I think it's cheapness. Not wanting to spend either $27.50 for just a carrying handle or $45.50 for a carrying handle with a sub par lashing system, I made my own. Oh yeah, those prices above are for just one handle. So really it's $55 or $91 for a pair, really? No way, I can make them myself.

I took some measurements of my Trax boxes that came on my 2012 V-strom 650. I wanted to straps to be long enough to lash a 40 Liter dry bag to the top of the boxes to carry light gear, like sleeping mats & sleeping bags. I needed them to lash to the boxes for when the wife is in the passenger seat. When shes not there, I use them for small dry bags for gear I want quick access to, like raingear.

So I found some handles, some double side adjustable quick releases, and polypropylene webbing & hit up the sewing machine once again.

As you an see, the straps are fully adjustable & can hold up to a 40 Liter bag (really they can fit any size, but my dry bags are 40 liters so I cut the tag ends.
Also, the tag ends are fully contained in the handles & box lashing points, so no tag ends flap in the breeze or melt on the exhaust.
Finally, I needed a solution to quickly adjust the straps so the tag ends do not flap when not using dry bags, but just using the straps as handles. I sewed in a thin red line (ha) so the straps always are adjusted the same way & super-tight.
Super adjustable, totally funtional, and oh yeah, a lot less than buying them on the web.
More pics at: https://picasaweb.google.com/Dan.Repella/TraxBoxStraps

Attachments

See less See more
#114 ·
Hello,
Thanks for inquiring about the Trax box handle straps.
The supplies are on there way in & I anticipate the straps will be shipping by the first week of April. If you would like to preorder a set, please PM me your paypal email address and I can send you a paypal invoice.
Thanks,
Dan

#115 ·
I have 5 sets of handle/lashing straps left. This will be the last of them till the fall time due to work. Get them while they last. PM me for an invoice.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#131 ·
I'm interested in another set

I'd be interested in another set. If you aren't interested in making more how about a link where the parts can be found?

#133 ·
Similar but not the same.

#136 ·
A small suggestion from when I did something similar in leather:
Where the handle attaches to teh end straps you can make a small "roll" and sew the ends and middle - just where the handle straps sit.
This helps when actually hoisting the bag since the strap "loops" are on a rounded/narrow section and not trying to work against the entire strap width.
Of course this assumes the center stays centered - which seems do-able since yours are adjusted on each end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.