StromTrooper banner

Trax Box Carry Handles and Lashing Straps

Tags
diy trax
29K views 136 replies 45 participants last post by  Fisherman 
#1 · (Edited)
I have sold out of straps. First, thanks to those who have bought a pair. Given the response I will be taking orders to run a 2nd run of straps. I will keep the order open until December 1st. $45 shipped in the US, $48 to Canada. I need to receive at least 5 orders to make it worth the time investment. Thanks! PM me your paypal email so I can send you an invoice.

Some say necessity is the mother of invention. I think it's cheapness. Not wanting to spend either $27.50 for just a carrying handle or $45.50 for a carrying handle with a sub par lashing system, I made my own. Oh yeah, those prices above are for just one handle. So really it's $55 or $91 for a pair, really? No way, I can make them myself.

I took some measurements of my Trax boxes that came on my 2012 V-strom 650. I wanted to straps to be long enough to lash a 40 Liter dry bag to the top of the boxes to carry light gear, like sleeping mats & sleeping bags. I needed them to lash to the boxes for when the wife is in the passenger seat. When shes not there, I use them for small dry bags for gear I want quick access to, like raingear.

So I found some handles, some double side adjustable quick releases, and polypropylene webbing & hit up the sewing machine once again.

As you an see, the straps are fully adjustable & can hold up to a 40 Liter bag (really they can fit any size, but my dry bags are 40 liters so I cut the tag ends.
Also, the tag ends are fully contained in the handles & box lashing points, so no tag ends flap in the breeze or melt on the exhaust.
Finally, I needed a solution to quickly adjust the straps so the tag ends do not flap when not using dry bags, but just using the straps as handles. I sewed in a thin red line (ha) so the straps always are adjusted the same way & super-tight.
Super adjustable, totally funtional, and oh yeah, a lot less than buying them on the web.
More pics at: https://picasaweb.google.com/Dan.Repella/TraxBoxStraps

Attachments

See less See more
#93 ·
So all the last batch of straps should have been received by those who purchased them. I am getting ready to sew up another set & have them ship out mid-June at the latest (hopefully). If you would like a set, please PM me. I sent about 5 PM's out to those who had expressed interest.
Again, thanks to all who have helped support this endeavor.

#97 ·
Thanks everyone for the interest. I am in the process of ordering in all the needed supplies, and then sewing up another bath. Sorry, it's been summer & I've been riding a lot & not much time has been devoted to handle making. But rest assured I will keep you updated on their progress. If interested PM me to get on the list for a set when they are ready, which is hopefully about 3-4 weeks from today.
thanks!

#107 ·
I sent a PM. Let me know if you got it. I also asked about straps for the matching Top Box.

#110 ·
I don't have a top box yet but plan to get one. Yes it appears that there are no tie downs. I wonder if the tie downs can be sourced anywhere? I do like the straps I received although I only used them to put the boxes on a shelf.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.