Vinyl Wrap'd Strom - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 12:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default Vinyl Wrap'd Strom

Here is a teaser shot of my Strom...

Just completed a 3m Matte Metalic Blue vinyl wrap of the stock diamon Black paint on the 5 factory pieces.

This was way more work than I expected, and the results are far from perfectc, however I am happy with the overall results and it's REALLY inexpensive compared to new paint, with the added bonus that this IS paint protection.

I may do a Zebra stripe or Neon Green in a year.. no worries..it's just Tape!

I'll get some better pics this weekend. I also added highly reflective Caribean Blue Rim tape... Gotta do what ya gotta do to try for an advantage in DC traffic.

Details are this:

I ordered the vinyl and some installation material from MetroRestyling.com.

I used the nice Felt squeegee, and my thumb. I also bought a propane torche with Piezeio lighter (instant ON) to allow me to work the vinyl. Truth be told, I did burn a hole in the vinyl on one side, and over taxed the vinyl on the other by heating it up too many times.

I bought 2 Ft of the Matte Metalic Blue and barely had enough for the bike. I'd would have liked to have more material to practice some more, so I recommend buying more if you can. At least to replace your first efforts. This stuff is forgiving, but also challenging, I have not figured it out, the compound curves on the bike are really tough to deal with. Wrapping a Car is childs play relative to this.

DSR650

Last edited by DSRider650; 10-12-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 05:25 AM
$tromtrooper

What is your seat?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-12-2012, 06:17 AM
$tromtrooper

looks very good to me

K8 Wee ABS(SOLD);

SOLD: 06 FZ1; 04 Fireblade; 02 Fireblade; 97 CBR 600
Old 10-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

I got the sample pack from 3M and there is some awesome colors. BUT, I passed on trying since it seems too difficult. The material just doesn't seem flexible enough. But if you practiced ALOT you could get pretty good at it.

Nice effort though.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

Looks like a hand guard on the seat and Parquet flooring in the garage, is that vinyl too?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Very nice! I thought about giving that a shot on mine. Or just Plasti Dipping it.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Seat is from Corbin, see the 2012 Seat thread for details.

I was able to repair my installation errors by cutting out the bad spot and putting a patch over it. Gotta get fairly close to see the repair. I don't mind - this is no beauty queen.

The flooring? yeah - not mine. I have a room rented in DC during the workweek. Nice I get to use the garage.

DSR650
Old 10-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

Wow - very interesting - would dig seeing this in person, if you get outside of DC toward Gainesville for any riding let me know!

I've covered many R/C aircraft with Monokote film covering and worked with compound curves and heat guns so you really have me thinking. I also see 3M has wood-grain vinyl wrap... how cool would it be to use some birdseye maple to make a Woodie-Wee.

http://www.metrorestyling.com/category-s/3686.htm
Old 10-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

Why not just paint them?
Old 10-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiMStang View Post
Why not just paint them?
$$$$$Cost$$$$$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
vinyl , wrap