LED Visibility Lights - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default LED Visibility Lights

I recently installed some LED visibility lights in Amber from Skene Design. You can also get them in white.

Skene Design Motorcycle Visibility Lights

They're pretty cool. I was originally going to re-use some 55w amber fog lights I took off my BMW before sale, but the 55w draw was bugging me given our limited juice, and then I discovered some cracks in the mounting flanges, and decided to nix them. I mostly wanted a daytime running light (DRL) for daytime visibility, not so much for night time road lighting.

I did some online review and searching for LED visibility lighting and these seemed the most developed.

They only draw 3.5 watts!

Not only do they emit a very noticeable amber glow that makes the front of the bike seem more noticeable to oncoming traffic, they also pulsate to create a slight strobe effect. This can be turned off and I'm still debating it, I don't like being obnoxious and am not a fan of modulation.

But when you do need to be a bit obnoxious, there is an alert feature where you tap your brakes two times within one second and the lights pulse a four flash and then slower four flash pattern to really get someone's attention, like approaching an intersection, or any turning, oncoming traffic.

You can also get them to run with your front turn signals as well.

Excuse these poor garage photos, but you get the idea. They were pretty easy to install, the wiring was the most challenging part. I mounted them on the forks where the side reflectors are mounted. Those are a 5mm hole BTW. It seems like a sturdy non-obtrusive location for them. I wired the power off the factory heated grip connector and ran a wire back to the brake light to enable the Alert feature.

Overall I'm pleased and they seem to be a great solution for what I'm looking for, to be seen and noticed at a minimum of voltage cost!

Last edited by stoked steve; 09-13-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 09:39 PM
chickenstrip

I like your set up. I was planning to mount some leds in the same location.
Nice to see it worked out.

Know your limit. Ride within it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Where did you buy the lights? Cost??
Old 09-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

They were about $150 shipped from Skene, VA to VA.

If you went with the turn signal tie in, they are $154 plus shipping.

Seems like quality stuff, MADE IN THE USA!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:06 PM
chickenstrip

150$! Ouch . Just for the front lights?
I hope they come with lifetime warranty.
Mounting lights below the suspension does funny things to electronics. I am looking for a set of white for the front or amber for the front and red for the rear.

Know your limit. Ride within it.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Look up rigid industries for more led lights--some of em look pretty nice.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default LED DRL's

Those are definitely noticeable! I went with CREE light set from Whitehorse Gear for $125 They only draw 14 watts (combined!) and are incredibly bright. I mounted mine to the crash bars with the PIAA stock bar mounts (about $35) and fashioned a small piece of aluminum flat stock off the mount to get them to sit properly. They come with a controller that turns them on after your bike is up and running. Jeff at Whitehorse says the company has been very responsive to any problems too.

Just wired it in on my Eastern Beaver fuse block and they come on automatically when the bike is running. Sorry for the crappy picture quality, but it's all I have of them at the moment. I'm going to wire the PIAA's above them to come on with the high beams. I was using the PIAA's as DRL's but they had a pretty high current draw for low RPM running and that was before heated grips and jacket.

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/My-2012-Suzuki-Vstrom-650/"]2012 Wee V2 Adventure[/URL]
[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles"]My motorcycles and Adventures[/URL]

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/2010-events/Newfoundland/"][/URL]

Last edited by Mainuh; 09-12-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 09-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default It's about safety...

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianshark74 View Post
150$! Ouch . Just for the front lights?
I hope they come with lifetime warranty.
A small price to pay for safety compared to everything else spent on the bike. I personally know 4 riders involved in the infamous "left turning driver" type accident, turning across the path of on oncoming motorcycle and saying they never saw it. 1 of the above died from his injuries, 2 were severely injured with long recover times. Here's a couple excerpts from the "Hurt report" on motorcycle accident causes:
  • In the multiple vehicle accidents, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle right-of-way and caused the accident in two-thirds of those accidents.
  • The report's additional findings show that the wearing of appropriate gear, specifically, helmets and durable garment, mitigates crash injuries substantially.
  • "The failure of motorists to detect and recognize motorcycles in traffic is the predominating cause of motorcycle accidents... Conspicuity of the motorcycle is a critical factor in the multiple vehicle accidents, and accident involvement is significantly reduced by the use of motorcycle headlamps-on In daylight and the wearing of high visibility yellow, orange or bright red jackets."
That's all I need to know and I'll gladly pay $150 for something to make me more visible. With my DRL's on I find other vehicles far less likely to pull out in front of me. But, you still need to drive as if you do not have the right of way and be prepared for the idiots!

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/My-2012-Suzuki-Vstrom-650/"]2012 Wee V2 Adventure[/URL]
[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles"]My motorcycles and Adventures[/URL]

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/2010-events/Newfoundland/"][/URL]
Old 09-12-2012, 10:43 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked steve View Post
they also pulsate to create a slight strobe effect. This can be turned off and I'm still debating it, I don't like being obnoxious and am not a fan of modulation.
It's more like a flicker than a pulse. Skene calls it "conspicuity flicker". I have the red Skenes on the back of my bike after following another rider with them last year. They definitely catch your eye, which is the whole point.

I also have a set of the amber Skenes for the front, just haven't installed them yet.

---

I'm soured on the HyperLites, had too many fail on me, but to be fair, they will be replaced at no charge if you contact HyperLites. Also of note, the HyperLite guy rides a Vstrom.

This message and images are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org
Old 09-12-2012, 10:47 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainuh View Post
Those are definitely noticeable! I went with CREE light set from Whitehorse Gear for $125 They only draw 14 watts (combined!) and are incredibly bright. I mounted mine to the crash bars with the PIAA stock bar mounts (about $35) and fashioned a small piece of aluminum flat stock off the mount to get them to sit properly. They come with a controller that turns them on after your bike is up and running. Jeff at Whitehorse says the company has been very responsive to and problems too.

Just wired it in on my Eastern Beaver fuse block and they come on automatically when the bike is running. Sorry for the crappy picture quality, but it's all I have of them at the moment. I'm going to wire the PIAA's above them to come on with the high beams. I was using the PIAA's as DRL's but they had a pretty high current draw for low RPM running and that was before heated grips and jacket.
That is a sweet set-up, about perfect IMHO.

2006 SV650 2006 DL1000 "HODOR"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.