Wobble getting worse - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

M02012Rider let us know how the new tires work. My wobble is the same as yours but from 45 to 55 mph. Sounds the same. This has been driving me crazy and my dealer here is not helpful.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just had the new tires installed. The wobble is completely gone. Steering is rock steady now. The ride seems smother too with the PR3s. I went ahead and changed the rear one out too.

I'll keep a close eye on it for any wobble returning. The inside of the old tire looked fine. The outside just seemed to have an odd wear pattern to it that I could feel by just lightly running my hands around it. I'm still not positive whether running them at 25 psi for 500 miles caused it or there was just something wrong with it from the start. My only concern now is that something other than the low psi caused the odd wear. I really can't think of anything that would of though other than maybe a defect in the rim and it looks perfectly fine.

Last edited by M02012Rider; 12-06-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

I will have to look at getting new tires then this winter. I would really like to ride a wobble free bike again. I have had this bike on and off of my lift after almost every ride trying to figure this out.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Smile comparison

Have about 7000 on my wee and have had no negative
stearing issues at all. Compared to my Norton Commando the Suzuki is on rails.
'62 Jawa
Old 12-08-2012, 06:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

My guess is that most (close to all) wobble issues with the 2012 Strom are tire related.

I had no issues with the OEM tires.

Shortly after I had replaced them with a set of PR3 I occasionally experienced a slight wobble.
It turn out that I had a leaky valve cone on the front wheel that made the tire loose pressure (down to 30 psi when I checked it).
After fixing the valve and correcting the tire pressure (36psi) the wobble was gone.

Last edited by Don_T; 12-08-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_T View Post
My guess is that most (close to all) wobble issues with the 2012 Strom are tire related.

Shortly after I had replaced them with a set of PR3 I occasionally experienced a slight wobble.
It turn out that I had a leaky valve cone on the front wheel that made the tire loose pressure (down to 30 psi when i checked it).
After fixing the valve and correcting the tire pressure (36psi) the wobble was gone.
Exact same here! Had wobble on my PR3 front tyre below 33psi. When I put it up to 35-36psi the wobble went completely.

It's relieving to hear you had similar wobble on slightly lower PR3 front tyre pressure. I was starting to worry it was something wrong with my bike.

"Riding a motorcycle is very good for your health until it suddenly isn't. It's like having a poison pill in your bottle of Tylenol. You'll run into it one day, and the relief the others gave you probably wasn't worth it at all." K'ale
Old 12-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

I had the wobble problem after installing a new Battle Wing front tire. Bad wobble at 30-35 MPH. Ran fine at higher speeds. Called where I ordered the tire and they warranted it. Replacement tire did not wobble. Acted like it had a broken belt in the first tire.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_T View Post

It turn out that I had a leaky valve cone on the front wheel that made the tire loose pressure (down to 30 psi when I checked it).
+1 on the tires and low tire pressure being a common cause of wobble on the 2012. Heavily loaded on a trip to NW Pennsylvania, a decel wobble appeared out of nowhere halfway through the trip. In the back of my mind I suspected tire pressure as I forgot to check it prior to my departure, but found no convenient place to air up, so I plowed on. Opon my arrival, I checked the tire pressures, the front was 4 pounds low and the rear 6 low. Airing them up helped but the wobble is still there today - over 1000 miles later. The damage was done.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Lab View Post
I have written about this topic; passionately. It is a new bike, with not many miles on it. When these kinds of reports come in, I STRONGLY feel that, the stem bearings have been set up too loosely.

I also STRONGLY feel that, when the stock stem bearings are in place, and the Service Manual torque settings are used to check the bearings, that this in incorrect. Again, too loose. This is why so many mechanics and dealers report to the owner, "The front end is fine." Yet, it isn't. The "wobble" is still there.

I can't help you with a proper torque setting for OEM stem bearings. I can direct you to a way to eliminate the "decel wobble"; whether you are riding on new tires, worn tires, or any brand of tire.

Steering Stem Bearing Replacement / Upgrade Black Lab Adventures

For adjusting your own stem bearings, this article may give you some insight and inspiration as to how to tackle tightening down OEM bearings.
How I Adjust The Steering Stem Bearings Black Lab Adventures

B.L.
I just adjusted mine (with the special tool as outlined in the post). The tool took longer to make then it took to adjust twice!! Ran through an adjust, ride, adjust, ride. After two rides it only wobbles ever so slightly and only if I let go at 70 mph. There was no handling problems at low speed either, in fact, it felt more stable. I attempted to mark the nut so I could report back how far I had to go... but the damn dust cover started moving too!!!

Anyhow, I think it was nearly a half turn all in all. Anyone get the balls to turn any tighter than that?

P.S. Stock tire, stock pressure. Not going to mess with it any more till I change the tire.

Last edited by Huli; 12-23-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Well it took most of the winter here in Minnesota, but I finally got a new tire on the front of mine. The wobble is gone. Hopefully it stays that way with this new tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement