Best bags/panniers - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Best bags/panniers

Opinions please?

OEM Just what does that stand for?

Cortec? Pelican?

For 2012 650 ABS (Copper)

Thanks All!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 02:29 AM
Stromthusiast!

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer.

I like my TT zegas, not too wide, top loading, frame looks good even when the panniers aren't fitted, and were cheap as all I had to pay was for the frame as I already had the boxes.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

I own a 12 adventure, so I do not need to go aftermarket. But IMHO the best bags on the market by far are the ones that Al Jesse makes over at Jesse Luggage Systems. His Odessey 2 bags are amazing. I have previously owned 2 sets on older V stroms, and they are designed so well. But for you I would have to say get the ones that you like the most and fit in your budget. I am happy with the stock Suzuki bags (TRAX), but they are not Jesse bags.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

What's your spec? "Best" = lightest, narrowest, largest volume, most crash-worthy, etc.? Everything is a compromise.

Someone doing a multi-day offroad camping trip would have a different "best" than a daily commuter, for example.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Specs are very good question!

Mostly I would be riding around town, I commute every day. I would take the occasional weekend trip but would pack very light.

Jesse luggage looks very well-made but is quite large, much larger than I would need.

I think I am looking for something hard, non-detachable, reasonably attractive, and not too large, perhaps more thin.

Thank you for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Old 08-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

SnowKarver has this set up, which I really like, seems to fit your wants...

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-20...-top-case.html

Old 08-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Haha, beat me to it.

That's pretty much what I use my setup for. The nice thing about detachable is that it gives some options - daily commuting I usually use just the top box (great for swapping my briefcase and lunch for helmet, gloves, and boots in the parking lot). Day trips I like just the panniers for camera gear, a change of clothes, extra drinks, tools, etc. And all three plus a tankbag like that pic is pretty much enough room for me to tour indefinitely (90% road including slab, 10% dirt and FSR).

I would recommend this setup for your needs.
[B][COLOR="Gray"]2012 DL650 Shiro Nakama #27[/COLOR]
[SIZE="1"][URL="http://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/79121-footsteps-lewis-clark.html"]Ride Report: In The Footsteps of Lewis & Clark[/URL][/SIZE][/B]
Old 08-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus57 View Post
Specs are very good question!

Mostly I would be riding around town, I commute every day. I would take the occasional weekend trip but would pack very light. ...
Ha-ha!! You need TWO sets of panniers! A small, narrow, light set for weaving around traffic everyday; and a capacious ADV set for trips!!

FWIW, I always thought that way but have recently installed my first-ever moto trunk (I don't like trunks - I couldn't swing my leg past one on a previous bike). I run the trunk everyday to work (briefcase, lunch box, thermos, raingear). For camping trips I add soft luggage and re-pack the trunk.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromer View Post
But IMHO the best bags on the market by far are the ones that Al Jesse makes over at Jesse Luggage Systems. His Odessey 2 bags are amazing. .
I have Jesse's and can atest to their toughness. I did about a 20mph slide on a downhill corner on loose gravel last weekend during the Northeast rally. I kept touring during the rest of the week in Vermont and the side case held up, just needed a racket strap to secure it to the rack. Got home 2 days ago and with some blocks of wood and C clamps got the side case back to original shape, straighten the rack a bit and except for some scratches on the bottom it looks as good as new. I figured I hide some of the scratches with decals and no one would ever know. I don't think many side cases would have survived that drop, so I guess you get what you pay for and after this weeks trip it's Jesse's or nothing.

Last edited by stromdog; 08-11-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:17 PM
$tromtrooper

Here's a picture of my Givi Trekkers...removable luggage and racks.........TD
N1ATF
Spot 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement