Bestem 929 top case on 2012 vstrom adventure - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Bestem 929 top case on 2012 vstrom adventure

Because of the shortage of Suzuki top box, and since I only want to use the (huge) Suzuki side cases for long trips, I bought from Amazon the cheap Bestem 929 top box that comes with all the hardware to mount it on the bike.

I couldn't find any instructions that were specific to the adventure model (adventure model comes with an OEM plate installed) but after some fiddling I was able to install the Bestem.

The good news:
  • No drilling or shortening of the bolts is required like it seems to be the case with the non adventure model (although I had to slightly enlarge one hole of the Bestem plate so it would align with the OEM plate).
  • This setup doesn't interfere with the adventure side cases and mount
  • This setup doesn't interfere with the seat.

I used some foam sheets (found at the craft department) to prevent metal on metal contact and insulation tape to achieve a snug fit when the case is attached. I only used one of the 2 bars that were provided.

The case itself is ok: it's big, not too ugly and the mount seems to be reasonably sturdy. But the lock is kind of flimsy and the finish is on the cheap side.

I thought that some pictures might help others with the same configuration.

P7290004 by skadm, on Flickr

From top to bottom (picture below):
  • Bestem plate
  • Foam sheet
  • OEM plate
  • OEM spacers
  • vstrom rack

P7290009 by skadm, on Flickr

P7290008 by skadm, on Flickr

P7290002 by skadm, on Flickr

P7290003 by skadm, on Flickr

P7290001 by skadm, on Flickr
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Nice write up and pics.

Your description and assessment of the box are spot on, IME.

I can tell you that you have to shorten the bolts to put the Bestem case directly on the stock (plastic) rack.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-29-2012, 04:12 PM
$tromtrooper

I have a Bestem T-929 also and had to shorten the bolts and (the way I did it anyway) also cut off the supplied brackets at an angle to get it to seat on the stock luggage rack. But, it's on, it's stable, it's capacious and was way cheaper than any other top case option I could find... And it shipped immediately, when I got my Glee the Givi cases were on 4+ weeks backorder and I just couldn't wait that long!

Here's my T-929 in action, as I tested its capacity for a 4-day road trip I'm beginning tomorrow.

(1) I needed it to fit my duffel bag of clothes, etc., in the trunk with my sneakers placed on top. I packed my duffel bag a bit loose to have "squish room" for the sneakers, and the trunk lid shuts easily.

(2) While parked, I plan to put my riding gear in the trunk. If I'm sightseeing or something I'll lock the duffel bag with a thread lock while putting it on my seat, if I'm off the bike for the night I'll take the duffel bag with me.

Here's a 4-pic montage of the T-929 with first my Joe Rocket Super Street boots, then my FirstGear Mesh-Tex Overpants, then my FirstGear mesh jacket. It all squishes down to close the lid. I have to wiggle it a bit to open it up again but I rehearsed it 2-3 times so I don't think it's something that will get stuck on me unexpectedly.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

A nice looking set up, practical and functional and affordable,

Thanks for the great pictures, they help make a good thread into a great one!

If we didn't have the ADV plate, I guess we'd have to get one or have another mounting plate?
Old 07-29-2012, 05:28 PM
$tromtrooper

I have 3 Bestems on my '08 wee, and the wife has three on her '12 Glee. We found that using an extra thick mouse pad on the top case helps lessen the shaking as well,
FB MEMBER #133 - 2008 Wee
Old 07-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I have the OE Suzuki box and the noise it makes is hard to take. It picks up the engine vibes at 4700 and becomes a big speaker. It have glued sound deadening foam inside and it helped but it is still loud.
Have you put a helmet in this one? That was me main reason for a top case.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD! I have been looking for a non-OEM top case to go with my 2012 dl650a adventure's rack. Can you fit a helmet in there?
Old 07-29-2012, 07:13 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasterman View Post
I have the OE Suzuki box and the noise it makes is hard to take. It picks up the engine vibes at 4700 and becomes a big speaker. It have glued sound deadening foam inside and it helped but it is still loud.
Have you put a helmet in this one? That was me main reason for a top case.
Yes, it fits a full face helmet and my riding pants. In cooler weather I wear the jacket off the bike and the boots under my jeans/pants while locking the helmet and pants in the top case. It's only in summer weather that I do the full change into sneakers because I'm not happy clomping around in shorts and riding boots.

I think it may even fit 2 FF helmets depending on the model and how you lay them out.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked steve View Post
If we didn't have the ADV plate, I guess we'd have to get one or have another mounting plate?
Apparently, you don't need another mounting plate. The one that comes with the Bestem is enough, but you would have to use shorter bolts (or cut the ones provided) and maybe have to drill some holes in the Bestem plate and then put all together on the (non adventure) 2012 vstrom plastic rack. More about that from NoMoreDRZ: http://www.stromtrooper.com/826530-post34.html

Last edited by nster; 07-29-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:38 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
Yes, it fits a full face helmet and my riding pants.
I went out to check on my chain before my trip tomorrow (see my other thread asking for newbie help!) - took this pic for you guys of my Arai in there with my pants next to it, easy peasy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2012 v-strom , adventure , bestem