Versys or 2012 Wee? - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 12:05 PM
$tromtrooper

I use my bike for two things: touring (highway and backroads, but not dirt) and in-city commuting.

I looked into the Versys and 2012 DL650 in January, and was able to go back and forth to sit on them both (but not ride them) back and forth on them. The smaller front wheel of the Versys seemed a good thing for city traffic riding, but the single biggest factor in what sold me on the DL650 was the ABS. If the Versys had ABS I might have gone for it. But exactly because I don't plan on going off-road except in case of an emergency, I wanted ABS brakes.

In addition, the luggage space is greater on the DL650. Ideally I wanted a large top case on the rear rack while still having room for duffel bags and whatnot on the pillion (not a fan of side cases since I scraped one off against a truck in a tight traffic jam maneuver). And there is literally no rear rack on the Versys.

It doesn't hurt that looks-wise, I liked the "Glee" better too - it would be annoying that the orange color is the only one available without going for the Adventure model (with the side panniers and crash bars I didn't want), except that that would be my #1 choice of color anyway, unless they had blue.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

My experience, having ridden them both.....the Versys, in stock form, is sharper handling on the street, if you really like to push it hard in the twistys.

The Wee is overall, seating, legroom, and wind protection, quite a bit better than the Versys.

The Wee engine is more refined, and not buzzy like the Versys.

If I was looking for a bike to do some track daze, mostly shorter rides, and just for fun, I would consider the Versys.

If I wanted a bike for all round comfort, amenities, and some touring, the Wee would be my choice.

I have upgraded the suspension in my Wee, where it will easily out-handle a Versys, and has day after day comfort, so to me, it's the perfect balance.

I could not upgrade/mod the Versys in a way to give me the same level of comfort and amenities as the Wee, for any price.

This has been discussed SO many times around here and other forums, might wanna do a search while you're at it. While I agree with others, who suggest riding each,
I also know for fact, that a "test ride" is short, and will not give you a true indication as to what a bike will be like after a 4-8hr ride......for me, this was huge.

FYI - I ride 100% street, somewhat spirited, so my opinions are based from that perspective, no off-road, almost no 2-up.

Lastly, FWIW, no ABS braking on Versys......if you ever had a chance to use it, it's a real game changer, I'm sold on it's merits for the street.

Last edited by CHIA; 07-07-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I recently traded an 09 Versys in on a 12 wee adventure. The Versys is a great bike, especially the motor. But the vstrom is so much smoother, both the motor and ride of the bike is like electric motor smooth over the kawi. The vstrom really smooths out those rough roads, and I ride ALOT of gravel.

The vstrom does not feel like it is as quick as the Versys to me, but then again, it is so smooth compared to the kawi, I caught myself running a lot faster than I should've been several times. The little v-twin revs so effortlessly it's hard for me to ride it by ear. Rolling through the gears, it just didn't feel like I was revving it at all until I'd look at the tach or speedo. 70mph gps is just cruising.

I mainly traded for 2 up comfort, and yes the ol' lady is very happy!
Old 07-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewee View Post
The vstrom does not feel like it is as quick as the Versys to me, but then again, it is so smooth compared to the kawi,

Funny a lot of people say that, I have never ridden a Versys so I don't know. Motorcycle Consumer News (one of my favorite rags) tested both 2012 models back to back and in fact the V-Strom is faster 0-60 Versys 4.17 sec vs. 3.98 for the Strom, 1/4 mile e.t. 12.66 for the Versys vs. 12.45 for the Strom. The Strom also has more hp and torque. Maybe the Strom is just sneaky fast. The did say the Versys is lighter, handles better in the twisty canyon roads and that the excellent mid range power and sharp throttle response, make it feel faster than it's sister the Ninja 650, even though it isn't. Both are great bikes they noted and it all depends on what you want to do with it. The Strom is better on bad roads, gravel, etc.., and long distance comfortable, but we all know that right? I am consistently getting 5 mpg better than my old Wee, despite what they say (hmm maybe they got some bad gas) but anyway, read both model evaluations for yourself. Very good reading IMO!

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval.asp

L2 DL650A The Orange Machine
K7 DL650 Hi Yo Silver R.I.P!

Last edited by khager; 07-07-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnor View Post
My 09 Versys insurance is 200 year, but the 012 my wife had was 400 per year....
Shazam! Markell quoted me $600/year for the Versys and $200/yr for the 2012 Wee, full coverage. Either I stole some insurance or I need to look at my paperwork again...
Old 07-08-2012, 01:19 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

In-line motors buzzes my right hand to sleep. Versys buzzes my right hand to sleep. I hate sleepy numb hands. Therefore I hate all in-line motors.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:55 AM
not very quiet

Looks like a wrap. Thanks guys. Most useful was the input from Versys owners. The effect I'm trying to regain is where the bike and rider are one; where I think myself down the road without the distraction of discomfort, noise and vibration. There is a peace and joy in that sort of ride. I have considered many alternatives, but none are jumping up and saying "buy me instead". Now I need my Connie to sell before I can sign the bottom line.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietMike View Post
Looks like a wrap. Thanks guys. Most useful was the input from Versys owners. The effect I'm trying to regain is where the bike and rider are one; where I think myself down the road without the distraction of discomfort, noise and vibration. There is a peace and joy in that sort of ride. I have considered many alternatives, but none are jumping up and saying "buy me instead". Now I need my Connie to sell before I can sign the bottom line.
Congrats!

I'm sure you'll love it!
Old 07-09-2012, 04:12 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

well ive just swapped from a versys to a new wee.. i had a second hand versys then bought a new one .. i loved the versys ..my wife hated it , said it was the worst bike she,s ever been on, being sat up high getting hit by all the wind that comes over the rider & also bad vibrations through the footpegs... i also found vibration to be a problem. the versys is not as smooth as the v strom engine , but i do think the engine in the versys is stronger. in all the time i had my versys & talking to other owners not one said they had ,had any problems with the engine & when taking mine in for a service was told by the dealer they have never heard of a single engine being any problem ... i also think the versys is made to a better quality than the v strom. suzuki say they have made the new strom of better stuff but looking round the bike it dosent show.. the v strom is definetly the most comfortable of the two bikes , i found the versys quite a hard ride feeling every bump in the road were as the v strom just glides over them ..the brakes are about the same. not great but do the job.. the versys is good on fuel as well but the v strom is just that bit better .. they both handle about the same as well .the dash on the v strom is brilliant with lots of things to play with were as the versys clocks do look very dated ...so is the v strom the better bike ...yes...with both bikes being about the same price and owning both i would go for the v strom , just because of the v stroms is a lovely comfortable bike to ride . but would spend more time cleaning it with its poor finish .....hope this helps ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement