16 Tooth Countershaft fixes Speedometer! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Default 16 Tooth Countershaft fixes Speedometer!

With the good midrange torque of the '12 Wee I though I might like a 16 tooth countershaft sprocket ( stock is 15t ). Around here I have to cruise at 70 mph and higher to keep from getting run over from behind and even out on the backroads it seemed the engine was a bit busy at 60-65 mph.

The new generation Wee has the speed sensor fixed to the countershaft like the Vee does. So, any changes in sprockets changes the speedometer reading at a given speed. Well, the 16 tooth is absolutely perfect in that respect! Riding with the GPS the speedometer is either EXACTLY what the GPS reads or sometimes 1 mph higher. I consider that about as good as it gets. I'll have to see how close the odometer is, but I would much prefer the speedometer accurate even if the odometer is slightly off.

At 70mph the tachometer is right at 5,025-5,050 rpm. The engine seems a lot more relaxed at even 60 mph and it still has plenty of roll-on power in 6th gear. Taking off in first gear is not much different, I was worried I might give up some there but not enough to matter. Gears actually seem better as there seems to be more "difference" between 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, etc. I didn't do this for fuel mileage or to make the bike last longer, just for more comfort.

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com
Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry info@werksparts.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

Where did you source the countershaft sprocket? What brand?
Old 06-30-2012, 11:34 AM

I stopped by one of the local Cycle Gear stores. I think it was a Vortex brand or something like that. Part # 2910-16. The #2910 is what fits the bikes like the DL 650, GSXR 600, SV 650, etc. so they are easy to find about anywhere. GSXR's use the 16 tooth stock I think so that means everyone stocks them.

The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com
Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry info@werksparts.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

We live in an amazing time. Thousands of songs and photos can be stored on a chip the size of your pinky nail. Our cell phones will answer any question we ask of them. Cars can now parallel park themselves. So Suzuki finally came out with a new 2012 'strom and still can't get the speedometer right?
Old 06-30-2012, 12:22 PM

The speedometer would always read several mph faster than actual speed in normal traffic conditions.

Don't ask what the difference at around 100 mph on the GPS read on the speedometer..........allegedly and on a closed course with professional rider, etc.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sounds about the same as my 2005. It always reads 10% high. An indicated 55mph is really 50, and 110 is really 100. Is it about the same with the 2012?
Old 06-30-2012, 12:38 PM
$tromtrooper

Thanks, RS. This is what I was talking about in my "bike seems tight" thread from yesterday. So you too notice a diff from the earlier bike, yes?

This message and images are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org
Old 06-30-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcgee View Post
Thanks, RS. This is what I was talking about in my "bike seems tight" thread from yesterday. So you too notice a diff from the earlier bike, yes?
Our '04 has the pipe drilled out and the extra noise from the cam/clutch area made that bike seem about as happy at 6000 rpm as 5000. Noises were about the same. But the new Wee II is much quieter and when running over 5000 rpm seemed "busy". Probably because the noise seemed to increase? Maybe that is what you mean by tight.
I am sure it would run at 5500 rpms for days on end, I just wondered if the 16 tooth sprocket would make it feel better and it did.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:02 PM
$tromtrooper

I don't think it's the noise diff, though they are different. Will give the gixxer sprocket a try. Cheap experiment.

This message and images are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org
Old 06-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

Is the chain long enough so you don't have to add a link? This would shorten up the wheelbase a bit too. How about a Sunstar part number? I found it, it's 40416 for $22 bucks. I'm gunna go get one.

I will try this here pretty soon too. Hell, I may just run to Bob's Cycle supply this afternoon and get one! I assume the cs sprocket is put on with that nasty orange loctite Suzuki uses??

Last edited by D.T.; 06-30-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
countersprocket , speedometer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.