16 Tooth Countershaft fixes Speedometer! - Page 10 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 05:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default I will go to 16T during the winter.

I had a Versys from 2007-2009 and did 70.000km on the bike.
When I replaced the chain and sprockets at 54.000km I changede the countersprocket from 15 to 16T after reading positiv feedback from other Versys riders who had done the same.

I was very happy with the result - it made for a smoother ride, the speedo was spot on and I didn't notice any perceptible loss in acceleration performance.

I'll do the same on my Strom during the winter when it's hibernating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 05:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
Odometer is 2.6% low with the 16t countershaft sprocket.

It was close to that much high with the 15t.
Yes, you are right! My fuel economy reading is high, meaning that it would go down, so the variance would be the same but in the minus. Thanks for clarifying that
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-27-2012, 07:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default 16 tooth seemed perfect to me too!

Although it did nothing to improve my speedometer accuracy, I also found the 16 tooth sprocket to be a big improvement on my '05. I bought a like-new GSXR sprocket on Ebay for $18, which allowed me to keep the rubber cushioning built into the sprocket like the factory original. I was able to keep the same chain, just moved the wheel forward with the adjusters.

I ride 95%+ pavement, and the bike seems totally happy at 75 mph. I'd say this sprocket change was the cheapest and fastest improvement I've made to the Wee so far.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

Question Torque setting for front sprocket?

My Strom is put away for the winter, and it's time for maintenance and modifications.

Among other things I've ordered a 16T front sprocket.
What is the torque setting (Nm) when installing the sprocket?

Regards
Tonny
Old 11-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Moderator++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_T View Post
Among other things I've ordered a 16T front sprocket.
What is the torque setting (Nm) when installing the sprocket?
The service manual says 145Nm or 105lb-ft. It's another case of what I consider excessive torque. The DL1000 specifies 115Nm or 83lb-ft for the same nut with the same part number on a bigger engine without a locking washer. I would recommend using 115Nm or 83lb-ft on the sprocket nut on all models. The book also specifies high strength thread lock cement Super 1303 or the equivalent red Loctite. I have mixed feelings on that.

Last edited by greywolf; 11-21-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

Smile Thanks greywolf - that was a good and quick answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
The service manual says 145Nm or 105lb-ft. It's another case of what I consider excessive torque. The DL1000 specifies 115Nm or 83lb-ft for the same nut with the same part number on a bigger engine without a locking washer. I would recommend using 115Nm or 83lb-ft on the sprocket nut on all models. The book also specifies high strength thread lock cement Super 1303 or the equivalent red Loctite. I have mixed feelings on that.
I agree that 145Nm sounds excessive

I'll go for 115Nm and use red Loctite - maybe it's not necessary, but using it has never caused me any problems.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Stromthusiast!

I went back to the 15T for the more offroad S705 tires.

Do you really think you need red locktite of death with the lockwasher too?? I didn't use red LT, greased the threads and folded over the lock washer.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Do you really think you need red locktite of death with the lockwasher too?? I didn't use red LT, greased the threads and folded over the lock washer.
Probably not, but I have it on the shelf and this way I'm 100% certain that the nut stay in place until I touch it again.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:26 PM
$tromtrooper

Default 2012 Glee clearance for countershaft sproket removal

Are you riders with 2012 Glees finding enough clearance around the clutch mechanism to remove the stock sproket with the chain on it? Intending to install a 16-tooth sproket, I could not wiggle my stock sproket off for what appeared to be lack of clearance, so I bolted things back together. Maybe I just did not put enough slack in the chain, or wasn't holding my face quite right. The fit will be even tighter with the 16-tooth. Any tricks out there?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snick View Post
Are you riders with 2012 Glees finding enough clearance around the clutch mechanism to remove the stock sproket with the chain on it? Intending to install a 16-tooth sproket, I could not wiggle my stock sproket off for what appeared to be lack of clearance, so I bolted things back together. Maybe I just did not put enough slack in the chain, or wasn't holding my face quite right. The fit will be even tighter with the 16-tooth. Any tricks out there?
I gave the chain all the slack possible and just barely got the 15 tooth off and the 16 on. Much wiggling and yes, my face was all scrunched up. Getting the hex head and the 32mm loose with heat and a breaker bar was a no go, but borrowed electric impact driver made it easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
countersprocket , speedometer