tank bag - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 07:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default tank bag

I've never owned a tank bag and want to get one for my 2012 vstrom 650. I would appreciate any advice / widom / experience you are willing to share. TIA for any assistance you provide.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 08:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmarkham View Post
I've never owned a tank bag and want to get one for my 2012 vstrom 650. I would appreciate any advice / widom / experience you are willing to share. TIA for any assistance you provide.
I leave the wisdom to others but can recommend the Givi T480 tanklock bag. It fits well on the 2012 wee, does not obstruct view or movement and goes on and off in a matter of seconds.
Dan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

Here's a pic of my tank bag.
It's the Wolfman Explorer Lite. It fits nicely and doesn't get in the way of anything.
It has the one pocket on the bag, and the top expands to increase the height of the bag a couple more inches if necessary. Some people like bigger bags, some like smaller bags. It just depends on what you want to carry in it.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromann View Post
I leave the wisdom to others but can recommend the Givi T480 tanklock bag. It fits well on the 2012 wee, does not obstruct view or movement and goes on and off in a matter of seconds.
Dan
A few times I hear of the Givi tanklock. Most vendors don't include 2012 in their drop list for the piece that locks to the gas tank. Do you know if the 2011 fits the 2012 ?

Tks

Rob
Old 06-28-2012, 12:23 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-strom View Post
A few times I hear of the Givi tanklock. Most vendors don't include 2012 in their drop list for the piece that locks to the gas tank. Do you know if the 2011 fits the 2012 ?

Tks

Rob
The 2011 uses mounting kit # BF10 whereas the 2012 requires # BF01. There is a compatibility chart (pdf file) on Givi's website where you can find these details - GIVI T480 TANKLOCK - Soft Luggages

Dan
Old 06-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have a Givi tanlock bag as well. No unsightly straps left on the bike when the bag is off, no straps to wear away paint etc when some muck gets between the straps and the frame or whatever the bag is tied to. Very easy to get on and off too.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:20 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default City Bag by SW-Motech

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmarkham View Post
I use a "City Bag" by SW-Motech, available at Twisted Throttle. I've had the same bag on my last 2 bikes. It's expandable and comes with a rain cover and a strap if you wanted to put it over your shoulder. It expands up 1.5-2". It attaches to the bike by a ring that mounts on your gas tank ring (see pics). It is quick and secure and goes on and off in seconds. But the best part IMHO is that it doesn't touch the bike. I've had many friends with bags that mount on the surface who have had the bag or the straps rub their pain off (a couple to bare metal).

They make several models besides the city bag that all attach with the quick release ring. The City bag is one of the larger ones. Shown below not expanded. Like all the SW-Motech stuff I've purchased, installation was easy, directions were clear and came with everything I needed. Not the cheapest option out there, but it works well for me!

Here's the ring that's mounted over your gas tank ring.

Here's the underside of the bag with the new and improved lock/release mechanism.

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/My-2012-Suzuki-Vstrom-650/"]2012 Wee V2 Adventure[/URL]
[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles"]My motorcycles and Adventures[/URL]

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/2010-events/Newfoundland/"][/URL]
Old 06-28-2012, 07:31 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I'm using the Giant Loop Moto Diablo tank bag. It's a strap-type bag, pretty roomy for its (small) size. Using the supplied seam sealer makes it somewhere between water resistant and water proof.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Adventure Motostuff has the Givi bag and BF01 tank ring.

"There's a race of men that don't fit in,
A race that can't stand still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
And they roam the world at will."...Robert Service
Old 06-28-2012, 09:50 PM
$tromtrooper

I use the daypack II on mine from bags connection.
It is expandable, has a waterproof cover, attachable atlas holder and is reinforced to keep it's shape.
It uses a tank ring so no scratching the bike and can also be locked to the bike for security.
Easy removal for refuelling as well.
I am very happy with it, and it's not bulky.
I carry alot in there eg wallet, gps case, tissues, cat crap and cloth, remote for garage door, keys for panniers etc, sunnies case, instant camera and haven't had to expand it yet so it can take quite alot.
Install takes about 10 minutes.

Hope this helps

side view

top view

base plate

tank ring

map holder (removable)

side view of who it looks with the all the bike in view
Sponsored Links
Advertisement