soft bag racks on Ebay for 2012 vstrom, advice needed - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default soft bag racks on Ebay for 2012 vstrom, advice needed

New to the Forum, thanks for your help in advance. Me and another friend will be putting on Nelson Rigg CL-850 bags, or something of the sort on our 2012 Wees. I saw these pop up on Ebay. Has anyone tried them out yet, and what other options are there for soft bag racks? I can only seem to find full pannier racks, which is overkill for my application. http://www.stromtrooper.com/images/m..._confused2.gif
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 small.jpg (10.6 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 2 small.jpg (12.1 KB, 128 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 01:51 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

First, welcome to the forum, from another relative newbie!

Second: I ordered the earlier version of these racks several months ago, only to find that they wouldn't fit the 2012. I was pretty bummed about that, since they were well constructed and thoughtfully designed. I returned them with feedback, my money was promptly refunded, and the seller told me he'd start working on a version for the '12s. I wound up purchasing a left-side only offset from Dan Vesel that works well. That said, I'd order the luggage guards posted on eBay without hesitation, if you like how they look.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Maybe something like this? SW-Motech Bags-Connection Blaze Saddlebags | MC Tested - Motorcyclist Magazine
Old 06-24-2012, 08:43 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by leestrom650 View Post
New to the Forum, thanks for your help in advance. Me and another friend will be putting on Nelson Rigg CL-850 bags, or something of the sort on our 2012 Wees. I saw these pop up on Ebay. Has anyone tried them out yet, and what other options are there for soft bag racks? I can only seem to find full pannier racks, which is overkill for my application. http://www.stromtrooper.com/images/m..._confused2.gif

I have a set of Nelson rigg CL-850 bags on my 2012 Wee. The photos that you have are my bike with the racks that were made by Precision Motorcycle Racks in San Diego. I loaned them my bike for a week or so and they used it as a test mule for the design of the racks that hold bags like the CL-850s.

The racks are superb in design and fit and are specific to the 2012 Wee. The bike looks great with the bags on or off. The cost of the bags was aroung $139 from Amazon.

The bags are high quality and have great capacity. I kind of like the soft bags because of the cost, look and flexibility. Granted, they do not offer the highest security but they will keep your stuff secured on the ride and will keep the honest people honest when you are stopped.

PMR also took the rest of the measurements for a box mounting plate, back rest and tube rack which I believe are currently in production.

The folks at PMR are first class and great to work with. They can be reached at 619-674-4467.

Last edited by rideronthestrom; 06-26-2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Adding Photos
Old 06-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

With the addition of the Dan Vesel luggage guard mentioned above, I mounted my CL-850 bags with no racks at all. The shield on the exhaust pipe supports the bags on the right just fine. I was kind of surprised by this, since I had used racks on my earlier bikes.

I really like my CL-850 bags and they are sturdy and hold a lot of gear.

2012 Suzuki DL650A
Three road, two mountain and one folding bicycle
Old 06-27-2012, 12:25 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamessveta View Post
This looks like a great system, quite keen on it. I've had a look on twistedthrottle and unfortunately it appears that the set up is not yet available for v-stroms. Will have an eye on further developments.

Dan
Old 06-27-2012, 12:35 AM
$tromtrooper

I had the PMR racks on my DR. Very sturdy stuff and Lee mounted 'em up for me when I went to his place to pick them up. His former business partner does racks and accessories for other bikes since they agreed not to compete.

I've had the Nomadic racks on my WR450 & 250. Same build quality and great customer service. Hard to beat for the price.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Sounds good, looks like the CL-850s are the way to go for soft bags in the $120 price range. The ebay racks look like they will work fine with them
Old 07-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

I did go ahead and get a set of these racks from Precision Motorcycle Racks on eBay.

They fit well, but I did need to make a trip to Lowe's to mount them up. The mounting hardware is apparently not included. The problem is you cannot mount them with the passenger footpegs in place using the original footpeg mounting bolts. You can use the original bolt on the front of the left hand passenger footpeg. Otherwise you will need to find three M8 1.25x70 bolts to reach far enough through the rack brackets to mount them onto the footpegs.

There were also no instructions so I had to study the eBay photos to figure out how to mount them. The one included nut/bolt is to bolt the bottom bracket of the right rack to the bottom of the right passenger footpeg.

Again, they look good, but I cannot really say that the Nelson-Rigg CL-850 bags hang any better off the racks than they did with my original Dan Vesel luggage/tool tube guard on the left and off the muffler shield on the right. That is also the tool tube that I used to carry my toolkit, so I will probably figure out a way to mount that tube on the rack.

2012 Suzuki DL650A
Three road, two mountain and one folding bicycle

Last edited by MillCreek; 07-17-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default DL650 '12 racks

After reading this thread, I went to check out the racks for my DL650 '12 on ebay. I found Precision Motorcycle Racks as ebay seller "losi3030". Before i bought them i decided to look into whether they had a non-ebay website to buy from (ebay sketches me out for some reason). And as i expected, I found one. www.pmracks.com seems to be the same company. the link for the DL650 '12 side racks is here. I just bought some and hopefully I get them by next week, i am really itching to test them out.
I will post an update once they show up and i get them installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement