Lowering the Strom - Page 5 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 07:12 AM
$tromtrooper

I actually made my own lowering links out of 1/4" thick steel bar stock. I didn't have the time to make the fancy "dogbone" shape so they're just straight on the sides, but functional:

I went with 150mm spacing on the holes to give me slightly over 1" drop. Then I lowered the front by 3/4". So far after a few hundred miles of local riding, it handles great!

I may make some new links out of 6061 aluminum or the like, if the steel ones start rusting badly.

Love the way this bike handles.

Deano
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 08:10 AM
$tromtrooper

I forgot to mention that I also notched the sidestand to make it swing a little farther forward, effectively shortening it a bit and allowing the bike to lean further. This also reduces the tendency for the bike to roll off the stand if you park on a slight downhill.

I notched the sidestand instead of the stop, because it's easier to replace or fix than the stop...if I ever decide to go back.

Deano
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
29/30 inch inseam the bike doesnt need to be lowered.
It needs to be lowered if the rider does not feel confident at the stock height, no matter what the inseam. BTW, what do u base this hard and fast rule on? Personally, I don't know why Suzuki has the Glee with so much ride height when they know 90% will never see a spec of dirt. I'd like to lower mine as well but I'm a firm believer in keeping the factory height unless there are mitigating circumstances justifying lowering the bike. Handling will be compromised somewhat whenever the height is changed. If I had 2" shorter legs, I would definitely want the bike lowered. I have a Russell seat and that made it more difficult for me to paddle the bike around and I have a 32" inseam. But not enough to change the ride height. I agree that the Glee ride height looks good with the longer travel suspension. Try a KTM Adventure for a scenic view.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Lowered my 2012 650 ABS

I made a post last year about this, and am just following up.
Mods to date:
1) Lowered front end 1 inch (by raising fork tubes)
2) Lowered rear end 1 inch (by using Soupy's Perf. adjustable dogbones)
3) Installed adjustable aluminum kickstand from Soupy's
4) Installed Factory Suzukit "low" seat
5) Using the cheap Tusk handlebar risers (I think they are 20mm versions).
6) Installed a Hepco-Becker center stand that I had modified by having about 7/8 inch cut off the bottom. I works, but it is still a challenge for me to get the bike hoisted up on the stand. (I may have ruined the geometry of the stand !!). I am going to try to raise the stand another .25 inch by re-drilling the mounting bolt-holes, or possibly by having slots milled into the current holes to allow a range of adjustment of perhaps about .375 inch.

My inseam: about 29.5 inches, and I am 5'8" in height, about 154 lbs.
Overall impression thus far: I can place my feet FLAT on the pavement IF I have thick soled boots on. Handling, IMHO, is not significantly affected for my riding style (fairly conservative, sedate paved road-riding, and NO offroad activity. I am 60 yrs. old, so have not "pushed" the envelope). The low seat is NOT as comfortable as the stock one for me, and I may try reinstalling and putting the low seat on eBay. I ALSO plan to
1) Install an extended brake line (already purchased)
2) Install extended electrical handlebar wiring harnesses for BOTH sides
3) Install yet more set-back for the handlebar using the 2" rotating Rox risers.

I plan to make a video of all of this and put in on Youtube hopefully sometime in May-June of 2013.

I love the bike, but also am keen on the new 2014 Honda 700 with the 28 inch seat height, designed just for guys like me. If that Honda would have been in the showroom last summer, I would have most likely bought it instead of the V-strom (no diss, intended, simply reality for me).
Old 06-29-2014, 05:08 AM
$tromtrooper

Default removing padding

Greetings strommer guys, has anyone tried removing seat padding to lower rider insem?
Old 08-11-2014, 10:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

Just installed a Corbin "low" seat which is comfortable but the width of the seat has me back on "tippy toes" again. 63 years old with 30" inseam. Would these kits remedy my situation? The older I get the shorter I get and the bikes all seem to get taller! First bike was a 1956 Triumph Trophy, it appears that the new Triumphs are still good for inseam challenged individuals.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilby View Post
Just installed a Corbin "low" seat which is comfortable but the width of the seat has me back on "tippy toes" again. 63 years old with 30" inseam. Would these kits remedy my situation? The older I get the shorter I get and the bikes all seem to get taller! First bike was a 1956 Triumph Trophy, it appears that the new Triumphs are still good for inseam challenged individuals.
Certainly the 1 1/4" rear lowering links and pushing the form tubes up has made my 2012 650 so much easier around town and when stopping on shopping road sides for my ?31" inseam.
The stock seat needs help on day long rides - so I use an air seat pad on those occasional times - and put up with the extra height issue then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement