2012 centerStand advice? .... - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Question 2012 centerStand advice? ....

I have read all the posts about center stands for the 2012 and remained totally confused.

Firstly, I plan to ride my Strom off road quite a bit and I am not a peg dragger on the tarmac. So for me, Ground Clearance is much more important than cornering clearance.

This is what I know about what's out there:

Suzuki -- $328
Hepco Beker -- $265
SW-Motech -- $180
Happy Trails --$150
vStoma -- $140 (out of stock)
Murph's -- $120

Out of all of these, it seems the Suzuki and the SW motec are the only ones that have been redesigned to fit the 2012. So it seems that all the others will fit, but will assume that the bike has a rubber stop to cushion it when the stand flips up. Thus all the others will bang on metal parts under the bike unless you somehow jerry rig a rubber stopper. Correct?

Suzuki -- it seems to be good quality, but is outrageously priced. I prefer not to pay this much. Does not reduce Ground Clearance (GC), but does reduce Cornering Clearance (CC). Correct?

Hepco Beker -- Don't know much about this one, can't tell if it's designed to fit the 2012. I'd prefer not to spend this much. If I did, I'd like to have substantial reasons as to why?

SW Motec -- Designed to fit the 2012. It seems to be what most are using. Easy install. Decent Price. High Quality. Significantly reduces GC. Correct? If so, by how much?

Happy Trails -- Good price. Some are put off buy the Piece of Sh#t (including myself) disclaimer in the install instructions "Don't sit on the bike, don't roll off the center stand, this stand is fragile..." Is it of good quality? Does it effect GC? CC? How does it work on a 2012?

vStroma -- Appears to be a Suzuki stand Chinese clone. Out of stock. Quality?

Murphs -- Good value. Another Suzuki stand Chinese clone.People have been receiving it w/o all the parts or rusted parts. It seems to be good enough quality if you can get one with all the parts in good condition. How hard is it to deal with the no rubber stopper issue? Other than the other complaints, is it a decent stand?

I'd like to make a Murphs or Happy Trail priced stand work as it would fit my budget and I'd get a reliable stand that will last a long time support the bike. If not, I could stomach the $180 for a SW motech, but I don't want to give up GC.

Finally, don't some stands have trouble with some skid plates? If so, what skip plate/centerstand combo's present a problem?

Any advice or additional insight would be appreciated.

thanks
Santiago, Chile to Ushuia Argentina and up to Cusco, Peru (7 months)
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months)
Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)[/SIZE]

Last edited by glasswave; 05-29-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Moderator++

See the clearance differences between '04-'11 OEM and SW-M stands at SW-MOTECH Centerstand (Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, '04-'11) - HPS.05.257.100 : TwistedThrottle.com

The numbers for the later SW-M release should be applicable to the 2012 models as only the stop has changed.

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

With the OEM the left lean is affected, but unless you are at the track, I doubt you will notice.

The left curb feeler is increased by about an inch bigger when the OEM center stand is installed (see pics):

Right feeler:

Left Feeler:

And here are a few pics of the stand from different angles:

Old 05-28-2012, 11:06 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I have Murph's stand and I think it is an acceptable choice. It is very easy to get the bike up on the stand and it is rigid, fits well and is easy to install. The welds are not a thing of beauty but once installed this does not seem a large issue. I have yet to resolve the no bumper issue when mounted on a 2012. I hear some other riders have. I would welcome photos of their fixes. Clearance would be similar to the Suzuki part number. Murph is waiting on a mfr. fix for 2012 installs.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

I moved the Vstroma stand from my K6 to my L2 and made up a stop.

It's an improved copy of the zuk stand anyway (slightly better clearance), but being able to make the stop a little shorter means it really tucks up well, near no chance of dragging it.

Pete
Old 05-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteW View Post
I moved the Vstroma stand from my K6 to my L2 and made up a stop.

It's an improved copy of the zuk stand anyway (slightly better clearance), but being able to make the stop a little shorter means it really tucks up well, near no chance of dragging it.
Thanks Pete. I'd really like something that tucks up well. Was it easy to rig up a stopper? Could you share your fix?

I'll email vStroma today and see how long before they get new stock. Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
See the clearance differences between '04-'11 OEM and SW-M stands at SW-MOTECH Centerstand (Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, '04-'11) - HPS.05.257.100 : TwistedThrottle.com
Thanks for the link, gw. That explains the clearance differences perfectly. .6" is about 10% of the existing GC, that seems like a significant amount of precious GC, considering that lack of GC is the primary shortcoming of the strom for off road use when compared to the other "adv" bikes with 19" front wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorguy View Post
I have Murph's stand and I think it is an acceptable choice. It is very easy to get the bike up on the stand and it is rigid, fits well and is easy to install.

I have yet to resolve the no bumper issue when mounted on a 2012. Murph is waiting on a mfr. fix for 2012 installs.
Thx, xplore. The Murph's will be my go to if I can't find a significantly better choice. Did he have an eta on the fix for 2012 stroms? Maybe, I'll shoot him an email as well.

At least one person posted in the 2012 forum about how he solved the stopper prob with a Murphs. No pics tho'. Search this forum for centerstand.

Last edited by glasswave; 05-29-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:06 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
Thanks Pete. I'd really like something that tucks up well. Was it easy to rig up a stopper? Could you share your fix?

Mine is crude, a stainless steel U-bolt , a couple of slabs of 3mm aluminium strap for packing and some rubber strips to cut the 'clank'.

A stainless exhaust clamp would work better, but I couldn't get one locally. (Double check, but I THINK 38mm on the U-bolt).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0033.JPG (96.1 KB, 358 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0035.jpg (45.1 KB, 317 views)
Old 06-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
vStroma said:

"We have no frim ETA so it is off until like September.

Kelley"

The Happy Trails designer said that his stand is as strong as any and the "no sit on" warning was a legal disclaimer only. He says he sits on his all the time.

He also says that his uses its own stopper, so it has no banging prob on the 2012 and that neither GC or CC is compromised to any degree worth measurement.

I may go that way.

Last edited by glasswave; 06-02-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:55 PM
$tromtrooper

I've bought three SW-Motech stand for three different Vstroms, each one was improved over the previous. The 2012 is very high quality.

This message and images are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org
Old 06-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcgee View Post
I've bought three SW-Motech stand for three different Vstroms, each one was improved over the previous. The 2012 is very high quality.
Thx.

The SW motech seems to be the "go to" choice for those not concerned about ground clearance. Unfortunately, that rules it out for me.

At this point, it between the Murphs & Happy Trails for me. I am leaning Happy Trails right now since it doesn't seem to need modification for the 2012. The Murphs have come rusted and with missing parts as well, but it's also $30 cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement