2012 centerStand advice? .... - Page 4 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Well Glasswave, based mainly on your recomendation, I ordered a murphs kits ctr stand last Sunday. Got it today and installed it.
Just a couple of thoughts...I'm not sure that it is not going to hit the rear suspension when the rear wheel travels fully. Like other have stated, no instructions, so in my hast to get it on the bike, I neglected to use thread locker, so I guess it is coming back off one bolt at a time to put some "blue" on the threads. And lastly I see that when it is in up position, it touches the kick stand....Anyone else notice this?????????

regards
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 11:42 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PArider View Post
Well Glasswave, based mainly on your recomendation, I ordered a murphs kits ctr stand last Sunday. Got it today and installed it.
Just a couple of thoughts...I'm not sure that it is not going to hit the rear suspension when the rear wheel travels fully. Like other have stated, no instructions, so in my hast to get it on the bike, I neglected to use thread locker, so I guess it is coming back off one bolt at a time to put some "blue" on the threads. And lastly I see that when it is in up position, it touches the kick stand....Anyone else notice this?????????

regards
The install instructions including a decent video are on Murphs' website. And I'll be darned....the kickstand does touch the centerstand..I had not noticed that before......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorguy View Post
The install instructions including a decent video are on Murphs' website. And I'll be darned....the kickstand does touch the centerstand..I had not noticed that before......
I just checked Murph's website and they seem to be working on mods for the 2012 DL650. No ETA but I might wait and see what they do.

copied this from their site: While we have heard reports of some customers performing slight modifications to this stand to work on their new 2012 DL 650 models, it is important that we inform our customers that the design is intended for use on the DL 650 models through 2011 only. We are working on a design change for the 2012's and hope to have them available soon.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

boatin! If you don't feel the need for a centerstand right away I think you will be pleased with Murph's when it is ready. By the way, noticed you are a Mpls guy...I was born and raised in St.Paul....hoping the Vikes and Gophers can get turned around..........!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

I put on the SW-MOTECH Centerstand tonight. High quality and easy to do. About 30 min with a beer. Works great.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

My Motech took me 3 beers to install. I must be slow....
'78 KZ650 - Windjammer & sissy bar.
'05 FJR1300 - highways
'08 Versys - commuter heaven.
'07 DR650 - current bike for playtime.
'12 DL650 - that was fun
'14 DL1000 - current bike main ride.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

So you had your wife install it while you drank beer...good call.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

The SW Motech was a nice install. I was surprised at how easy it turned out to be. I did it in an hour or two, probably 15-30 of that was fiddling with the top right bolt. Then struggled to get it up on the stand afterwards, lol. Watched the video on how to, did a Homer doh! and it was much easier. Nice directions for us mechanically challenged people as well, much appreciated when coming from the hieroglyphic Givi instructions.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default Happy Trails Center Stand

I installed the HT stand this evening in about 15 minutes. It comes already assembled and there are only 4 bolts, 4 washers, and 4 spacers to deal with. The instructions are correct now with the short spacers going on the right side. I did not follow the instructions when installing the bolts. The instructions suggest installing the both left side bolts first but I installed the two top 8mm bolts on each side first. I then rocked it up and installed the bottom 10mm bolts. I was able to thread all four bolts by hand without a problem.

It appears sturdy and I sat on the bike and jumped around on it with all of my 200lbs and it is super stable. It's also very easy to get the bike up on it.

It will not affect cornering clearance but if you are not running a skid plate you will lose some ground clearance. I have the A MotoSuff skid plate and it does not hang lower than that so I didn't lose anything.

I was hesitant to go with it after reading through this thread but I am very happy now.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Ordering a 2013 Glee, starting to contemplate the Farkles.
I've done the search and can't find the OEM Suzuki center stand. Anyone got a part number and a price?
TIA Ian, Iowa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement