Kappa K33N PLX panniers and K46NT top case - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 12:36 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nster View Post
Great write up! and one question... the second picture is gorgeous. Mind if I ask you which camera and lens you used?

Thanks!
Thanks. That was shot with a Nikon D700 with a Nikkor 35mm f/2 prime.
[B][COLOR="Gray"]2012 DL650 Shiro Nakama #27[/COLOR]
[SIZE="1"][URL="http://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/79121-footsteps-lewis-clark.html"]Ride Report: In The Footsteps of Lewis & Clark[/URL][/SIZE][/B]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Everything looks great. I'm with you with the no frills look. Where did you get them?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I think I just might go w/ those but how does it actually attach? Bolts on sides? Detachable? Paintable? I have the copper color and would like paint same.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

Last edited by Phaedrus57; 08-11-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

To answer the above post, you have to have the appropriate rack system and top plate in order to mount these pieces.

Speaking of attaching, I see where it uses the same mounting frames and plates as the Givi PLX system (as it is the same system, just with no frills) , but I also see a set of racks with a K in them, like K3101 for the top case and KL3101 for the side panniers, are those also less expensive versions of the same Givi stuff?

It's very hard to compare the same systems side by side, (on purpose I suppose...)

I think this is the ideal set up for what I want, practicallity without being too much.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:48 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

The 3101 stuff is interchangeable regardless of prefix. At the time I bought this, Kappa versions were not yet available, so I have the Givi PLX3101 side and SR3101 top racks. The Kappa Monolock top boxes include the actual quick release plate that bolts perfectly on to the SR3101.

The Kappa luggage then attaches and detaches from the racks with a turn of the key and a push of the button.

US distributor is Tour and Ride. In Canada, I got mine from A Vicious Cycle.
[SIZE="1"][URL="http://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/79121-footsteps-lewis-clark.html"]Ride Report: In The Footsteps of Lewis & Clark[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by Snowkarver; 08-13-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:15 PM
$tromtrooper

I am looking to buy sidecases this winter.

First i have to decide if i install standard GIVI sidecase (E360 maybe) and a quick removable rack (PLR3101, no ugly rack left on the bike when sidecase removed) or a much more interesting V35 case, (or it KAPPA equivalent) with his PLX3101 rack, wich unfortunately is not quick removable.

I would like to see a picture of the V35 Givi or V33 Kappa from behind the motorcycle, like those we may see there: Comparo bagagerie rigide - Valises pour la DL 650
Yes i know there is a photo with the Kappa but it is not the 2012 model VStrom.

Then i saw this thread, but the 3 pictures on post #1 seem to have been removed.

Any comment and/or photo about this would be appreciated and help me make my decision...
Old 11-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Server seems to have killed my original pics lol. There are quite a few photos of my setup from various angles on my ride report thread - In The Footsteps of Lewis & Clark

The K33s don't look that different on the 2012s than they do on the older model. Also, after a couple weeks I don't even notice that the PLX rack is there. I think that even if I had QR racks I wouldn't bother removing them - its too convenient to just leave them on.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:45 AM
$tromtrooper

Thanks i remember that great report, i will have a look at it again.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Does the K46NT actually need the SR3101/SRA3101 mounting plate? I'm reading that the monolock cases come with the universal mounting plate so I'm curious as to why you would need to buy one. Also, I know these are intended for scooters, but... I'm assuming this would be okay for my '12 Glee? I just don't want this thing falling off at highway speeds. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Kappa K33N PLX panniers and K46NT top case

They've changed the part number to SR3101M. It's an aluminum piece that adds studs in the best locations to mate with the resin plate that comes with every Monolock case.

I've ridden 8,000 highway miles with it, including a couple of 100mph runs in MT and a daylong ride across Idaho with crazy gusty crosswinds, and the topcase was the least of my worries.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement