Motorcycle Consumer News - DL650 Adventure Review - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 08:13 PM
$tromtrooper

Default Motorcycle Consumer News - DL650 Adventure Review

Made the cover of this months issue (May): "Suzuki's DL650 Adventure: equipped, capable & fun!"

Excellent review = long story short, "A fantastic mid-size alternative to taller, heavier more expensive competitors, it truly deserves the name "Adventure."

Get the chance, check it out

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Wonder why they always have to show it nearly dragging the boxes on a curve? True, you can't get a knee down with the boxes on.

But I always wonder why they don't show a Harley or sport bike, or Gold Wing trying to do a fire road or dirt/gravel?

Kind of like trying to run rapids in a sailboat.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-15-2012, 01:35 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

still waiting for my MCN subscription to kick in. I paid for it in Dec. Now 2 calls later --nothing.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

Default still waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Strominator2 View Post
Made the cover of this months issue (May)
I just got my April issue a week ago, they must be sending it up by dogsled. Looking forward to the arrival of May issue.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:26 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Funny how these "old, outdated, underpowered " bikes beat the competition of bikes costing thousands more? Could it be some true motorcyclist actually know what a bike should be without all the electronic garnish that's on some of the other models to try to make you think you're really getting something fantastic. Kinda like traction control, retard the FI (cut the power down) so you can ride it. "Maintenance-free" shaft drive, doesn't require lube like a chain, but every 10k or so you should take apart to lube the splines, more so if you ride in the dirt. Tire pressure sensors, I had two flats on cars/trucks , from different manufacturers, with TPS and neither went off? Sometimes "simple" is really better! Cheers--BB
Old 04-15-2012, 06:33 AM
$tromtrooper

Motorcycle Consumer News Review
Old 05-29-2012, 12:24 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Sometimes pictures say a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzip View Post
Wonder why they always have to show it nearly dragging the boxes on a curve? True, you can't get a knee down with the boxes on.

But I always wonder why they don't show a Harley or sport bike, or Gold Wing trying to do a fire road or dirt/gravel?

Kind of like trying to run rapids in a sailboat.
What I find instructive about the cover photo you refer to is that it shows one of the LIMITS of the bike's (also bag's) design. Unlike a sailboat plotting the rapids, you can realistically drive the V-Strom until something hard touches ground. The bike IS that agile and poised if guided by a rider with sufficient riding experience. Nice to know that scraping the feelers has already been done successfully by a professional rider and that after the feelers touch down, the TraX bags follow behind. Kind of like knowing that that you can loose cornering clearance if certain center stands are mounted.

I would hazard to guess that a higher percentage of V-Strom owners will ride over a fire road or gravel than a Harley, sport bike or Gold Wing. All three lack the ground clearance that the V-Strom has to perform well in those circumstances. Plus, V-Strom owners will tend to get less shaken up if their bike gets nicked by a ricocheting rock. Just compare sticker prices on all those bikes mentioned and you will understand the different priorities had by various riders and their riding styles.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:52 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Breaking conventional "wisdom"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOURBON BOY View Post
Funny how these "old, outdated, underpowered " bikes beat the competition of bikes costing thousands more? Could it be some true motorcyclist actually know what a bike should be without all the electronic garnish that's on some of the other models to try to make you think you're really getting something fantastic. Kinda like traction control, retard the FI (cut the power down) so you can ride it. "Maintenance-free" shaft drive, doesn't require lube like a chain, but every 10k or so you should take apart to lube the splines, more so if you ride in the dirt. Tire pressure sensors, I had two flats on cars/trucks , from different manufacturers, with TPS and neither went off? Sometimes "simple" is really better! Cheers--BB
I totally agree that some mistakenly claim and believe that a 650cc engine is underpowered for touring with passenger and gear. They are wrong. I've ridden an '08 R1200GS and an '06 V-Strom 650. The GS is undeniably more powerful, but that doesn't mean that the 650 Strom is underpowered. If you understand and accept that you may have to downshift more with the Strom and that it's easier to go faster with the GS, there's no reason you can't tour in style and comfort owning a V-Strom for a lot less money. Plus, if riding off-road is realistically on your riding horizon, you will fare a lot better with a bike that weighs close to 60 pounds less (in stock form without bags) than the 1200GS. There ARE ways to temporarily disable the Strom's ABS, just don't ask Suzuki how to do it.

As far as traction control, ABS, tire pressure monitors and other safety features offered on various motorcycle models, they are all useful in certain situations, but it's misleading to say that they are essential to riding safely or enjoyably. I have greater trust in my abilities to stop a motorcycle rapidly during the day with inflated tires having sufficient tread on a dry clean road than on bald, deflating tires in the rain traveling offroad at night. I've never had my tire pressure monitors on my motorcycle fail to show me that my pressure is lowering (albeit slowly) and that I need to patch the leak BEFORE it becomes too late. My understanding is that new cars are mandated to have pressure monitors in stock form. If a four-wheeled vehicle could use them, wouldn't it be more important on a two-wheeled motorcycle that is by comparison, "walking the tight rope"?

Regarding chain versus shaft-drive, both have their proper application and offer various benefits and downsides. Neither is superior in all usage nor is absolutely necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement