Windscreen and Buffeting Thread for the 2012+ DL650... The only one!!! - Page 34 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 12:31 PM
$tromtrooper

I have 2 helmets and with boths the noise is coming from the closed visor. Much quieter with it opened, too.
Now i have a Givi airflow, and thats a good improvment. I wear earplugs anyway all the time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Question MRA "XCT" - a two-in-one solution..?

My original plan was to buy a taller wind screen for less wind noice in cold conditions, and cut down the OEM screen for more cooling and less wind noice in warm weather.

Maybe I can get a two-in-one screen with the MRA "XCT"?

The actual screen without the spoiler is 1 cm shorter than the OEM screen and the different shape appears to make it even lower compared with the OEM screen.

With the adjustable spoiler it's 11.5cm taller than the OEM screen.

I plan to do a ride from Denmark to Morocco in the spring.
The first part of the ride through Northern Europe could very well be a cold one, and when I get to Southern Europe/Africa I expect warm weather.

If it's easy to remove the spoiler from the MRA "XCT", it could be just the right screen for that ride - when it's cold I can mount the screen in the high position and use the spoiler and when it gets warmer I can mount it in the low position and remove the spoiler and put it in my luggage.

Any feedback on the subject from people using the MRA screen would be very welcome.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I bought the madstad bracket and the MRA Vario X-creen and I love it. I have the extension in the lowest position and slightly angled towards me. The combination of the two is incredible. I didn't realize how loud or how much buffeting there was with the stock screen.

If you get the madstad bracket, you have to buy the screen for the 04-11 wee.

2012 DL650 - Havin' a blast!
2006 Suzuki VStar 1100 - To low to the ground, got tired of dragging the boards.
2009 BMW K1200GT - Couldn't do the high prices for EVERYTHING
2008 Yamaha FZ1 - Had to give up the sport bike style
2004 Suzuki SV650S - Outgrew it
2006 HD XL1200C - Tried but couldn't do the HD thing
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Thanks for the feedback eaglefrq.

Can you tell me, if it's easy to remove the spoiler from the screen - for example, by disconneting it where the "bars" is attached to the screen mounted brackets, leaving only the brackets on the screen?
Old 12-07-2012, 07:43 AM
$tromtrooper

Hi all
I received the GIVI Airflow today as an early b'day pressie
Will be testing the screen this weekend on the run to Urbanville for our chrissie overnighter get together.
It's a 2-3 hour ride of highway and twisties, so will be a good test to see how it performs, I will report my findings next week.

Cheers Gotawee
Old 12-09-2012, 06:15 AM
$tromtrooper

Would like to report that the Airflow is great no more wind noise or buffeting at slow, medium or hwy speeds, no bug splats on helmet visor either also protects the cockpit, tankbag and your body well from the rain and I can hear the engine of my bike so it's from me for the Givi Airflow.

Cheers Gotawee
Old 12-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotawee View Post
Would like to report that the Airflow is great no more wind noise or buffeting at slow, medium or hwy speeds, no bug splats on helmet visor either also protects the cockpit, tankbag and your body well from the rain and I can hear the engine of my bike so it's from me for the Givi Airflow.
Hi Gotawee, did you mount the lower screen onto the middle set of fairing holes? Also wondering how high you prefer the slider (guess I would also need to know how tall you are too). I like the Givi a lot, but haven't had a chance to ride a long distance and experiment with the Airflow yet, so I'm curious how others are setting theirs up.
[B][COLOR="Gray"]2012 DL650 Shiro Nakama #27[/COLOR]
[SIZE="1"][URL="http://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/79121-footsteps-lewis-clark.html"]Ride Report: In The Footsteps of Lewis & Clark[/URL][/SIZE][/B]
Old 12-11-2012, 05:09 PM
$tromtrooper

Mine is mounted at the lowest holes.
The sliders are usually at 1 or 2 in. above the lowest position. It does not improve anything to have it higher (except is more ugly).
Old 12-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I received my Madstadd brackets and 22": windscreen yesterday. Have installed and will be going for a ride at some point this weekend to test out the positioning of the screen and angle. I've tried a few positions for the height/rake just in the garage to see what range of movement I'll get, and have found that the windscreen touches the mirrors when the handlebars are at full turning lock, after having been moved maybe 2.5-3" from the bottom position. I've got the brackets mounted in the bottom position on the bike.

On the positive, on the short ride to the shops, even with the windshield in the lowest height setting, and with the rake at about 65 degrees ('default' from installing), the buffeting was significantly reduced.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:35 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default 2012 Windshield Options

I am experiencing the usual buffeting and wind noise on my Glee. I have read "the buffeting" thread. I have been leaning towards a Givi Airflow replacement windshield, but I ran across another option...

http://www.palmerproducts.co.uk/ -> Accessories -> Vstrom>2011

This option looks like a MadStad, but the stock windshield can be used with it. This would costs far less.

Which option would you all chose?

1. Givi Airflow
2. Bracket w/ stock windshield
3. Madstad w/ aftermarket windshield
4. Other - Please describe

Thread merged. Only one windscreen/buffeting thread for the Glee allowed. GW

[B]2012 DL650A[/B] w/ Givi Crash Bars + AF3101, Touratech Skid Plate, EB Headlight Relays, AdventureTech Mirror Ext + Peg Lowering Kit + Fork Brace, Signal Dynamics Back Off XP, Lowering Links, Handlebar Risers, G2 Ergonomics Handguards and Plastics, Omni-Cruise, Radiator Guard, Garage Door Opener, TomTom GPS Charging Port, Dan Vessel Soft Luggage Stand-Off, Nelson-Rigg CL850's

Last edited by greywolf; 12-12-2012 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Only one windscreen/buffeting thread for the Glee allowed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buffeting , glee , madstad , windscreen