Windscreen and Buffeting Thread for the 2012+ DL650... The only one!!! - Page 33 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

i have mirror extenders and maybe my spacers are only 18mm but cheaper than new screen that sometimes still ddoes not fix it. I would like to try a bolt on screen spoiler may be the final fix but at this point I have no buffering just wind noise
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Just tried with 18mm spacers on highest mount. Been out done 175mls all speeds (upto 80mph still running in) and roads, much better no buffering only downside is the mirror problem, but mine are adjusted to just miss screen
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

So I dropped the bike - it toppled against the edge of a gate. The only damage is a scratch on the blade of my Suzuki touring screen. Much too bad to polish out.
What are the chances of just getting the blade, do you think? Is it the same as the MRA Vario screen? Maybe they could supply that part alone.
What thoughts?
Old 11-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'd be willing to sell my touring screen to you since I don't really like it. I've never run into the wind roar or buffeting that some people talk about, but I'm too tall for it and I don't like how it looks so I'm really on the edge of getting a new, different screen. PM me if you can't find anywhere else to sell it to you.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:20 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Smile Nearly there...

Happy to report I received my MRA Vario Touring screen

https://www.mrashop.de/erp/catalog/n...0%2C0%29&spr=D

And have rid myself of the awful buffeting that was starting to impact my ability to think straight for the first hour or two at work each morning. It ships with two different length spacers which are supposed to be used to adjust the tilt correctly, but with good experience adjusting the tilt on the stock screen I have been trying different heights and tilts to those suggested by MRA and with better results. Each works OK and I've found at least two settings with smooth, clean air at all speeds. Some serious yeeehaaaa's in my helmet later I am now absolutely delighted with my choice of bike. I wear in ear headphones usually blasting some good music while I ride so the noise isn't a problem, but there definitely is still quite a bit of noise... But...

Before over engineering the whole thing (surprisingly, the best performance I've gotten at all heights and tilts is with the vario wing as far down as possible) I am still convinced the mirrors play a substantial part in the problem. I took them off a few days back with the stock screen tilted and bombed down the motorway and back, which without being able to see behind yourself is quite terrifying, and can attest there is a SUBSTANTIAL difference with them out of the wind stream... So I've found a cheap(ish) pair of Tuorno's based on what I've read here and will report back when they get here... But thought to also mention I found the following set as well,

Mirror 4 SUZUKI Van Van Address V-Strom B-King Gladius SV650 GSR750 Bandit Gemma | eBay

And have ordered them too. I think the 'carbon' look will blend in well with the bikes tupperware and they seem aerodynamic enough for the price. I guess the real clincher will be the clarity of the mirrors. I'm quite keen to see what the description claims is the ability to tighten the top joint... Which is where I've always struggled with the cheaper sets. Anyone tried these before?

Will report back but for now I can definitely recommend the MRA. my supplier here in South Africa only had the lightly smoked one in stock but it really does blend in nicely and I' happy with the aesthetics too. Looks better than stock IMHO.

Unbelievable what a difference it makes to my daily commute to be focused on something other than the buffeting. It was starting to become an obsession!

EDIT: I'm 6.1" with 34" inseam. Stock seat (with a rolled up cloth raising the front rubber points up about 2mm, which has leveled out the foward slope/tilt perfectly for me) and 35mm risers with the bars set as far back as possible. I've taken the brake line out of the guide and let it come around the fork a little which was all I needed to do. No lowering... At full lock the clutch and accelerator cables are nearly (NEARLY) at full stretch but all working well in the end.

Richalnd Rick's footpeg lowering kit, fork brace and stand foot enlarger on their way to me... Then should be able to ride and ride and ride... Yeeehaaaa!
Oh... And park up nicely too

Last edited by M@rk; 11-18-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Installed a Madstad bracket and their 22" adventure shield last night.
Test ride this morning. About 100 miles---- finally no wind noise in my helmet. No wind blowing in my face.
Should have done this 8800 miles ago---when it came home from the dealer.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneman View Post
Installed a Madstad bracket and their 22" adventure shield last night.
Test ride this morning. About 100 miles---- finally no wind noise in my helmet. No wind blowing in my face.
Should have done this 8800 miles ago---when it came home from the dealer.
I just ordered it myself actually. Looking forward to trying it out.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowkarver View Post
Just ordered the Givi Airflow, and a pair of those Aprilia mirrors just for good measure (who wouldn't want at least a little Italian sportbike on their ride).
Finally managed to get out for a short highway ride this morning.

Problem solved at anything less than 65mph. Even with my buffet-y XD3, the Airflow + Tuono mirrors make it eerily calm and quiet - for the first time I could clearly hear the engine even with earplugs. The screen blocks so much air (half raised) that my helmet peak does not catch any wind when shoulder checking.

At 65mph+ there is a mild vibration from the peak but that's probably unavoidable and a fact of life with the Arai. I'm going to try it with my Icon street helmet and expect it to be dead calm. Happy camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
[B][COLOR="Gray"]2012 DL650 Shiro Nakama #27[/COLOR]
[SIZE="1"][URL="http://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/79121-footsteps-lewis-clark.html"]Ride Report: In The Footsteps of Lewis & Clark[/URL][/SIZE][/B]
Old 12-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Hey everyone
Considering the 'The only one!' Title of this thread... is it safe to ask specifically about wind noise here?
I've sorted out all my buffeting issues and am loving my new bike, but now have to use 'industrial strength' earplugs to avoid the really, REALLY loud wind noise I get. Strangely, the noise is worse with my visor down, as if there's airflow just under my helmet creating the sound almost like when you blow sideways across an open bottle.
Anyone tackled this? Can't quite figure out what to try... tank bag?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Moderator++

Ear Plugs do the trick for me and should be worn anyway. Different helmets have an effect. The tank shape causes wind to run into the stomach and up under the bottom of the helmet. The chest zipper tabs on my jacket point up when I'm riding. A helmet skirt cuts noise and is great in cold weather but not so much in heat.

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buffeting , glee , madstad , windscreen