Windscreen and Buffeting Thread for the 2012+ DL650... The only one!!! - Page 32 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 12:51 AM
Foxentec

Hey Wintrmute, I would agree with the longer bolts. I had to hunt to find some quality metric bolts but it was worth the search.

Jon

AMS Rear Rack / Weld86 Skid Plate / Wendell Cases / Eastern Beaver 3CS / Stebel Horn /

Admin ChristianADVRider.com
FoxenTec.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 01:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriderstaff View Post
Hey Wintrmute, I would agree with the longer bolts. I had to hunt to find some quality metric bolts but it was worth the search.
I had a look at that on Sunday but wondered how you did it with the stock rubber mounting bits. Did you pop them out from the windshield plastic and then put a spacer between the windshield and the fairing, and the bolt+washer thru the windshield?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-31-2012, 05:04 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

if you go back through this thread you will see that i have taken some photos of mine. What I did was remove the screen, take the lids off 2 marker pens and drill a hole in the end, put the lids between the screen and the rubber nuts, insert the bolts and tighten. The pen lids worked well due to the size plus they are re-enforced and are a good size.

I hope that makes sence
Old 10-31-2012, 05:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

Ah, gotcha.
Do you remember what size the bolts were?
I saw one place say M5 but not sure if that was the older model..
Old 10-31-2012, 03:28 PM
Foxentec

Wintrmute, The way MKY explained is perfect. Should not be affected by vibrations. Thanks MKY!

Jon

AMS Rear Rack / Weld86 Skid Plate / Wendell Cases / Eastern Beaver 3CS / Stebel Horn /

Admin ChristianADVRider.com
FoxenTec.com
Old 11-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintrmute View Post
Ah, gotcha.
Do you remember what size the bolts were?
I saw one place say M5 but not sure if that was the older model..
M5 x 8

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-09-2012, 06:52 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Thumbs up Tilt stock windshield... winner idea!

Thank you VERY MUCH everyone for your input... took me a while to read through, but eventually all I knew for sure I could try immediately was the 'tilt stock windshield' idea... and it certainly made a difference.

Coming of an R1150R, sold in exasperation recently with a box full of windshields where the generic MRA vario touring setup worked best... I'm convinced putting a lip or fin on top of my now tilted stock windshield will give me the fine-tuning I want. One setting seldom works through my day to day speeds and I've gotten used to flipping the top wing on the vario... when necessary... despite lots of warning not to do so while in motion

As a matter of interest... when i struggled to get the stock bolts on the top of the windshield holes to 'catch' the nut, I stuck my arm up from under the whole fairing and could reach and push the rubber grommet thingy toward the front to get the bolt to take... and I got to thinking...

if there's all that space in there... perhaps I (or someone in here far more capable ) could engineer some kind of 'adjustable' system inside the fairing. Would be awesome no? being able to push the bottom of the screen out and in 'a touch' while on the move. May have to sacrifice rigidity to allow for the top mounts to 'hinge'... or make it a stop, adjust, resume kinda thing... but who knows...

Watch this space
Old 11-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Did the spacers (about 15mm) under the bottom mountings on the middle setting and what a differance for me 5" 7', tried for 70 miles yesterday, may put off buying a new screen and test some more spacers. Cheap fix worth trying
Old 11-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

So I tried the "20mm spacers under bottom two windshield mounts" thing recently. I'm doing this with the screen in the highest position.

I think maybe 20mm (measured) is too much -- or else I've done something wrong.
My mirror stalks now hit the windshield before I reach full-lock!

I can move the stalks around a bit to get by, but it's pretty close, and the windshield is on quite an angle now.

On the upside, didn't notice any buffeting on a quick run on CityLink at 110kph.

I think I'll try and find some 10-15mm spacers instead.. but this seems to be on the right track.

Last edited by wintrmute; 11-10-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

See attached (I hope) an image of windshield with 20mm spacers.
Note the way the RHS mirror stalk is now practically touching the windshield when steering lock is on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg windshield.jpg (89.0 KB, 167 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buffeting , glee , windscreen